By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The Official Killzone 2 Thread

Reasonable said:
madskillz said:
windbane said:
Reasonable said:
windbane said:
madskillz said:
I played it - three times - and think it will be a good game. However, as enamored as folks are, I am not impressed. It's like most shooters I have played. The demo locked up twice for a few seconds. The visuals weren't that stunning. It seemed a bit out of focus - like a lense with crap and mudspots on it. Maybe it is the way it looks in war.

There are a few demos I have played and enjoyed the demo. Each demo really sells me or leaves me hanging. Unless Sony sends me a review copy or I find it for under $25, I won't be picking this up soon.

consider me shocked.

It's his subtelty that I like. It's also fun to try and guess what his post would be if the title was a 360 title.

Hey, at least he's thorough by saying he played it 3 times. I'm sure Sony is in a hurry to send him a review copy...

Haha. You make me laugh. Being honest - and we've gotten most Sony games - LBP, a couple copies of SOCOM - so I'll get it. If it was a 360 title, it would have gotten the same treatment.

Just because someone has a different impression than you doesn't make it wrong.

Seriously, what is just so awesome about it? It's a good game - and if demos are supposed to influence a person - what did it do different that COD: WaW didn't do? The detail in the faces in WaW was leaps and bounds better than "KZ2."

I saw nothing earth-shattering about "KZ2" and the 360 - only mentioned by both of you - was nowhere in my impression.

EDIT: Tell you what - create a thread about "Kill Zone 2" and only allow positive reviews if you don't want folks voicing their opinions.

Yes, but there are balanced opinions and biased ones... and your posting history makes it quite clear to me where you sit.

I think KZ2 looks good but would agree I've seen nothing amazing about it either. It's the fact you consistently overpush the quality of 360 games vs underpushing PS3 titles that I'm referring to, therefore I don't actually believe your 'if it was 360 it would have gotten same treatment'... message.

You are entitled to your opinion. Yes, I have more games for the 360 than my PS3, but ... I still get games for the PS3 as well. What you fail to see is - I review games - not systems. Games. Where did I say the PS3 in the minireview? I only focus on games.

Sure, I enjoy my 360 but I like my PS3 too. If it's a good game, or a great game, it doesn't matter what system it's on.

Seriously, why should I just bash "Kill Zone 2?" I played LBP - and fell asleep on it. Granted, I saw some cool things in "Too Human," but overall, it was a turd.

As I have stated before - contrary to popular belief, I am not a 360 fanboy. And I have the bar set the same for GAMES.

I am not going to hype/tout something just because it's on said console - in this case, the 360. I see "Kill Zone 2" as a good shooter, just not great.

You can say I am pro-360, or in bed with Microsoft and hate Sony, and I really could care less. I review games - and if the game is not great, I have nothing to gain by lying about it. I call it like I see it for any game I review on any system.

Around the Network

thats it killzone 2 is officialy AAAaa++ the game have 123 reviews with an average score of 9.3.

http://www.n4g.com/PS3/games/g-24194/tt/metareviews.aspx

i mean thats like a lot of reviews.

terislb said:

im sorry CGI i didnt mean to bash anyone.. whati mean to say is ...  if you think this is perfect... you dont know about the games that are even better.. and thats why you should never call something "the best" unless youve seen them all..which ..in most cases is very difficult to do unless you have a lot of time /money or emulators on your hand

Never said it was perfect. I just said it's the best FPS I've ever seen.

Now, if I don't have this time/money/these emulators, I can only judge based on the FPS games I've played (or played a demo of):

Counter Strike

CS Condition Zero

CS Source

Medal of Honor: Rising Sun

Medal of Honor: European Assault

Battlefield 2: Modern Combat

Unreal Tournament III

Battlefield: Bad Company

Haze

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (currently the best full game)

Left 4 Dead (second best full game)

If you count BioShock, I would have to put that at the top, CoD4 in second and L4D in third. KZ2 seems to be about par with BioShock quality, which is damned good. Based on the full game, I can decide whether it's better or not as good as BioShock.

So, right now,

1) BioShock, Killzone 2

2) CoD4

3) L4D.

I haven't played a lot of FPS, I know. I owned three FPS in my >30 games on PS2.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

terislb said:
your enthusiasm is cute and all. but stop using phrases like "the best ive ever seen" or " perfect" the game isnt perfect... its good yes but so are a lot of other games , so if you want people to actually care about what you say you have to heed a degree of realism.. sure i would want it to be perfect but that i want it doesent mean it is no matter how fiercely i defend that opinion. and if you go on how good /bad something is ..when it obviously isnt people stop caring about what you say ..... and if you now tell me that you dont care about what i/others think.. then whats the point of stating your opinion in the first place

so for instance the remark about the best ai ... yes it is fun.. and i felt reminded of the time when i played half life ...i loved to replay a situation over and over again seeing the enemy soldiers react differently each time ..but if you have been playing only a few games of the genre so far that doesent mean much .. .

you know ...dont take this personaly .. al ot of people of the 3 different current gen consoles do it.. its good if you like the game but dont lead a crusade against anyone who disagrees . it gets all relative once you lived through a few console generations

You've earned my respect.

+1.

madskillz said:
terislb said:
your enthusiasm is cute and all. but stop using phrases like "the best ive ever seen" or " perfect" the game isnt perfect... its good yes but so are a lot of other games , so if you want people to actually care about what you say you have to heed a degree of realism.. sure i would want it to be perfect but that i want it doesent mean it is no matter how fiercely i defend that opinion. and if you go on how good /bad something is ..when it obviously isnt people stop caring about what you say ..... and if you now tell me that you dont care about what i/others think.. then whats the point of stating your opinion in the first place

so for instance the remark about the best ai ... yes it is fun.. and i felt reminded of the time when i played half life ...i loved to replay a situation over and over again seeing the enemy soldiers react differently each time ..but if you have been playing only a few games of the genre so far that doesent mean much .. .

you know ...dont take this personaly .. al ot of people of the 3 different current gen consoles do it.. its good if you like the game but dont lead a crusade against anyone who disagrees . it gets all relative once you lived through a few console generations

+1.

I apologise for liking this game. Sorry. Nobody's allowed to enjoy it, because it's an FPS, and it's "not innovative"

I don't mind what others think. If somebody makes a post like Madskillz does, I'm fine with it. It goes over why he dislikes it, and how it could improve. That's okay.

What isn't okay is "ZOMG KILLZONE 2 SUCKS IT'S WORSE THAN COD4, WORSE THAN HAZE! ZOMG! I HATE IT SO NOBODY BUY IT CUZ IT SUXORX!". That's just fucking annoying.

Around the Network
Kantor said:
madskillz said:
terislb said:

+1.

I apologise for liking this game. Sorry. Nobody's allowed to enjoy it, because it's an FPS, and it's "not innovative"

I don't mind what others think. If somebody makes a post like Madskillz does, I'm fine with it. It goes over why he dislikes it, and how it could improve. That's okay.

What isn't okay is "ZOMG KILLZONE 2 SUCKS IT'S WORSE THAN COD4, WORSE THAN HAZE! ZOMG! I HATE IT SO NOBODY BUY IT CUZ IT SUXORX!". That's just fucking annoying.

It's my opinion. Everyone is entitled to them. And I won't call it garbage or the like. It's a good game - I'm not disputing that fact - but my main thing is - it doesn't break new ground like Bioshock, Mass Effect, even COD 4 did. I definitely want to check out the full game and will note the positives in the game. However, just like any other game, if it doesn't cut it, it doesn't cut.

I am glad you liked the demo - it would have been nice to actually let you open the floodgate and get off the riverbank, IMHO.

And I did laugh at tilting the Sixaxis and watching the screen lean back.

@ CGI-Quality

You can't be serious. So, let me get this straight - you want a sterile thread with only positive views about the game. Interesting. So, you are saying you want to hear from only people who are convinced this game - based on the same 10-minute demo we have all played - will decimate all.

Fine. I'll bite. But I want to leave the word of the day with you:

Propaganda: 'Propaganda is the dissemination of information aimed at influencing the opinions or behaviors of large numbers of people. As opposed to impartially providing information, propaganda in its most basic sense presents information in order to influence its audience. Propaganda often presents facts selectively (thus lying by omission) to encourage a particular synthesis, or gives loaded messages in order to produce an emotional rather than rational response to the information presented. The desired result is a change of the cognitive narrative of the subject in the target audience to further a political agenda.

Me - off-topic? Just because I voiced my opinion about the game? Wow ... just wow.

I don't want to start trouble, but please - in the initial part of the thread, tell posters you want 'only favorably opinions' of the game and see what folks say.

I am leaving your 'happy place.'

Kantor said:
terislb said:

im sorry CGI i didnt mean to bash anyone.. whati mean to say is ...  if you think this is perfect... you dont know about the games that are even better.. and thats why you should never call something "the best" unless youve seen them all..which ..in most cases is very difficult to do unless you have a lot of time /money or emulators on your hand

Now, if I don't have this time/money/these emulators, I can only judge based on the FPS games I've played (or played a demo of):

Counter Strike

CS Condition Zero

CS Source

Unreal Tournament III

Haze

If you count BioShock, I would have to put that at the top, CoD4 in second and L4D in third. KZ2 seems to be about par with BioShock quality, which is damned good. Based on the full game, I can decide whether it's better or not as good as BioShock.

So, right now,

1) BioShock, Killzone 2

2) CoD4

3) L4D.

I haven't played a lot of FPS, I know. I owned three FPS in my >30 games on PS2.

now sir dont be mad.. its not my intention to fuel the fire between "lolz kz2 sucks" and "its the best game in the history of evar" what i want is people to be less absolute ..if a game is "only" very good lets call it that and not nitpick about it only because i own the other console .. or in the other extreme give it too much praise and overlook its flaws  because i only own that console

i didt not mean to insult you or hurt your feelings.. you just seemed to represent the other extreme of giving it too much praise despite its flaws

as for your list.. i have no problem calling it the best you have played so far : )

if i may humbly suggest a few other games for you to try  you can get most of them for both the pc and the ps2

half life (1) + opposing forces , deus ex , the mercenaries (1!) , system shock 2 , unreal tournament ,quake 2 , fear ( the sequel will be released in a few days)  the chronicles of riddick .while most of them look very outdated by todays standards.. their gameplay is still fun if you can give it a chance ..especially system shock 2 . if you enjoyed bioschock you should try that one

terislb said:
Kantor said:
terislb said:

Counter Strike

CS Condition Zero

CS Source

Unreal Tournament III

Haze

So, right now,

1) BioShock, Killzone 2

2) CoD4

3) L4D.

now sir dont be mad.. its not my intention to fuel the fire between "lolz kz2 sucks" and "its the best game in the history of evar" what i want is people to be less absolute ..if a game is "only" very good lets call it that and not nitpick about it only because i own the other console .. or in the other extreme give it too much praise and overlook its flaws  because i only own that console

i didt not mean to insult you or hurt your feelings.. you just seemed to represent the other extreme of giving it too much praise despite its flaws

as for your list.. i have no problem calling it the best you have played so far : )

if i may humbly suggest a few other games for you to try  you can get most of them for both the pc and the ps2

half life (1) + opposing forces , deus ex , the mercenaries (1!) , system shock 2 , unreal tournament ,quake 2 , fear ( the sequel will be released in a few days)  the chronicles of riddick .while most of them look very outdated by todays standards.. their gameplay is still fun if you can give it a chance ..especially system shock 2 . if you enjoyed bioschock you should try that one

Mercenaries isn't an FPS, there's no way I'd be able to find Half Life anywhere ever, I have Deus Ex, don't know why I haven't played it, System Shock 2...hmm, again I'd never find it, UT...no thanks, Quake 2...no thanks, FEAR 2 put me off FEAR, The Chronicles of Riddick just looks weird.

I'm sure Half Life could be better, but it's only fair to compare this to console FPS, right? And my statement still stands. KZ2 is set to be the best FPS I have ever played.

Half-life was only 99 cents on Steam the other day...

:P