By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - "The Conduit is generic"

I'd just say the artstyle is generic. It looks like old school Duke Nukem with some Halo-esque aliens thrown in. And just look at the main character!

Around the Network

He looks like secret agent Joe Smith wearing random plastic gadgetry from some late 80s sci-fi movie.

That he looks awesome! Duh!

KylieDog said:
makingmusic476 said:
I'd just say the artstyle is generic. It looks like old school Duke Nukem with some Halo-esque aliens thrown in. And just look at the main character!

What about him?  He looks awesome.

Now THAT'S generic :P

Shades are cooler than space marine helmets.

Didn't you guys learn that in school?

Who would you rather be in Mortal Kombat? The totally badass Johnny "Nutpunch" Cage or one of the boring robot clones?

Around the Network
MontanaHatchet said:

See, here I was thinking that I was trying to save the world in my shooters, or at least contribute towards a common viewpoint. Where are all these shooters where you're going towards a different goal? You lost most of your credibility when you said that Call of Duty 5 was about saving the world.

I agree with Shadowblind, your examples are just stupid.

this

Shadowblind said:
whorenraged said:

I see many people claiming that The Conduit is generic. Because it is all about Aliens, we have to save the world, no major addictions in the genre despite gameplay (which is on it's way to be the best on consoles btw).

Ok, so based on this criteria I did a list of games that we can call generic also, based on the same thoughts for the Conduit. (The ones I own are marked with a *)

- Resistance 1/2 - Has Aliens, we have to save the world - GENERIC GAME

- Halo 1/2/3 - Aliens, Aliens, Aliens - EPICLY GENERIC GAME

- *CoD5 - WW2, We have to save the world - GENERIC GAME

- *The Darkness - Weird Creatures, so - GENERIC GAME

- Unreal Tournament - Generic name, and on top of that, there is "aliens" - GENERIC GAME

- Left for Dead - ZOMBIES AGAIN??? - OMMMG GENERIC

I don't remenber anything right now. The list can be updated. Your thoughts...?

-R1 and 2 I couldn't stand, so I'm not even gonna try to defend them.

-Halo 1 was the first true Console FPS, which led to the all console FPS today, while 2/3 were anything but generic, due to its massive reforms to multiplayer, and huge amounts of content for players and friends. 

-If you ragged on the original CoD, I would've been able to say something, it was stunning for its time. But again, Don't care to much for CoD 5. 

-Why the hell did you even include the Darkness? It wasn't even that good.

-Unreal Tournament: High octane, insanely fast paced combat based on huge feilds that is made to be more traditional then other games. Not generic, traditional.

-Left 4 Dead: Oh HELL no you didn't just say Left 4 Dead was generic. There is no game like this anyway, and even the ZOMBIEs are original. They run faster then you do for crying out loud, and versus mode is an innovation the FPS world had almost never seen before. Different spawn points, and the game plays differently every time you play it.

I'm not saying Conduit is generic, since I've yet to hear anything about it. I'm just pointing out how stupid your examples are.

DAMNIT! You proved him wrong!

May I also add for L4D - although I am not as huge a fan as most people, it also has the AI director, which makes enemies a joy to kill, and truely randomizes the levels. That is definetly original, as valve built that from scratch.

BTW, The conduit looks generic. There ya go.

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

The Conduit is called generic because it looks like every other generic last generation shooter: Doom 3, Black, Killzone and all those other games that failed to standout as anything other than bland.

i just wanna test out the motion+ with it, then i can really compare the mouse with the wiimote fairly, think of the possibilities with a 1:1 precious and reaction time with the wiimote yum.... must test....... gimme....

flagship said:
The Conduit is called generic because it looks like every other generic last generation shooter: Doom 3, Black, Killzone and all those other games that failed to standout as anything other than bland.

If nothing else, you have to give the original Killzone the credit of having an excellent artstyle.  The Helghast are as iconic as you can get, and it basically pioneered the "dark and gritty" movement in shooters (there were others before it, but they certainly weren't common), paving the way for Gears of War and the like.