By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - What If... PS3 Were Dropped To $200

NJ5 said:
Falcon095 said:
blazinhead89 said:
PS3 sells 2,000,000 in a Month causing Sony to go bankrupt

This

They'd need to sell (actually produce, since that's when they lose money) a few more than that... I'd give them about a year, maybe less considering investors and bondholders would start leaving the sinking ship earlier.

This is a pretty ridiculous question though, not even worth thinking about.

Well.. with their actual situation.. it wouldn't surprised me that 2m would be enough. I agree with what you said about the question anyway.

||Tag courtesy of fkusumot - "Heaven is like a Nintendo theme park!"||Join the Medal of Honor: Heroes 2 American League HERE!||

Around the Network
Falcon095 said:
NJ5 said:
Falcon095 said:
blazinhead89 said:
PS3 sells 2,000,000 in a Month causing Sony to go bankrupt

This

They'd need to sell (actually produce, since that's when they lose money) a few more than that... I'd give them about a year, maybe less considering investors and bondholders would start leaving the sinking ship earlier.

This is a pretty ridiculous question though, not even worth thinking about.

Well.. with their actual situation.. it wouldn't surprised me that 2m would be enough. I agree with what you said about the question anyway.

Nah, 2 million would probably not even make them lose a $ billion. Sony is not doing THAT bad, they have billions in cash.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Microsoft would purchase all of Sony's good studios and drop 100 megatons at E3 about games that are now exclusive to the 360 that used to be Playstation exclusives. MGS4 still wouldn't be on the 360 however....

Love the product, not the company. They love your money, not you.

-TheRealMafoo

What if ferraris were free??? :O

not but for realz, that would destroy the Sony gaming division

Let's assume they sell the same amount of consoles as the Wii, which will be around 30+ million or so consoles in 2009. Then at a loss of $200 per console they would lose another US$6 BILLION dollars from the SCE division alone.

This could be made worse by the exchange rate as at the current rate they are unlikely to be breaking even at even US$400. Given they are already forecast to lose around $5 billion in the next financial year, you could safely assume that cutting the PS3 to US$200 would at least double the entire company's loss for the year.

Never argue with idiots
They bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience

Around the Network

I'd be happy o.O I'd actually go buy a ps3 and a couple games. That being said, they'd probably make more money this way through software sales. They might even catch up Nintendo if they did it.

The reason the ps2 dominated the market was because of it's relatively cheap price and amazing game library. At the moment, not many people want to spend 400 dollars just to buy a system, especially in today's economy.

SCE would go bankrupt.

Now, assuming Sony had massive hoards of money and the PS3 cost $150 to make, because it's more fun:

-The PS3 would begin to handily destroy the 360 in sales every week.
-The PS360 gap would close, probably by the end of 2009.
-The PS3 would compete with the Wii in sales.
-PS2 sales would go down significantly
-X360 sales would go down significantly
-PS3 sales would go up significantly

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

HappySqurriel said:

Why don't we discuss something which has a possibility of happening?

What if the PS3 doesn't see a price reduction to below $300 until Christmas 2010?

That was a contradiction...

But, the PS3 would die. Is that the answer you wanted to hear? The PS3 would die, SCE would go under, the PS brand name would be lost.

That was aimed at everyone who thinks everything would be calm and rosy if Sony never cut the price of the PS3. As the competitors' prices fall, the PS3's price would stubbornly remain the same. Developers would see these faltering sales, and perhaps begin to make third party exclusives for the other consoles. The PS3 now has less games and is more expensive. It would fail.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

2 million a month or more, and Sony dies

It will definetly take over 360 but probably not the Wii.

Help I cant get my trophy card to work.