By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - "The Conduit is generic"

makingmusic476 said:
flagship said:
The Conduit is called generic because it looks like every other generic last generation shooter: Doom 3, Black, Killzone and all those other games that failed to standout as anything other than bland.

If nothing else, you have to give the original Killzone the credit of having an excellent artstyle.  The Helghast are as iconic as you can get, and it basically pioneered the "dark and gritty" movement in shooters (there were others before it, but they certianly weren't common), paving the way for Gears of War and the like.

I know! I have this poster!

Although the pic doesn't do it justice. The Helgast are just sci-fi nazis, or Guerilla would have you believe.

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

Around the Network
Strategyking92 said:
makingmusic476 said:
flagship said:
The Conduit is called generic because it looks like every other generic last generation shooter: Doom 3, Black, Killzone and all those other games that failed to standout as anything other than bland.

If nothing else, you have to give the original Killzone the credit of having an excellent artstyle.  The Helghast are as iconic as you can get, and it basically pioneered the "dark and gritty" movement in shooters (there were others before it, but they certianly weren't common), paving the way for Gears of War and the like.

I know! I have this poster!

Although the pic doesn't do it justice. The Helgast are just sci-fi nazis, or Guerilla would have you believe.

They made posters of that? That must be awesome. :O

And this is my favorite artwork thus far this gen:

the hellghast aren't as Iconic as the armor it ripped off:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerberos_saga

not trolling on hellghast, as I loved killzone, but the game gets too much credit for its "creation" of the red eyes and such. my friend and I got the game simnply because hellghast look like Panzer Corps protect gear soldiers.

I got it when I bought a bunch of E3 crap along time ago. That, and a pre-release god of war poster.. Suffice to say, I had no idea how big of a game it would become.
Awesome pic, BTW.

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

spdk1 said:

the hellghast aren't as Iconic as the armor it ripped off:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerberos_saga

not trolling on hellghast, as I loved killzone, but the game gets too much credit for its "creation" of the red eyes and such. my friend and I got the game simnply because hellghast look like Panzer Corps protect gear soldiers.

I suppose they aren't truly original, but the Helghast designs weren't based on Jin-roh.

Here's a pair of posts from Tempy and Iain Howe on Neogaf, two developers in the employ of Guerrilla Games:

Tempy

Not this fucking shit again. Look, it's 2003 old news.

I saw the Jin-Roh anime after we've already had a design (though of course there's a whole bunch of other Jin-Roh material before the anime), and showed it to the lead character designer who said he hadn't seen it before and didn't base/rip it from Jin-Roh. He's way more of a 2000AD fan anyway than a manga/anime one. Both Jin-Roh and Killzone borrow heavily from 30s/40s fascism and warfare.

The armor is completely different except for the color; and the only real similarities are the mask and glowing eyes.

Jin-Roh's armor is plated metal, while Killzone's isn't. Etc. Look, I love Jin-Roh, but you're heavily mistaken if you think Jin-Roh is completely original regarding the designs.

Iain Howe

I spent a LOT of time down in the Visualisation office and I never saw any Jinroh reference art. Once you've taken the Nazi uniform as your base and decided to go the fully enclosed armour route, is it really possible to get anything that DOESN'T look like that?

Not saying they don't look similar, but just saying that sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, so to speak.

Outisde of the eyes, the Helghast are more akin to this than anything:

And that's just the basic Helghan trooper.  You also have characters like these:

Around the Network

fair enough, I've seen others that ended up similar like the unrealistic shock troops in Medal of honor airborne.  I always assumed they looked up "panzer corps" in google and saw the red eyes motiff and it clicked.  I always thought I read an article where someone said it was a visual reference to it, but I may have read a fan pretending to know what he was talking about or something, so I take my "ripoff" stance back in light of word from the actual developers.  but seriously the comparison is uncanny!

there are plenty more examples of this:

HL2

star wars:

resident evil

etc....lol

Let's be honest: Goal objective gaming of any kind is now generic.

http://www.shanepeters.com/

http://shanepeters.deviantart.com/

Achievement is its own reward, pride only obscures.

HATING OPHELIA- Coming soon from Markosia Comics!

BTW, I haven't been following Killzone 2 because of a lack of a ps3, but those new character designs for the Hellghans are awesome makingmusic!!

Shanobi said:
Let's be honest: Goal objective gaming of any kind is now generic.

LOL!!

Torillian said:

I have played with a mouse, and usually the aiming reticule remains steady in the center while the mouse turns you, this allows for fast turning based on how quickly you move the mouse, while you can still shoot. With a Wiimote the situation is different, turning depends on you pointing at a certain part of the screen, I would suspect that this would make turning and shooting more difficult on the Wii than on the PC or the gamepad. For certain games this works fine, such as RE4 since the console version doesn't allow you to strafe anyway and you always have to stand still before you shoot, but other games such as Unreal Tournament where turning has to be extremely fast and precise it would be a detriment.  This, coupled with the fact that noone holds a wiimote as steadily as they do a mouse, and I think the difference between the mouse and Wiimote are much greater than you are assuming.

I don't think the Wiimote is better in all FPS situation as you seem to think, I believe the two are just different, and which you prefer will simply come down to preference and particular situation.

You seem to forget that the FPS games on Wii, all that I've played, feature one button that will lock the screen as well, allowing you to point anywhere on the screen without looking in any direction. Add to that adjusting the size of the aiming window, and you can have precision of any kind you want.

I'm somebody who is an elitest snob when it comes to FPS games. I won't touch that dual analogue crap. PC has always whipped the shit out of it, and anybody who says otherwise would get slaugtered in any match where they'd go up against a mouse and keyboard, with dual analog. That said, the Wii is at least equal to the mouse and keyboard to me. Tearing people up online has never been so easy, or fun. If you can aim a gun in real life that is.

If you have no sense of aim, I guess you're screwed. (But hey, we're all playing games aiming with guns, so this is the natural progression of things.)

Next gen: Head tracking, and movements based on things like the Wii Balance board!

The future is going to rock. (And if you can't let go of dual analog, enjoy your rocking chairs and commence whittling.)

http://www.shanepeters.com/

http://shanepeters.deviantart.com/

Achievement is its own reward, pride only obscures.

HATING OPHELIA- Coming soon from Markosia Comics!