By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Have Western RPGs supplanted JRPGs?

I have only played one Ultima game, it was the one in the SNES about the murders/kidnaps (using an emulator too), and it was very funny to carry clothes and wood around haha I can't stand Ultima-style graphics, seems like I have to turn my head to play it correctly

the words above were backed by NUCLEAR WEAPONS!

Around the Network
salaminizer said:

I have only played one Ultima game, it was the one in the SNES about the murders/kidnaps (using an emulator too), and it was very funny to carry clothes and wood around haha I can't stand Ultima-style graphics, seems like I have to turn my head to play it correctly

Isometric view, you mean?

badgenome said:
salaminizer said:

Isometric view, you mean?

yeah, that twisted isometric view sucked IMO. but yeah, not exactly the sprites or the graphic style, which is OK for me

the words above were backed by NUCLEAR WEAPONS!

badgenome said:

VI was much the same, though some of those are definitely new. Shamefully, I've never played VII. But my interest is piqued!

I guess I should clarify that I was talking about Exodus and Quest of the Avatar. Specifically the NES versions, as I'm not sure how castrated those were compared to the PC versions.

Some... You could 'talk' in PC version just by typing stuff. You could talk about npcs jobs,  etc. :)

Special keywords were highlighted,

The port for the SNES looks graphically much like the PC-port, but has a much more complicated control scheme, no character portraits and has a simplified talk system combined with some censorship due to Nintendo's policies. On the other hand, it's display is fullscreen.

@Deneidez: Well, thankfully, I did play VI on PC. But QotA and Exodus were much the same, I take it?

Beh Lem FTW!

Around the Network
badgenome said:
@Deneidez: Well, thankfully, I did play VI on PC. But QotA and Exodus were much the same, I take it?

Beh Lem FTW!

Actually they weren't. I think since aklabeth(first ultima) everything you wanted to say, you could just write in ultima. Nes versions also had more like rpg maker graphics than western graphics and they did came much later than PC versions. Exodus for example was made in 1983 for PC and nes version came out 1987.

IV looks like this on PC,

BrayanA said:
WRPGs > JRPGs, cos gameplay > gamestory IMO

although it will come down to opinion.......i would say mostly wrp makes a better game than jrpg, its much more commerially viable and appeal to a bigger crowd............imo they r as good as each other but most would prefer a wrpg these days

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

Words Of Wisdom said:
Shadow)OS said:

WRPG's are just Shooter/Action games. The main difference is that your character is nameless and you have a few extra options to tinker with, rather than being named "Master Chief" or "Marcus". Because that way you aren't just controlling some bad ass, YOU ARE THE BAD ASS ZOMG

Fallout? Shooter. Mass Effect? Shooter. Too Human? Shooter.

Why is this a pattern? Lets take a look at where most WRPG's reside: Xbox 360. Hmmmmmmm...

I don't care what culture makes the RPG, as long as they are the turn based or real-time formulas. Since the Japanese tend to to make the more classic RPG's, I buy those games more.

Let me make it clear: I really don't feel comfortable calling most WRPG's an RPG. There are exceptions like Oblivion and Fable that I would gladly call a WRPG, but most "WRPG"'s are just shooter games in my eyes.

This post is ignorant on a massive scale.  The platform on which most WRPGs reside is most definitely the PC.  Claiming that "WRPGs are just Shooter/Action games" makes it clear that you obviously have no idea what you're talking about.

Try playing anything pre-Mass Effect from Bioware, anything by Black Isle or Troika or Obsidian to know what I mean.

Neato.

There's something about telling me to ignore all the latest WRPG stuff from the last few years, as well to look at the much older games (from now defunct companies) that strikes me as odd.

Maybe it's all that stuff about WRPG's 'evolving for the better' as everyone is talking about? I'm supposed to disregard the 'evloved' WRPG's and look towards older models as "definitive"?

Perhaps your qualm with what I said might be reasonable had we this discussion 5-7 years ago.

And for the record:

Words Of Wisdom said:
Having people think of Elder Scrolls and Fallout 3 as definitive WRPGs is depressing.

It's like holding up Rumble Roses XXX as the definitive game in the fighting genre.

Rumble Roses is a Wrestler. And yes, Wrestlers are shitty lukewarm (don't want to "offend" people) no matter where you look.

By life end:

• Wii- 100 million+
  • Xbox360- 35~40 million
  • PS3- 30 million
  • PSP- 30~32 million ------------- FAILURE
  • NDS- 85~90 million (Skeptical)  - FAILURE
  • NDS- 100 million+ (Optimistic) -- Success!

badgenome said:
shio said:
Anyone that has seen my posts knows that I'm a WRPG nut and I think that JRPGs are vastly inferior. JRPGs are suffering from the lack of evolution. They are still developed with juvenile stories, archaic dialogue systems, shallow combat mechanics, etc... they need to change things.

I have always said that they needed to copy from WPRGs, but they could aso take elements from Adventure games, and that means:
- Have more mature and better written stories
- Implement a dialogue system directly into the story (even if it doesn't impact the story, it would still give the illusion of choice and more interactivity)
- Have more non-combat gameplay

I think it would do nicely, and it would still alow to keep a linear storytelling.

Agreed, for sure. They have yet to evolve much past the old Ultima games, in which I would amuse my eight-year-old self by telling Lord British "no" 1000000 times.

Meh that reminds me of Golden Sun for GBA.

But they're are COMPLETELY useless there.

I think to a large degree, WRPGs are supplanting JRPGs. But that makes sense, I'll use my gaming tastes as an example:

I have always liked games where my choices/actions matter.

For PC gamers, if you can recall, think back to Wing Commander 1. Way back in 1991 the outcome of the game was basically up to the player. Not to much their choices, but their skill. If you failed a bunch of missions, the Terran Confederation would lose systems and you'd get pushed all the way back into human space. Do well on missions and you'd forge ahead into Kilrathi space - with more than one available ending. Games like this make the user feel like their contributions matter. You don't just repeat the same areas until you "get it right."

Flash forward to now, western gamers generally don't like RPG that are effectively just "role WATCHING games." Queue up a set of skills, finish a fight, and watch more cutscenes. Take a game like Mass Effect though, and even though it's a shooter, you very much feel involved in the story. And even though the outcome is pretty much determined, it's totally up to you how you get there. You don't feel like your choices are arbitrary.

And I see people that complain that in shooter/RPGs that player skills matter more than character skills. Isn't that always the case? Unless you can select any set of skills and win, knowing what skills to use/level up, what gear to equip etc, IS a player skill, just a different one than aiming and shooting. If a game requires no player skill, then it's just a movie with lots of pauses.