By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - the novelty of wii

I have to admitt that Wii sales have caught me by surprise. I still believe that Nintendo is essentially selling a console with a toy as a controller and the novelty will wear off. I would say maybe Christmas '08 will be the swan song of the Wii. What does everyone else think? Will this new control type hold up for the entire generation or will people get tired of it? I can say that I am genuinly undecided as to which console I will personally buy (I currently have none) as Nintendo is my favorite publisher, but I don't know if I want to try something new. It really will come down to what games get the best online reviews. This is kinda a shab way of going about things because sites like IGN (editors toward the channel they happen to run) and gamespot (toward PC like titles) are clearly biased. And to appear non-biased myself, PS3 is way too expensive and 360 cannot sell well outside the U.S. OK now discuss.

Lifetime Sales Prediction - 6/29/2013
Wii U - 38 million
XBOX One - 88 million
Playstation 4 - 145 million

Around the Network

I would recommend you to find a Wii, and see if you can play Wiisports for a few hours. After you play that, play a hour or two of one of their raceing games, and then try a FPS. I think the controllers are very novelty. They suck batteries too. The Wii is most fun with parties/many people. For a optimal Wii setup, your looking at around 400-500$ for a wii setup... without a game. The Wii is really very expensive. I think the 360 is cheaper... (if you dont count the online) If you count the online... the PS3 is slighly more expensive than the Wii, but has alot coming. http://ps3.ign.com/index/release.html http://wii.ign.com/index/release.html

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

If expect the Wii to continue to selling good well into November 2008 and then suddenly die on December 2008, you mihgt be in for quite a surprise. And a few bitter tears. The console war will be decide by year end of 2007.

ranzchic said: If expect the Wii to continue to selling good well into November 2008 and then suddenly die on December 2008, you mihgt be in for quite a surprise. And a few bitter tears. The console war will be decide by year end of 2007.
No, I think it will be decided at the end of 2008. (all 3 consoles will have decent sales to holiday, and then one will stand out) I dont think there will be a winner this year. The Wii is going to shoot ahead, but I have a feeling sony isnt gonna give up that easily... neither is microsoft. I expect a worldwide sales lineup like 15million 360 15million Wii 10million PS3 for the end of 2007 For the end of 2008 I can see 20million 360 27million Wii 25million PS3 The Winner still wont be distinctive. But the 360 will be pushed down. 2009 can go either way. Wii or PS3.

With all the sales the Wii is getting...there will be good games coming out later this year and next year. I think it's a little early to be judging things.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Around the Network

BenKenobi88 said: With all the sales the Wii is getting...there will be good games coming out later this year and next year. I think it's a little early to be judging things.
Ummm... dude... I'm saying the Wii will sell 13million consoles in 1 year... That is almost as much as the PS2 did in it's best year...

I know, I was talking more to the OP. I think it will feel less like a novelty when better original games start coming out.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

catofellow said: I have to admitt that Wii sales have caught me by surprise. I still believe that Nintendo is essentially selling a console with a toy as a controller and the novelty will wear off. I would say maybe Christmas '08 will be the swan song of the Wii. What does everyone else think? Will this new control type hold up for the entire generation or will people get tired of it?
I think it's all about the software. If they and other companies can come up with compelling software consistently over a period of years, there's no reason why the "novelty" should wear off. After all, good games are eternal no matter what the control input. In fact, I would argue that the different control input affords a greater chance at making something new compelling. And after all, they were successful much the same way with the DS and its new input devices. OTOH, if all they can come up with are collections of minigames that rehash the same thing again and again, Wii sales will quickly evaporate since nobody is buying the machine for its power.

In Memoriam RVW Jr.

SSBB Friend Code = 5455-9050-8670 (PM me if you add so I can add you!) 

Tetris Party Friend Code = 116129046416 (ditto)

BenKenobi88 - If you changed your signature picture tonight... I liked the old one. The lens flare effects are WAAAAY too much.

All i do on my wii is go to everybody votes channel. I think the wii is riding on hype and that might die down soon.

Games make me happy! PSN ID: Staticneuron Gamertag: Staticneuron Wii Code: Static Wii - 3055 0871 5802 1723