By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - the novelty of wii

Even if it wears off for some people, wouldn't new people still be buying it if they haven't had it? I think the motion sensing is probably over-rated outside of a few niche genres (sports, party games) and uses (like tilting the nunchuk for camera control) but I really like the potential of the pointer, and being able to keep my hands apart while I play. That and for the price I probably would've bought it with a normal controller, though maybe not right at launch. Though I'm not intimidated by normal controllers as much as annoyed by them sometimes--some PS2 games took me forever to remember which buttons did what, I seemed to have trouble especially in FPS's, I dunno.

Around the Network

baka said: Incidentally, the batteries in your controller will probably cost between $15-$30 when they go bad if the typical Li-Po (or is it Li-Ion?) cell costs stay the same. It should be something like an iPod battery, can you open the controller to change it? If not, you might need to send it in to Sony for servicing, or have it serviced by a "third party"...
There are like 5 phillips screws. No idea how the battery is in there... I'll post a link to a PS3 controller dissection.

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

First off you can buy rechargable batteries with a little charger, relatively cheap. Second, I don't know anyone who has bought four wiimotes for their system, sure they are out there, but most people don't, Warioware and Rayman were mentioned, two games that don't even have multiplayer with more then one controller, I've only played hotseat multiplayer in these games and in Wario there are games where one person holds the wiimote while the other holds the nunchuk. For Dragon Ball Z and future fighting games I've been using my old gamecube controllers for multiplyaer, so there is definitly other options, cheaper options. Don'[t pretend you need four wiimotes and nunchucks to enjoy the system(most people will never own that, and the ones that do play 4 player will most likely do it with someone else that owns the system that can bring a controller over) And just because the Wii is known for being family friendly as far as I'm concerned Nintendo has always been about the single player experience, Zelda, Mario, Metroid, sure you have your Mariokarts, and such but so far thats not even coming to the Wii.

You missed the 1 Wii game I *know* you have that supports 4 wii-motes. I'm not gonna say what it is.

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

That's true. I only own 3 controllers and two nunchuks though, and the third controller is because of Wii Play. We have friends (another couple) who also have a Wii, they bring controllers/nunchuks over so we can do 4-player. Wii Sports Tennis is simply amazing with four players, and very funny to watch when the players are drunk. No serious injuries so far either. We'll actually be bringing our controllers and games to their place tomorrow night.

Around the Network

staticneuron said: Wow I really agree with you. My thing is I would have never have called it a novelty until I played a wide selection of games and realized that the controls do not lend themselves well to many types of games. I am not sure if this a dev issue or what but I do not see me playing my favorite games using that controller.
Lol. The point of the Wiimote is to create new genres and new type of games. You have a classic controller for old type games and it is increasingly clear that everyone will have to buy one. As the Wii continues to surge ahead, so will the software support. I say enjoy the current crops of PS3 and 360 games now. I don't think they'll be as prolific a year or two from now because the majority would be focused on developing for the Wii, especially if it manges to transcend beyond the PS2.

Kwaad said: ranzchic said: If expect the Wii to continue to selling good well into November 2008 and then suddenly die on December 2008, you mihgt be in for quite a surprise. And a few bitter tears. The console war will be decide by year end of 2007. No, I think it will be decided at the end of 2008. (all 3 consoles will have decent sales to holiday, and then one will stand out) I dont think there will be a winner this year. The Wii is going to shoot ahead, but I have a feeling sony isnt gonna give up that easily... neither is microsoft. I expect a worldwide sales lineup like 15million 360 15million Wii 10million PS3 for the end of 2007 For the end of 2008 I can see 20million 360 27million Wii 25million PS3 The Winner still wont be distinctive. But the 360 will be pushed down. 2009 can go either way. Wii or PS3.
Sorry Kwaad but the PS3 won't take the 360 down or even come within a stones throw of the Wii, it just costs to much.. By the end of 2007 17 to 18 million 360 15 to 16 million Wii 6 to 10 million PS3 For the end of 2008 I can see 25 to 30 million 360 22 to 26 million Wii 12 to 15 million PS3 The 360 is up for a HUGE year this year, with Halo 3, Fable 2, GTA4 and RE5 all likely to come out this year that is huge for 360, the PS3 will get trumped due to the price and the 360 will pass 10 million USA sale by december. The PS3 is getting pounded in america and unless the price drops it will continue to.

Kwaad said: You missed the 1 Wii game I *know* you have that supports 4 wii-motes.
I'm gonna guess....Wii sports! The problem here is the Bowling is hot seat style you can play with one controller, so is golf. Boxing and baseball can only be played by 2 people. So the only four player game is really the tennis but honestly I haven't even tried this. It's less about controllers and more about physical space i don't think 4 people can stand in front of the tv with enough swinging space. Heck my friends and I have hit each other with the the wii-mote with only 2 player, I thnk 4 player we'd be a complete brawl. I have 2 wii-motes and I have two friends with Wiis so I can do it with them over, but I personally like 2 player better and loser gives up next turn kind of thing.

Death2009 said: Sorry Kwaad but the PS3 won't take the 360 down or even come within a stones throw of the Wii, it just costs to much.. By the end of 2007 17 to 18 million 360 15 to 16 million Wii 6 to 10 million PS3 For the end of 2008 I can see 25 to 30 million 360 22 to 26 million Wii 12 to 15 million PS3 The 360 is up for a HUGE year this year, with Halo 3, Fable 2, GTA4 and RE5 all likely to come out this year that is huge for 360, the PS3 will get trumped due to the price and the 360 will pass 10 million USA sale by december. The PS3 is getting pounded in america and unless the price drops it will continue to.
If you expect the Wii to have amazing sales this year, and just die off next year, then your figures are wrong. It's possible the hype for the Wii will decline, I don't think it will, but even if it did, it's not going to turn into a console that sells less than 800K a month world wide, when according to this site they sell about 1.2-1.5m a month ww, though with current production rates that will decrease since they stockpiled.

the controller isn't an issue. the main controller has the two main action buttons plus the d-pad all within easy reach plus there's an analog stick and two more buttons on the nunchuck, again all within easy reach. hell, you can play a zelda game with that setup. unless you're a clumsy fool this isn't a problem. now, here's what is an issue, no games! after wii sports and zelda there's nothing, and once you get through both those games what is there? nothing! look at egm, all the new games are coming out for the 360, the ps3, or both. wtf? yeah the wii's selling good now, but how long are people going to put up with no good games? and don't give me that mario galaxy crap either, we all know that's going to be a 30 hour oasis in a desert!