By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What will be the next game(s) to get Haze-ed?

shakarak said:
twesterm said:
shakarak said:
I don't understand how most of you think the conduit is going to flop. Once sega starts advertising this puppy I think it'll sell alot more then other fps on the console.

I expect Deadly creatures to flop

If it's a Wii game hyped only for graphics it's an obvious flop, if it's a PS3 game hyped only for graphics it's AAA.

sorry, couldn't resist

I was not aware the conduit was only hyped for it's graphics.  Most the trailers you play the game seems extremely well made.  Constant chatter on the radios, huge bosses that don't look like something off gumby, haloish type of story with aliens and saving the world.  

I think if this game gets commercials that are not retarded like metroid prime 3's were (playing mp3 in a fucking airport are you serious?!)  This game will appeal to the masses of older guys who got the wiis for there familys, followed by guys like me who are in college and love a good fps, and of course the conduit junkies who would buy it just to prove a point (most the people who are pro conduit on this site)

I just hope they really advertise the only component of this with maybe a commercial showing off the wii speak function.

Now a game like deadly creatures that has had alot of development time, higher paid voice actors, and been pushed back, is the kind of game that is going to not make a turnaround unless it sells well over the normal third party game.

I admit I haven't payed much attention to the Conduit, but everything I have heard about it has been about the graphics.  The initial hype for the game even started based on the graphics and nothing else.

Also, don't really take my comment to mean anything, I was just being sarcastic.

Around the Network

Can we please clarify what we are talking about here?

Clearly we're looking for a hyped game, but are we looking for one that...

...is good and flops? (aka getting BG&E'd or Okami'd)

...sucks and flops? (which I would consider to be Haze'd)

...sucks and does well (let's call this one WiiMusic'd)?

Heavy Rain certainly. Not Lair- or Haze bad, but it will get mid to high 70's on Gamerankings and really struggle to sell a million copies.

KillZone 2 will succeed pretty well but won't become the mega-hit many on this site are hoping for. It'll get rufly 88.5% on GR and sell 2.5 mill lifetime.

misterd said:

Hate to say it, but i agree.

madskillz said:
I dunno if Too Human was a flop. It has worts and isn't a bad game if you can get past the control issues and the way the story just ends.

As far as Haze-ed - I have 3 games that I think will flop HARD.

1. KZ2. I think Sony will send this game to a big reviewer, it will get panned, and Sony will do a SOCOM: Confrontation on it and then release it without reviews.

2. Alan Wake. How many years has this thing been in development? I think it has potential, but I don't expect folks to get it and it will go down in flames.

3. Another Viva game - MS, give it up. You wanna do casual, make it very fun.

4. Lastly, gotta go with Halo Wars. The demo video I saw made me think about a niche following. And consoles can't do RTS like PCs can.

5. Bonus round: WoW on any console.

Care to make a bet on that?

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Around the Network
misterd said:

Sucks and Flops, hence the Haze-ed in the title.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

I think Ninja Blade is next on the list

ssj12 said:
twesterm said:

I'm going to guess Halo Wars (well, gameplay wise at least).  It's going to sell based on the Halo name but that's about it.

Agreed, Halo Wars will flop. Not the correct genre for console at all.

FPS was also said to not be a genre for consoles... until Halo came along.  Considering Halo initially started out as a RTS game and then morphed into a FPS, need to see hw Halo Wars will turn out.  IF the game has a good interface that is pretty easy to jump into, Halo Wars could end up being the game that puts RTS on the map of consoles.  Or, the interface could flat out suck, and prove to be another Haze.

A console IS a computer, without a keyboard.  ANY game can be a game for a console, if done right.  The idea a genre doesn't belong on consoles is why EA pulled the turn-based world domination mode from Kane's Wrath on the 360, because supposedly the console isn't the right place for turn-based strategy games.  Well, guess which sold more on consoles, Civ:Rev or Kane's Wrath?

Well technically it seems that the original poster is asking two questions. Either it is what is the next game to flop, or its just name games you think are going to flop. Honestly the second question is boring. We get that question a dozen times every month, but the first question is something we get once in a blue moon. It means you have to be aware of release lists.

To me that would mean either Star Ocean of Killzone 2. Honestly I do not think the expectations for Star Ocean are unrealistic, and Lost Odyssey proved that to be a good launch window. The title will clear a million units in my opinion, and for both the console and the genre that is a very solid showing.

Other posters said it in a diverse way Killzone 2 was basically proclaimed to be the second coming of Christ for two years solid. This game was more then justification for buying the console at full price, and ahem yeah some posters labeled it the Halo killer. Which honestly isn't going to happen. Then to exacerbate the situation the development costs often sighted at sixty million damn near require this game to clear three million unit sales in the first three months during a launch window that cannot support that. Let alone to consumers still glutted from the holidays.

Killzone 2 is probably going to be viewed as a flop. With so much vested it has to perform at insane levels. It not only has to be the gold mine Halo 3 was, but it also has to sell as well. All of which in the middle of February. That cannot happen especially on the PS3 when the user base seems to have gotten itself a case of the blahs. Look at what the did to Resistance, and that was a marquis title. I mean Wii owners do not do that Mario, and 360 owners did not do that to Gears. What is to be made of that.

I am not mind you saying that Killzone 2 will be panned by reviewers. I am just saying that the PS3 owners aren't going to give the game the love it deserves regardless, and it sure as hell is going to be a big loss in some ledger.

I'm going to go with Skate 2.