By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - the novelty of wii

If I were you, I wouldn't fear the Wii novelty too much. Most people that say that actually want the Wii to die, because they were surprised by its success, like everyone else, and it threatens their console of choice. Notice that the same people that say that, are cheering each other when their company of choice trips over themselves to implement a (bad) copy of what Nintendo innovated. Then, they will tell you it's better, and sometimes, in the same sentence, they will tell you they don't understand why Nintendo have patents, which are laughable patents, but nonetheless prevents their company of choice of 'innovating' what Nintendo has done. Doesn't make sense ? Well, I don't think either. These people actually want Nintendo to die while giving away for free all their innovations that others are unable to do, and it won't be good unless implemented on their console of choice. So don't fear for the novelty. The thing is, we didn't even see all Nintendo innovations yet. They said before launch, that they would add some channels, and that the possibilities of these are huge. The vote channel is a success already. It uses the Mii BTW, the very same things that some immature people call "childish" (must be some teens). I mean, the Wii is already a novelty and a killer outside of playing games. So don't fear for the novelty part.

Around the Network

Kwaad said: For a optimal Wii setup, your looking at around 400-500$ for a wii setup... without a game. The Wii is really very expensive. I think the 360 is cheaper... (if you dont count the online) If you count the online... the PS3 is slighly more expensive than the Wii, but has alot coming. fooflexible said: Sorry to double post I just wanted to respond to this. Kwaad what are you talking about? What 400-500$ Wii setup are you refering to? The Wii comes with wires, controller, even wireless interenet connection, AND a game for $250. What are you spending an extra 250 extra dollars on? The 360 is another $50 for the core system without a game OR wireless internet. The PS3 is 250 dollars more for a system without a game OR wireless internet. Lets not forget Wii games are 10 bucks cheaper, too. We all know you love the ps3 but if your going to come out with absurd comments like this at least do us the pleasure of a cost break down. As for the ps3 being SLIGHTLY more expensive then the Wii, if your were getting the 60gb model of the ps3 you could get 2 Wiis and 2 extra games for the same price.
Kwaad argues (foolishly IMO) that the Wii purchase requires 3 additional Wiimotes and Nunchucks, and that these are optional on the PS3 and XBox 360. The way I see it is that you're probably going to want an aditional controller to go with your system and if you're a social gamer you will probably want 3 (or more if your system handles it) ... So for most people you will want: Wii + Wii Play and Nunchuck = $320 XBox 360 + Controller + Game = (approximately) $500 PS3 + Controller + Game = (aproximately) $600/$700 If you're a social gamer you will want Wii + Wii Play +2 Wiimotes+ 3 Nunchuck = $440 XBox 360 + 3 Controllers + Game = (approximately) $600 PS3 + 3 Controllers + Game = (aproximately) $700/$800 *You can add an aditional $50 to Wii totals if you dislike Wii Sports and Wii Play being considered a reasonable gaming option Edit: It should be noted that you can have a Wii system, 4 Controllers and 3 Games (Wii Sports, Wii Play and another game) for less than the cost of a PS3

fooflexible said: Kwaad said: For a optimal Wii setup, your looking at around 400-500$ for a wii setup... without a game. The Wii is really very expensive. I think the 360 is cheaper... (if you dont count the online) If you count the online... the PS3 is slighly more expensive than the Wii, but has alot coming. Sorry to double post I just wanted to respond to this. Kwaad what are you talking about? What 400-500$ Wii setup are you refering to? The Wii comes with wires, controller, even wireless interenet connection, AND a game for $250. What are you spending an extra 250 extra dollars on? The 360 is another $50 for the core system without a game OR wireless internet. The PS3 is 250 dollars more for a system without a game OR wireless internet. Lets not forget Wii games are 10 bucks cheaper, too. We all know you love the ps3 but if your going to come out with absurd comments like this at least do us the pleasure of a cost break down. As for the ps3 being SLIGHTLY more expensive then the Wii, if your were getting the 60gb model of the ps3 you could get 2 Wiis and 2 extra games for the same price.
What you dont realize is that Kwaad was kind enough to make a price estimate that includes a jewel-encrusted chalice. http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/09/14

Check out the VGC Crunch this Podcast and Blog at www.tsnetcast.com

That was hilarious, thanks for the link!!

HappySqurriel : your numbers for the Wii are off : absolutely no game requires a nunchuk for every player, not even the Wii boxing. You will, at MOST, need one extra nunchuk. Which makes the price for the "social" gamer more like : Wii + Wii Play +2 Wiimotes + 1 nunchuk = $400.

Around the Network

ookaze said: HappySqurriel : your numbers for the Wii are off : absolutely no game requires a nunchuk for every player, not even the Wii boxing. You will, at MOST, need one extra nunchuk. Which makes the price for the "social" gamer more like : Wii + Wii Play +2 Wiimotes + 1 nunchuk = $400.
Red Steel ... I'm not saying it is common, but if you're a social gamer (and you play a lot of 4 player games) there will be enough games that require all controllers to have nunchucks that it is probably worth your money to buy the extra 2

HappySqurriel said: [ Kwaad argues (foolishly IMO) that the Wii purchase requires 3 additional Wiimotes and Nunchucks, and that these are optional on the PS3 and XBox 360. The way I see it is that you're probably going to want an aditional controller to go with your system and if you're a social gamer you will probably want 3 (or more if your system handles it) ... So for most people you will want: Wii + Wii Play and Nunchuck = $320 XBox 360 + Controller + Game = (approximately) $500 PS3 + Controller + Game = (aproximately) $600/$700 If you're a social gamer you will want Wii + Wii Play +2 Wiimotes+ 3 Nunchuck = $440 XBox 360 + 3 Controllers + Game = (approximately) $600 PS3 + 3 Controllers + Game = (aproximately) $700/$800 *You can add an aditional $50 to Wii totals if you dislike Wii Sports and Wii Play being considered a reasonable gaming option Edit: It should be noted that you can have a Wii system, 4 Controllers and 3 Games (Wii Sports, Wii Play and another game) for less than the cost of a PS3
I am going to be to the point here. The PS line is known for being a very strong single player console. The 360 claims to fame is its online capability. The Wii is touted as the family fun system, meaning the whole family gets involved. Lets be truthful here. Most that buy the 360 are like minded they will purchase online and prefer that a game has an awesome online portion. The average Wii person would like to game in groups. Either with thier friends or with family. Wii sports, raving rabbits, wario smooth moves, and smash bro's are all more likely to be purchased for group play and enjoyment. The PS3 and its previous line multiplayer is normally limited to one other controller. Whether it is playing a sports game, shooter or fighter. The PS line also lends itself heavier to single player games. More games where story is in the front seat sitting on gameplay's lap. Many of these extra purchases may not be "required" but let us all be honest here and point out what is "likely". Take for instance I bought a 360. I am not a big online player but gold is needed to play with me friends. I am not the type that likes to go ladder climbing or stomping a DM with a bunch of people I do not know. There is nothing wrong with that but my time is limited. So there lies my issue. I feel i was required to get gold just to play with my friends.

Games make me happy! PSN ID: Staticneuron Gamertag: Staticneuron Wii Code: Static Wii - 3055 0871 5802 1723

I think novelty applies more to casual gamers. They are the ones that could get tired of the wiimote, since gaming isn't what they previously were doing. And if they get tired, they'll exit the market all together. So for PS3 and X360 advocates, the novelty wearing off will not improve sales of the PS3 or X360 as dramatically as reducing sales of the Wii. As a whole the industry suffers, and that can't be a good thing for anybody, in particular gamers, because of reduced sales. So we had better hope that the novelty doesn't wear off, at least not too quickly until it has became a consumer staple. For gamers, the novelty will undoubtedly wear off. However, the wiimote and nunchuk are more than mere novelties, they are themselves perfectly capable replacements for a more traditional controller. For gameplay it's only because people are not used to the new setup that they have so much to complain about, but I think they'll come around to accepting them. The "traditional" controller pad has been around for over 15, 20 years... you can't reasonably think that controllers will stay in that form forever. The Wii controllers might not be the most optimal set, and currently there might be precision issues, but you can count on improvements down the road now that the concept has been proven viable, if not a downright smash hit. I'd say it's alsmot a sure bet that both Microsoft and Sony will themselves come up with sophisticated motion sensitive controllers. They have too many smart people not to start thinking in that direction. It's hard to say if motion sensitivity will suit all games--even Nintendo doesn't think they suit sophisticated fighting games (Brawl). However, even for this current generation of motion sensitive controllers, which are far from being perfect, I would say that more games will gravitate towards them the opposite. Even for Brawl, I'd be interested to see what motion sensitive controller scheme they come up with.

the Wii is an epidemic.

Wow I really agree with you. My thing is I would have never have called it a novelty until I played a wide selection of games and realized that the controls do not lend themselves well to many types of games. I am not sure if this a dev issue or what but I do not see me playing my favorite games using that controller.

Games make me happy! PSN ID: Staticneuron Gamertag: Staticneuron Wii Code: Static Wii - 3055 0871 5802 1723

staticneuron said: Wow I really agree with you. My thing is I would have never have called it a novelty until I played a wide selection of games and realized that the controls do not lend themselves well to many types of games. I am not sure if this a dev issue or what but I do not see me playing my favorite games using that controller.
I agree so that so much. It's gonna take a new type of game to play on the Wii. Second. Wii + Wii Play +2 Wiimotes+ 3 Nunchuck = $440 XBox 360 + 3 Controllers + Game = (approximately) $600 PS3 + 3 Controllers + Game = (aproximately) $700/$800 Wii = 250$ Wii Play = 50$ Wiimote x2 = 80$ Nunchuck x3 = 60$ I dont know if anyone else noticed this, but my wii eats batteries. And I dont consider them cheap. I went though 6 batteries in less than a week. (playing 1 player) If I played alot with my friends. I would be paying close to 10-20$/week in batteries. Add 6 years of that... 52*10*6= 3120$ So that makes the Wii cost almost 3,600$. How can you compare that to a PS3? I could buy 5 PS3's and 3 controllers for each... EDIT: I doubt you would pay that much in batteries... but batteries are not cheap, and the Wiimotes eat them.

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!