By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Have Western RPGs supplanted JRPGs?

JRPGs have always been a very niche genre. But the exceptions (Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Dragon Quest) sell better than any WRPG has ever sold.
We could argue all day here on which is the "superior genre". I prefer JRPGs for greater characters, focus on art design rather than graphics and overall greater stories. But that's just me. I think the greatest game of all time is Chrono Trigger. What do I know?

Quem disse que a boca é tua?

Qual é, Dadinho...?

Dadinho é o caralho! Meu nome agora é Zé Pequeno!

Around the Network
outlawauron said:
noname2200 said:
outlawauron said:
Riachu said:
sapient said:
I think JRPGs have their place and WRPGs theirs. They both need to learn from each other.

What could WRPGs learn from JRPGs that they haven't already?

Make a game that is filled to the brim with bugs and glitches and intolerable load times.

Make a game with a decent story, maybe some character development. I could go on.

In fairness, WRPGs are improving in that area, most notably Bioware.

Bethesda, on the other hand, still hasn't heard of the term "character," let alone "development."

Still, WRPGs are for the most part getting better in terms of both plot and character.

Riachu said:

Some WRPG stories are arguably the best in any game out there(i.e. Planescape:Torment)

Whoawhoawhoawhoa!!!

Let's not get carried away, now.

Exactly. They are getting better but I struggle to care about the characters in most WRPGs.

Wow dude, you MUST play Planescape Torment it is one of the best RPG's in History, with incredible story and characters (that in my opinion are better then 95% of RPG's ever released), and the main character , well it's hard to describe its just so incredible, this game is a must for any RPG fan.

Characters, well since you create them in WRPG's there is less development scripted throught the story, you're not observing a character, you  should feel like you're the cahracter.(something like in Warhammer or D&D RPG games)

I want more JRPGS!! im sick of these WRPGS have yet to play one were you just can't spam one singe button and pretty much never go game over.

GIVE ME THE 90'S RPGS BACK!!!

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

I gave turn-based my best effort. Made it to the third disk on LO before I just could not face another random battle. Then tried 'The Third Age' hoping the score and character classes would keep me hooked. While I appreciate the effort that must go into a beautiful, well-written JRPG, I find the androgynous male characters hard to relate to and I need to scrap in real time.

The jrpg is more of a stylized art form while the wrpg (srpg, action rpg or whatever) are at least trying to create the more immersive experience I'm looking for. I'm still looking.

I will try FFXIII to find out what all the fuss is about but with Sir Petey courting the casual crowd, Bioware may be my best bet. Hope they take their time and get it right.

we still haven't had a FF/KH/DQ this gen so theres no way saying that the WRPG has suplanted the JRPG and also persona 4 proves that argument wrong

Around the Network
Bloodlustre said:
I gave turn-based my best effort. Made it to the third disk on LO before I just could not face another random battle. Then tried 'The Third Age' hoping the score and character classes would keep me hooked. While I appreciate the effort that must go into a beautiful, well-written JRPG, I find the androgynous male characters hard to relate to and I need to scrap in real time.

The jrpg is more of a stylized art form while the wrpg (srpg, action rpg or whatever) are at least trying to create the more immersive experience I'm looking for. I'm still looking.

I will try FFXIII to find out what all the fuss is about but with Sir Petey courting the casual crowd, Bioware may be my best bet. Hope they take their time and get it right.

Erm... Don't place your bets on FFXIII it may look pretty but the FF series has been in decline for a while now... If you want a real judge of JRPG, play FFX/6/4, Chrono Trigger, or Golden Sun. There are a ton of amazing RPG's out there. Just don't let FFXIII be the final say.

By life end:

• Wii- 100 million+
  • Xbox360- 35~40 million
  • PS3- 30 million
  • PSP- 30~32 million ------------- FAILURE
  • NDS- 85~90 million (Skeptical)  - FAILURE
  • NDS- 100 million+ (Optimistic) -- Success!

Lale said:
JRPG are mostly for young gamers (below 15) while WRPG are for serious, mature gamers.

WRPGs have far better story telling, have more advanced features, are bigger and usually have better graphics.

The only good "JRPG" in my opinion is Zelda series, because it doesn't try to be RPG, it's just a fantastic action adventure.

Are you serious? You got that completely reversed. JRPG's are usually alot more complex. It's been a while since I've played a WRPG that required a decent amount of thinking. There's a reason why braindead shooters are so popular in America.

As for JRPG's, I honestly haven't been able to get into them, not sure why. They usually just don't catch my interest. It's probably the fact that they just don't seem to stand out very much - there's not very many high rated JRPG's out there....on PS3 at least....it's the only console I play. The latest FF does look good though, I love the visuals. I'll most likely be getting WKC when it's out....not sure if that'd be considered a JRPG.

I would've bought Valkria Chronicles if it had multiplayer - I still think leaving it out was a waste of so much potential.

http://soundcloud.com/cathode

PSN: Parasitic_Link

In terms of quality: yes (for this gen). In terms of sales: yes. But they are so different, it's like comparing beat em all and plateformers...

Why do these vs J/WRPG threads always result in the same thing.

JRPGS are cinematic storylines that don't really require much interaction outside of movement and killing. With the only goal to follow whatever story the creators want you to do.

WRPGS vary in what they are trying to do. They typiclly are more openeded in regards to traveling and story elements. They also expect the player to be the hero.

If you like to watch a story JRPGs are your thing. If you like to interact with the stories WRPG are the way to go. Outside that what's the point. Though I do indeed believe we will see a slow decline in the Japanese market for the classic design. Currently WRPG and JRPG don't penetrate is what I believe to be more culture rather than play style. JRPGs have teenage characters eventually maturing back by some form of asian philosphy. WRPGS can have this, but the cast of characters and philisphy fit more american standards. What would happen if a Western Developers did a game JRPG? would it appeal to western players? and vice a versa

Also we will see Character Development in various games. Especially in the realm of online games. The reason for this is that it can help prolong game play experience.

Squilliam: On Vgcharts its a commonly accepted practice to twist the bounds of plausibility in order to support your argument or agenda so I think its pretty cool that this gives me the precedent to say whatever I damn well please.

I guess you are talking mainly about console games only? Theres games like neverwinter nights etc. on PC. Personally I prefer WRPGS as you have freedom to do anything you like(roleplay) in them. Last time I tried JRPG I was confronted with endless WALLS OF TEXT, which was really, really boring... After those I was confronted with endless fight encounters, which I couldn't avoid anyhow. Downside was also that I couldn't really roleplay anything as I was forced to use premade characters and forced to follow premade story.