By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - "The Conduit is generic"

I don't see why anyone expects this game to be good.

Around the Network
Electro General said:

its an exclusive Wii game.

MontanaHatchet said:
whorenraged said:
MontanaHatchet said:
whorenraged said:
MontanaHatchet said:

See, here I was thinking that I was trying to save the world in my shooters, or at least contribute towards a common viewpoint. Where are all these shooters where you're going towards a different goal? You lost most of your credibility when you said that Call of Duty 5 was about saving the world.

I agree with Shadowblind, your examples are just stupid.

Well I can say the same about this entire post.

"Did you see what I did there?"

...It's official, I've just been owned. I'm dealing with a master here.

I am not a master, just single poster. And is good for you to admit you just got owned.

Ahh, well played. And this time, it wasn't sarcasm.

Seriously, is this guy for real?

Yeah, I finally have a sig.

linkthe2nd said:
MontanaHatchet said:
whorenraged said:
MontanaHatchet said:
whorenraged said:
MontanaHatchet said:

See, here I was thinking that I was trying to save the world in my shooters, or at least contribute towards a common viewpoint. Where are all these shooters where you're going towards a different goal? You lost most of your credibility when you said that Call of Duty 5 was about saving the world.

I agree with Shadowblind, your examples are just stupid.

Well I can say the same about this entire post.

"Did you see what I did there?"

...It's official, I've just been owned. I'm dealing with a master here.

I am not a master, just single poster. And is good for you to admit you just got owned.

Ahh, well played. And this time, it wasn't sarcasm.

Seriously, is this guy for real?

Okay, now I'm starting to get annoyed. Could someone just say something literally for once?

Hammer-of-Dawn said:
Mass Effect isnt generic..........and the conduit was a vital piece of the plot.

wtf with all these Mass Effect haters..........

Mass Effect sucks, thats whats with all the Mass Effect haters

Around the Network

The problem is that is seems generic for almost a decade ago. And not from a story point of view. From every gameplay video I've seen it looks like a very pretty quake 2, or a less violent quake 3. It looks to be extremely run of the mill run and gun. That doesn't make it bad, but it also doesn't earn it a ton of attention or hype.

The modern FPS is highly directed, cinematic, scripted, immersive, and more often than not relies on cover, and stop and pop gameplay using regenerative health to keep the pacing up and encourage big action moments while still keeping a reward/punishment system in a high tension environment.

The old style of FPS is run through corridors, circle strafe in openings, run and gun, cannon fodder AI, one man army style. It uses health meters and armor, and health packs hidden in levels. It relies on resource management and exploration. Your Turok's your Quakes, your perfect darks, your golden eyes. Less scripted events, less stop and pop, more run and gun, more explore.

The boss from the conduit videos could've come straight out of Turok Dinosaur hunter. A big open space, you circle strafe and shoot until he falls. Compare that to resistance 2 where a boss fight is a cinematic fight through crumbling buildings against a twenty story tall monster that relies heavily on scripted events, trigger points, and crazy things happening.

The conduit isn't accused of being generic because it's aliens and saving the world. It's accused of being generic because it seems to be based on a gameplay model that went out of style more than five years ago. I may still buy it, but I also still love Quake 2. It won't be a bad game, but you can't expect the same level of hype that other FPSs that have evolved get.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

Ari_Gold said:
Electro General said:

its an exclusive Wii game.

you know how every game with a gun on other consoles get massive hype for no reason? same reason, plus this is looking like the wii's first AAA FPS

For example. Look at the latest develop diary. Keep in mind, this is the PR. This is what they are bragging about bringing to the table.

He talks about advanced AI like "backing away from the player" and "dodging by running to the right or to the left" and "throwing grenades". Well I guess in turok, enemies didn't ever back up.

Enemies have more than one death animation too!

Or talking about how the music changes at different points in the level, or the music changing when you solve a puzzle!

It's not accused of being generic for it's story, or art direction. Those aren't bad. It's because they are hyping the kind of game you'd expect to play on PC in 2002. It's just not the modern vein of FPS. Which again, doesn't make it bad. It just doesn't bring in much excitement.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

The_vagabond7 said:
The problem is that is seems generic for almost a decade ago. And not from a story point of view. From every gameplay video I've seen it looks like a very pretty quake 2, or a less violent quake 3. It looks to be extremely run of the mill run and gun. That doesn't make it bad, but it also doesn't earn it a ton of attention or hype.

The modern FPS is highly directed, cinematic, scripted, immersive, and more often than not relies on cover, and stop and pop gameplay using regenerative health to keep the pacing up and encourage big action moments while still keeping a reward/punishment system in a high tension environment.

The old style of FPS is run through corridors, circle strafe in openings, run and gun, cannon fodder AI, one man army style. It uses health meters and armor, and health packs hidden in levels. It relies on resource management and exploration. Your Turok's your Quakes, your perfect darks, your golden eyes. Less scripted events, less stop and pop, more run and gun, more explore.

The boss from the conduit videos could've come straight out of Turok Dinosaur hunter. A big open space, you circle strafe and shoot until he falls. Compare that to resistance 2 where a boss fight is a cinematic fight through crumbling buildings against a twenty story tall monster that relies heavily on scripted events, trigger points, and crazy things happening.

The conduit isn't accused of being generic because it's aliens and saving the world. It's accused of being generic because it seems to be based on a gameplay model that went out of style more than five years ago. I may still buy it, but I also still love Quake 2. It won't be a bad game, but you can't expect the same level of hype that other FPSs that have evolved get.

Well, I'm not really a fan of the modern evolution of FPS's. So I'm glad this game hasn't simply adopted the formula of the time. I much prefer the Half-Life style of doing things, and even more so the STALKER approach with indepentantly acting AI and an open environment, though I don't expect that to happen properly on consoles any time soon.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

Demotruk said:
The_vagabond7 said:

Well, I'm not really a fan of the modern evolution of FPS's. So I'm glad this game hasn't simply adopted the formula of the time. I much prefer the Half-Life style of doing things, and even more so the STALKER approach with indepentantly acting AI and an open environment, though I don't expect that to happen properly on consoles any time soon.

And that's perfectly fine. I'll enjoy it too. But for people wondering why there isn't as much hype for this as pretty much any other FPS coming out on HD consoles, that's why. It's a relic of a past age. Doesn't mean it's bad, but it's not exactly going to generate much excitement either.