By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Have Western RPGs supplanted JRPGs?

JRPG are mostly for young gamers (below 15) while WRPG are for serious, mature gamers.

WRPGs have far better story telling, have more advanced features, are bigger and usually have better graphics.

The only good "JRPG" in my opinion is Zelda series, because it doesn't try to be RPG, it's just a fantastic action adventure.

Around the Network

Mass Effect, Fable 2, Oblivion and Fallout 3 are without doubt the four best RPG's on consoles thus far this generation. Valkyrie Chronicles would also make that list but it's an SRPG which isn't commonly thrown in with JRPG's (I always thought they were, but I keep getting told I'm wrong).

So yes, in both sales and quality WRPG's are OWNING JRPG's.

And as the Xbox 360 is destroying the other consoles in terms of WRPG (and hell, JRPG) content, it is owning all RPG's.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Since WRPG's are in general more open ended, have proper branching dialogue and allow me to customise my character far more from both a visual and statistical standpoint I enjoy them more. Thats not to say that JRPG's are an inferior genre, I just like other aspects of Role-playing that JRPG's (the ones I've played) don't emphasise. That however doesn't stop me from enjoying games like pokemon and mother, but by the nature of their machanics I could never enjoy them as much as the planescape torments, arcanums and fallouts of the world.

I also wish there was more fusion between the genres as Anachronox (which is half JRPG half neo-noir hitchickers guide to the galaxy esq. madness lol) stands as one of the best and most unique RPG's ever made.

Now in regards to the topic, no they haven't. The biggest JRPG's (minus wow and diablo) are far far more popular then WRPG's. However WRPG's seem to on average have higher sales (and are gaining some traction in Japan slowly), but it would be surprising if they didn't considering Europe+Australia+America is a far larger potential market then Japan.

Well i think overall WRPG's have always coexisted with JRPG's and this will continue, in old times they were Betreyal at Krondor, Eye of the beholder, Bard's Tale or Might and Magic (etc. etc. )at this same time gamers enjoyed Secret of Mana, Dragon Quest or Chrono Trigger.

Later (1997-2000) on there were games like Baldurs Gate, Fallout 1&2 and Final Fantasy 7, Xenogears on Consoles.

The only thing is that WRPG's are becoming an important genre on the consoles (they were alwasy popular, and availbility on consoles have only showed its true i popularity), which used to be a domain of the JRPG's. I think JRPG's could use a bit of change and become less linear (to some extent) but i dont think anyone should be worried, JRPG's will continue to sell.

I love both JRPG's( started playing them a bit later ) and WRPG's, im playing fallout 3

Riachu said:
sapient said:
I think JRPGs have their place and WRPGs theirs. They both need to learn from each other.

What could WRPGs learn from JRPGs that they haven't already?

Make a game that is filled to the brim with bugs and glitches and intolerable load times.

Make a game with a decent story, maybe some character development. I could go on.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network
outlawauron said:
Riachu said:
sapient said:
I think JRPGs have their place and WRPGs theirs. They both need to learn from each other.

Make a game that is filled to the brim with bugs and glitches and intolerable load times.

Make a game with a decent story, maybe some character development. I could go on.

I don't think you played the right WRPGs.  Some WRPG stories are arguably the best in any game out there(i.e. Planescape:Torment)

Riachu said:
outlawauron said:
Riachu said:
sapient said:

I don't think you played the right WRPGs.  Some WRPG stories are arguably the best in any game out there(i.e. Planescape:Torment)

I haven't played too many WRPGs on PC, so I know I have missed out on some. But the console WRPGs fit that bill pretty well, imo.

outlawauron said:
Riachu said:
sapient said:

In fairness, WRPGs are improving in that area, most notably Bioware.

Bethesda, on the other hand, still hasn't heard of the term "character," let alone "development."

Still, WRPGs are for the most part getting better in terms of both plot and character.

Riachu said:

Some WRPG stories are arguably the best in any game out there(i.e. Planescape:Torment)

Whoawhoawhoawhoa!!!

Let's not get carried away, now.

noname2200 said:
outlawauron said:
Riachu said:
sapient said:

In fairness, WRPGs are improving in that area, most notably Bioware.

Bethesda, on the other hand, still hasn't heard of the term "character," let alone "development."

Still, WRPGs are for the most part getting better in terms of both plot and character.

Riachu said:

Some WRPG stories are arguably the best in any game out there(i.e. Planescape:Torment)

Whoawhoawhoawhoa!!!

Let's not get carried away, now.

Exactly. They are getting better but I struggle to care about the characters in most WRPGs.

Can't both genres coexists peacefully on one console??

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)