By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - What If... PS3 Were Dropped To $200

Dodece said:
The answer is it wouldn't catch up at all. Doing so would cause Sony to go into a financial death dive. Which would quickly be reported in the media, and consumer confidence would plummet. Along with retailer confidence in line with the fear that they would be stuck with products no longer honored by a defunct company.

Basically it would be the herald of a company doing its utmost to kill itself. Which in the real world would have investors filing suit against management, and it would basically result in a cluster fuck which would see the products own demise, and the company promptly dismantled.

The question is irrelevant, because it is contradictory. How can the PS3 succeed by being that price if it destroys the product in the process. You cannot win a war by having your soldiers shooting themselves in the head.

This is pretty much it right here.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

Around the Network
Necromunda said:

Okay this isn't a reality thread, i thought i cleared that up. Should of been more specific, I was just curious to see ideas in terms of sales and whatnot. No shit they would go bankrupt and make a nose dive when they have yet to make a profit on the PS3 at $400 putting them obviously into a larger, substantial heap of issues at $200.

Yeah we know its a what if topic.  The problem is here we know what kind of financial situation sony is in and its hard to imagine a price drop like that without thinking of the consequence.

I TAKE NO SIDES

keep dreaming ^^ that would totally ruin sony...

My console sales prediction for the end of 2009?? [made January 2 2009]
PS3: 30M -- XBox 360: 40M -- Wii: 72M -- PSP: 65M -- NDS: 138M

PS3 sells 2,000,000 in a Month causing Sony to go bankrupt

if that were to happen the PS3 would start at 55 million consoles sold at the beginning of 2010. but seriously if this were to happen there would be no more Sony.

Around the Network

Why don't we discuss something which has a possibility of happening?

What if the PS3 doesn't see a price reduction to below $300 until Christmas 2010?

Necromunda said:

Okay this isn't a reality thread, i thought i cleared that up. Should of been more specific, I was just curious to see ideas in terms of sales and whatnot. No shit they would go bankrupt and make a nose dive when they have yet to make a profit on the PS3 at $400 putting them obviously into a larger, substantial heap of issues at $200.

In that case why not just say $100 or even $1 since it doesn't matter?  Or you could just not complain when people answer your question.  You asked what would happen, they answered.

HappySqurriel said:

What if the PS3 doesn't see a price reduction to below $300 until Christmas 2010?

i thought you said a possibility not impossible

Necromunda said:

This could be the biggest waste of a thread then. Sales go up. Simple economics. I mean, this is almost stupid.

HappySqurriel said:

Did you bother reading the topic ? The point of the thread is to discuss something which doesn't have a possibility of happening.