By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - the novelty of wii

Kwaad said:I dont know if anyone else noticed this, but my wii eats batteries. And I dont consider them cheap. I went though 6 batteries in less than a week. (playing 1 player)
I don't have the same problem with batteries, but I use NiMH batteries in everything that takes AA cells. Two digital cameras, bike headlights, and a few other devices. It makes more sense over time monetarily, and you don't end up throwing so many cells into the garbage. It's good for the environment and your wallet. That being said, I've used Duracells a few times when all the NiMH cells were charging, but they seem to last around two weeks before I swap NiMHs back in. I do work during the day though, so depending on how much you play YMMV.
ookaze said:If I were you, I wouldn't fear the Wii novelty too much. Most people that say that actually want the Wii to die, because they were surprised by its success, like everyone else, and it threatens their console of choice.
That's probably close enough to the truth. I'm enjoying the console, and everyone who tries it (yes, so far it's been everyone in my experience) enjoys it as well. The most negative case was actually an SCEA employee who stopped by this past Thanksgiving; this being the SF Bay area, there are people from a number of companies gaming and otherwise in the area. He picked apart the simple graphics, and the lack of limbs on the Mii characters in Wii Play seemed to distract him, but after he used the controller even he enjoyed the gameplay. For me, that's really what gaming's about.

Around the Network

just spend 30 bucks on the wii charge station.

Currently loving my Wii x2, Xbox 360 Pro & Xbox 360 Arcade, and Final Fantasy 7 Advent Children Limited "Cloud Black" 160GB PS3

GAMEFLY & GOOZEX FTW

Delusional said: just spend 30 bucks on the wii charge station.
My point is, it eats batteries. :P My PS3 controller dont even have removeable batteries. (I wonder what's gonna happen in 2 years when it dont hold a charge?) I dont use enough batteries to warrant rechargeable batteries. But if I was playing the Wii like I do the PS3. I sure would need them.

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Lingyis said: I think novelty applies more to casual gamers. They are the ones that could get tired of the wiimote, since gaming isn't what they previously were doing. And if they get tired, they'll exit the market all together. So for PS3 and X360 advocates, the novelty wearing off will not improve sales of the PS3 or X360 as dramatically as reducing sales of the Wii. As a whole the industry suffers, and that can't be a good thing for anybody, in particular gamers, because of reduced sales. So we had better hope that the novelty doesn't wear off, at least not too quickly until it has became a consumer staple. For gamers, the novelty will undoubtedly wear off. However, the wiimote and nunchuk are more than mere novelties, they are themselves perfectly capable replacements for a more traditional controller. For gameplay it's only because people are not used to the new setup that they have so much to complain about, but I think they'll come around to accepting them. The "traditional" controller pad has been around for over 15, 20 years... you can't reasonably think that controllers will stay in that form forever. The Wii controllers might not be the most optimal set, and currently there might be precision issues, but you can count on improvements down the road now that the concept has been proven viable, if not a downright smash hit. I'd say it's alsmot a sure bet that both Microsoft and Sony will themselves come up with sophisticated motion sensitive controllers. They have too many smart people not to start thinking in that direction. It's hard to say if motion sensitivity will suit all games--even Nintendo doesn't think they suit sophisticated fighting games (Brawl). However, even for this current generation of motion sensitive controllers, which are far from being perfect, I would say that more games will gravitate towards them the opposite. Even for Brawl, I'd be interested to see what motion sensitive controller scheme they come up with.
I consider myself to be a hardcore gamer. The "novelty" has yet to wear off, not saying that it never will, it might just take a while. The novelty of FPSs and fighters for me has worn off (cuz I just whoop everyone's ass, it's too easy it's not even fun anymore :P), so I am guessing that this will too. I don't know why everyone is thinking it's going to happen in a matter of months. Things change, popular genres get old eventually. I'm sure Guitar Hero is not going to last forever.

Wii Code 8761-5941-4718-0078 

I know a lot of people who like Guitar Hero, many of these people actually play the guitar. I have a copy myself and enjoy it every now and then. DDR has also stood the test of time, I happen to own 5 DDR titles over four consoles (Dreamcast import, PS1, PS2, and Gamecube even.) It may depend on the type of gamer, but a good game is still a good game. BTW, rechargeable batteries are definitely a necessity if you play a lot on the Wii. I purchased a 12 pack of some off-brand NiMH cells at Fry's Electronics for about $20, it's lasted for quite a while. As a bonus, the NiMH cells seem to last longer per charge than the Alkaline cells in my experience.

Around the Network

Well I'm just saying. You've got to factor in battery costs with the Wii. One thing that costs more. :p

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

baka said: BTW, rechargeable batteries are definitely a necessity if you play a lot on the Wii. I purchased a 12 pack of some off-brand NiMH cells at Fry's Electronics for about $20, it's lasted for quite a while. As a bonus, the NiMH cells seem to last longer per charge than the Alkaline cells in my experience.
nice. which brand u get? i wanna get some too but i wanna get a good deal :)

Currently loving my Wii x2, Xbox 360 Pro & Xbox 360 Arcade, and Final Fantasy 7 Advent Children Limited "Cloud Black" 160GB PS3

GAMEFLY & GOOZEX FTW

Kwaad said: Well I'm just saying. You've got to factor in battery costs with the Wii. One thing that costs more. :p
Understandable, and you do have a half of the discussion to hold up. I can respect that. Incidentally, the batteries in your controller will probably cost between $15-$30 when they go bad if the typical Li-Po (or is it Li-Ion?) cell costs stay the same. It should be something like an iPod battery, can you open the controller to change it? If not, you might need to send it in to Sony for servicing, or have it serviced by a "third party"...

Delusional said: nice. which brand u get? i wanna get some too but i wanna get a good deal :)
Not sure, it just says "X1" on the battery cell. They were very cheap, and sold in a bundle in the checkout "gauntlet"...

[quote]ookaze said: If I were you, I wouldn't fear the Wii novelty too much. Most people that say that actually want the Wii to die, because they were surprised by its success, like everyone else, and it threatens their console of choice. thats not true i dont even have a wii but i want it to succeed.. i just think its different from the norm and thats why its succeeding that doesnt mean i want it to die

THe oNLY TRue STuPiDiTY iS THe aCCePTaNCe oF iGNoRaNCe 

PSNTAG K_I_N_G__COKE

The King Of The Iron Fist tournament