By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - the novelty of wii

Gephardt69 said: the controller isn't an issue. the main controller has the two main action buttons plus the d-pad all within easy reach plus there's an analog stick and two more buttons on the nunchuck, again all within easy reach. hell, you can play a zelda game with that setup. unless you're a clumsy fool this isn't a problem. now, here's what is an issue, no games! after wii sports and zelda there's nothing, and once you get through both those games what is there? nothing! look at egm, all the new games are coming out for the 360, the ps3, or both. wtf? yeah the wii's selling good now, but how long are people going to put up with no good games? and don't give me that mario galaxy crap either, we all know that's going to be a 30 hour oasis in a desert!
Eh, SSX Blur and Sonic just came out. Super Paper Mario, an actual system seller, is out within a month. And, wow, you just dissed Mario Galaxy. I'll leave it at that.

Around the Network

SSX Blur and Sonic are pretty good, and there are enough games coming out to hold my interest. I think developers didn't expect it to do so well...so there's not many games right now. There will be more later.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Wii's biggest drought might have been from Xmas through the middle/end of Febuary. All there was was WarioWare and later Wii Play. But then there's Sonic, SSX, MoH, Tiger Woods, Super Paper Mario, Cooking Mama, Mario Party 8, Dragon Quest Swords, Heatseeker, Bust-a-Move, and a bunch of delayed ports like Prince of Persia, Mortal Kombat, Godfather, etc., to take us through Q2. Thing is, Wii basically set sales records through the drought period, based on Zelda, Wii Sports, Rayman and later WarioWare. With a more regular schedule of games returning, and then a ton of "second half of 2007" announcements every week due to the big launch, Wii may avoid another game drought. And there's still a question of how long it can sell on Wii Sports alone. Nintendogs just sold more in January 2007 then it sold in any of the first 10 months of 2006--and in fact more than it sold in its launch month of August 2005. And Wii Sports may have that same impossibly good, never-ending draw.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

I don't think there's even a drought as far as the casual and mainstream Wii users are concerned. They have all these third party stuff and some Nintendo offerings. And then there's Wii Sports.

Kwaad said: staticneuron said: Wow I really agree with you. My thing is I would have never have called it a novelty until I played a wide selection of games and realized that the controls do not lend themselves well to many types of games. I am not sure if this a dev issue or what but I do not see me playing my favorite games using that controller. I agree so that so much. It's gonna take a new type of game to play on the Wii. Second. Wii + Wii Play +2 Wiimotes+ 3 Nunchuck = $440 XBox 360 + 3 Controllers + Game = (approximately) $600 PS3 + 3 Controllers + Game = (aproximately) $700/$800 Wii = 250$ Wii Play = 50$ Wiimote x2 = 80$ Nunchuck x3 = 60$ I dont know if anyone else noticed this, but my wii eats batteries. And I dont consider them cheap. I went though 6 batteries in less than a week. (playing 1 player) If I played alot with my friends. I would be paying close to 10-20$/week in batteries. Add 6 years of that... 52*10*6= 3120$ So that makes the Wii cost almost 3,600$. How can you compare that to a PS3? I could buy 5 PS3's and 3 controllers for each... EDIT: I doubt you would pay that much in batteries... but batteries are not cheap, and the Wiimotes eat them.
I just do not believe you Kwaad. I will repeat - I used the same batteries for a little over two months. I think you are just trying to take an opportunity to bash the Wii by trying to point out a supposed flaw. Are there any other non Sony fanboys out there who are having trouble with battery life. I even only had one Wii mote until Wii Play came out, so there were two plus people using the same control for 2 months. I am starting to think you do not even have a Wii - you just claim to so you can take jabs at it in every thread it comes up in.

Around the Network

Blip said: I just do not believe you Kwaad. I will repeat - I used the same batteries for a little over two months. I think you are just trying to take an opportunity to bash the Wii by trying to point out a supposed flaw. Are there any other non Sony fanboys out there who are having trouble with battery life. I even only had one Wii mote until Wii Play came out, so there were two plus people using the same control for 2 months. I am starting to think you do not even have a Wii - you just claim to so you can take jabs at it in every thread it comes up in.
Wow. I wonder what technolgy the Wiimotes YOU used have. Everyone. Say your battery life. There is no way 2 people playing on a Wii, the batteries would last 2 months. Hell, I havent put more than 20 hours on my Wii since December, and I had to change the batteries once. ROFL.

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Kwaad said: Blip said: I just do not believe you Kwaad. I will repeat - I used the same batteries for a little over two months. I think you are just trying to take an opportunity to bash the Wii by trying to point out a supposed flaw. Are there any other non Sony fanboys out there who are having trouble with battery life. I even only had one Wii mote until Wii Play came out, so there were two plus people using the same control for 2 months. I am starting to think you do not even have a Wii - you just claim to so you can take jabs at it in every thread it comes up in. Wow. I wonder what technolgy the Wiimotes YOU used have. Everyone. Say your battery life. There is no way 2 people playing on a Wii, the batteries would last 2 months. Hell, I havent put more than 20 hours on my Wii since December, and I had to change the batteries once. ROFL.
Perhaps you are changing them too often. Just because they say they are low does not mean they have to be changed right away. I used mine until they did not work anymore. I assure you, they were the Maxell's that came in the box.

Your useing recharables. That's why. You didnt say that. You said. "I've been using the same battieres for 2 months." That's I've been "Recharging" the same battieres. :p How much life do you get out of a charge? EDIT: n/m I just re-read what you said. I dont know how you got that kinda battery life.

No - I have never recharged them. This might be a stupid question, but are the batteries that are provided with your Wii-mote rechargeable? I am not much of an instruction reader - just jump right in and use things, so I did not notice. Good thing I have not thrown them away if so. Again, I have never recharged the batteries. They just worked completely fine from Xmas until either Wed or Thurs of this past week. I did notice when I was trying to figure out how to calibrate my Wiimote from Wii Play that they were running low from the indicator you can go to, but they lasted since whatever the first week Wii Play came out.

Blip said: No - I have never recharged them. This might be a stupid question, but are the batteries that are provided with your Wii-mote rechargeable? I am not much of an instruction reader - just jump right in and use things, so I did not notice. Good thing I have not thrown them away if so. Again, I have never recharged the batteries. They just worked completely fine from Xmas until either Wed or Thurs of this past week. I did notice when I was trying to figure out how to calibrate my Wiimote from Wii Play that they were running low from the indicator you can go to, but they lasted since whatever the first week Wii Play came out.
No, their not rechargable. do NOT recharge them. (you can, but they can blow up, and have a good chance of leaking everywhere)