By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - No Other Console Game this Gen Will match Crysis Graphics(56k)!

Final-Fan said:
olibou21 said:
@Happy, FinalFan and others

I don't understand how you are supposed to have graphics on par with High level settings on Crysis with a GC ala 7800 GS / GT which is both RAM (256 Mo + 256 Mo with high latency) and bandwith (128 bits bus) limited ?

If you speak about art direction, i too expect wonders in the coming years from the HD console, but technically Crysis won't be acheived this gen ...

On a final note, are you sure you have looked at Crysis with decent set up ? (honest question)

Because several people compare Uncharted to Crysis in this very topic.

In all honesty, Uncharted look like a Wii game compared to Crysis on my setup ...

Put it this way:  What game(s) had absolutely the best graphics on the PC from 2001-2002? 

Were there any games on the PS2/GC/Xbox, EVER, that matched or overmatched those graphics? 

That's an equivalent comparison. 

No, I have a setup with a 7900GT factory overclocked, but I don't have Crysis.  I figured I didn't want to buy it, didn't want to bother pirating it, and didn't think it would run that well on my system anyway.  But I do pay attention, I've seen the videos and pictures, I'm not wearing fanboy blinkers, etc. 

"That's an equivalent comparison.  "

Point acknowledged. I guess you have no technical skills about how a 3D scene is rendered with today's tools, haven't you ? (honest question). IMO, there is something wrong in your reasoning (ala comparison between 2002 PS sales to 2008 PS3 sales). But i cannot put words on it ..... ! ;///

Just a thing, Crysis as of today, can be played with max settings + max effects (1920*1080 + 4* AA + 8 AF) on NO single GC (even  a 280 GTX).

On 2001-2002, you could  find no game like Crysis, playable with full effects on no GC.

So, a more fairer comparison (IMO) would be Best Console game Xbox / GC / PS2 era to best PC game from 2004 (or 2005)...

 "I've seen the videos and pictures"

As already mentionned, videos and screenshots don't give justice to this game. With your rig, you should give it a try (don't forget to use some tweaks and TODs).



Around the Network
Sqrl said:

If you're going to post crysis pics at least post good ones:

Link

Link2

Link3

Link4

Link5

 

How many console games can you do this in (ie face-to-wall and still see crisp textures)?

Its not just the overall scenic details in Crysis (which Consoles do decently well at), its the attention to detail as seen above and in the following:

Details1

Details2

Details3

Details4

 

I've played damn near every game mentioned in this thread the way it was meant to be played (ie maxed settings on large high quality HD displays with 5.1 sound) and while some of them rival crysis in a particular area none of them ever really hit that quality mark for any sustained period.

As was mentioned already, high resolution textures require lots of memory capacity and memory bandwidth and the consoles are sorely sorely lacking in this department.

hey I think my screens where pretty good, I show details aswell as the whole enviroment.

 



haxxiy said:
vlad321 said:
arsenicazure said:
actually you can get a quality HDTV for around under $500..still cheaper than the 8k :)

PC gamer that still uses SDTV.. tsk tsk

 

Yeah and you can make a PC for about as cheap that will run Crysis better than what it cost you to buy your HDTV and your console.

 

I don't watch TVs and I don't give a shit about graphics so why would I blow money on something so useless?

 

Yet another PC myth.

PS3 = 399 bucks

---

Intel DX58SO Motherboard = $240

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 = $150

Sapphire Radeon HD 4850 = $150

Corsair XMS2 Xtreme Performance 4GB PC2-6400 DDR2 DIMM = $50

Cooler Master HAF 932 Black Full Tower = $150

Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB Hard Drive = $100

Antec P/S 500W ATX12V 2.01 PS/2 SIZE DUAL 12V OUTPUTS = $50

Logitech Cordless Desktop EX 100 Keyboard Mouse Combo = $30

LG Electronics GGW-H20L Black Dual Layer BD-RE Writer/HD DVD-ROM = $230

 = 1150 bucks

 

Whoa now I fully outperform a PS3 for just nearly thrice the price, awesome!

First your processor and memory do not fit in the motherboard you chose (it takes core i7 processors and DDR3 memory, you chose Core 2 Duo and DDR2 memory), second you just chose whatever expensive parts you could find and slapped them together then declared it more expensive but conveniently forgot  that:

1. He said PS3+HDTV

2. it only has to run Crysis better than a PS3 would, so running it at 1280x720 is enough as most PS3 games run at a lower resolution than that (fake HD).

Also you slapped in a Blu-Ray writer (which the PS3 hasn't got, only a player) when we are talking about games graphical quality, not attending media functions here.



"I do not suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it"

 

haxxiy said:
vlad321 said:
arsenicazure said:
actually you can get a quality HDTV for around under $500..still cheaper than the 8k :)

PC gamer that still uses SDTV.. tsk tsk

 

Yeah and you can make a PC for about as cheap that will run Crysis better than what it cost you to buy your HDTV and your console.

 

I don't watch TVs and I don't give a shit about graphics so why would I blow money on something so useless?

 

Yet another PC myth.

PS3 = 399 bucks

---

Intel DX58SO Motherboard = $240

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 = $150

Sapphire Radeon HD 4850 = $150

Corsair XMS2 Xtreme Performance 4GB PC2-6400 DDR2 DIMM = $50

Cooler Master HAF 932 Black Full Tower = $150

Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB Hard Drive = $100

Antec P/S 500W ATX12V 2.01 PS/2 SIZE DUAL 12V OUTPUTS = $50

Logitech Cordless Desktop EX 100 Keyboard Mouse Combo = $30

LG Electronics GGW-H20L Black Dual Layer BD-RE Writer/HD DVD-ROM = $230

 = 1150 bucks

 

Whoa now I fully outperform a PS3 for just nearly thrice the price, awesome!

 

 

 

Others above me already pointed out the fallacies with your calculations/argument, so I'm not gonna even bother.

@Sqrl

That's one of the biggest parts, Crysis doesn't just look when you look at a broad scene, it also looks damn good when you are 2 inches away from the wall.



Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

 

Why are you guys still discussing this? The thread isn't about prices, it's about graphics and PC proves to be the leader.

So, despite a PC being expensive to run Crysis, it doesn't take from the fact it runs better graphics than a PS3.

/end



Around the Network
olibou21 said:
Final-Fan said:
olibou21 said:
@Happy, FinalFan and others

I don't understand how you are supposed to have graphics on par with High level settings on Crysis with a GC ala 7800 GS / GT which is both RAM (256 Mo + 256 Mo with high latency) and bandwith (128 bits bus) limited ?

If you speak about art direction, i too expect wonders in the coming years from the HD console, but technically Crysis won't be acheived this gen ...

On a final note, are you sure you have looked at Crysis with decent set up ? (honest question)

Because several people compare Uncharted to Crysis in this very topic.

In all honesty, Uncharted look like a Wii game compared to Crysis on my setup ...
Put it this way:  What game(s) had absolutely the best graphics on the PC from 2001-2002?

Were there any games on the PS2/GC/Xbox, EVER, that matched or overmatched those graphics?

That's an equivalent comparison. 

No, I have a setup with a 7900GT factory overclocked, but I don't have Crysis.  I figured I didn't want to buy it, didn't want to bother pirating it, and didn't think it would run that well on my system anyway.  But I do pay attention, I've seen the videos and pictures, I'm not wearing fanboy blinkers, etc.
"That's an equivalent comparison."

Point acknowledged. I guess you have no technical skills about how a 3D scene is rendered with today's tools, haven't you? (1) (honest question). IMO, there is something wrong in your reasoning (ala comparison between 2002 PS sales to 2008 PS3 sales). But i cannot put words on it ..... ! ;/// (2)

Just a thing, Crysis as of today, can be played with max settings + max effects (1920*1080 + 4* AA + 8 AF) on NO single GC (even a 280 GTX).

On 2001-2002, you could  find no game like Crysis, playable with full effects on no GC. (3)

So, a more fairer comparison (IMO) would be Best Console game Xbox / GC / PS2 era to best PC game from 2004 (or 2005)... (4)

"I've seen the videos and pictures"

As already mentionned, videos and screenshots don't give justice to this game. With your rig, you should give it a try (don't forget to use some tweaks and TODs).(5)

(1) No, you're correct, I do not have such skills. 

(2) Who said anything about sales?  This appears to me to be a complete non sequitur.  Aren't we discussing comparisons of the technical abilities of consoles and PCs from various times?  That has nothing to do with sales except that winning consoles get more developers working harder at exploiting the hardware. 

(3) OK, but I find it odd that you are speaking exclusively of single GC setups.  As I understand it the most advanced gaming setups are now dual card; since these setups are in fact "in the wild" in significantly large numbers they should be counted within PC gaming as it stands today.  (And when Crysis came out, I believe.) 

(4) Are you saying this because you believe that Crysis should be considered like a game that came out 2 or 3 years "in the future", so advance 2 or 3 years from 2002?  Considering the fact that Crysis is only ONE year old at this point, I think it's presumptious of you to say that. 

But yeah, I'm sure it's true that no game in 2002 was as deliberately PC-destroyingly demanding as Crysis was in 2007, so I'll give you 2003 ... since we all know how fast the technology advances.  Call of Duty came out in that year. 

On the other hand, the PS3 is more powerful for its time than the Gamecube or Xbox were for theirs, so that may cancel things out to some extent. 

(5) Fair enough -- this is said of many games, and it's true of many games.  But still, I hope you'll forgive me if I don't rush out and download a 12GB game I hardly care about, and tweak my system for it, just to gawk at the graphics. 



Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Actually FC2 looks pretty sweet as well.. i havent had a chance to play it yet.

 

 

but dang.. crysis does look sweeter :(

 



Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

owner of : atari 2600, commodore 64, NES,gameboy,atari lynx, genesis, saturn,neogeo,DC,PS2,GC,X360, Wii

5 THINGS I'd like to see before i knock out:

a. a AAA 3D sonic title

b. a nintendo developed game that has a "M rating"

c. redesgined PS controller

d. SEGA back in the console business

e. M$ out of the OS business

Final-Fan said:
olibou21 said:
Final-Fan said:
olibou21 said:
@Happy, FinalFan and others

I don't understand how you are supposed to have graphics on par with High level settings on Crysis with a GC ala 7800 GS / GT which is both RAM (256 Mo + 256 Mo with high latency) and bandwith (128 bits bus) limited ?

If you speak about art direction, i too expect wonders in the coming years from the HD console, but technically Crysis won't be acheived this gen ...

On a final note, are you sure you have looked at Crysis with decent set up ? (honest question)

Because several people compare Uncharted to Crysis in this very topic.

In all honesty, Uncharted look like a Wii game compared to Crysis on my setup ...
Put it this way:  What game(s) had absolutely the best graphics on the PC from 2001-2002?

Were there any games on the PS2/GC/Xbox, EVER, that matched or overmatched those graphics?

That's an equivalent comparison. 

No, I have a setup with a 7900GT factory overclocked, but I don't have Crysis.  I figured I didn't want to buy it, didn't want to bother pirating it, and didn't think it would run that well on my system anyway.  But I do pay attention, I've seen the videos and pictures, I'm not wearing fanboy blinkers, etc.
"That's an equivalent comparison."

Point acknowledged. I guess you have no technical skills about how a 3D scene is rendered with today's tools, haven't you? (1) (honest question). IMO, there is something wrong in your reasoning (ala comparison between 2002 PS sales to 2008 PS3 sales). But i cannot put words on it ..... ! ;/// (2)

Just a thing, Crysis as of today, can be played with max settings + max effects (1920*1080 + 4* AA + 8 AF) on NO single GC (even a 280 GTX).

On 2001-2002, you could  find no game like Crysis, playable with full effects on no GC. (3)

So, a more fairer comparison (IMO) would be Best Console game Xbox / GC / PS2 era to best PC game from 2004 (or 2005)... (4)

"I've seen the videos and pictures"

As already mentionned, videos and screenshots don't give justice to this game. With your rig, you should give it a try (don't forget to use some tweaks and TODs).(5)

(1) No, you're correct, I do not have such skills. 

(2) Who said anything about sales?  This appears to me to be a complete non sequitur.  Aren't we discussing comparisons of the technical abilities of consoles and PCs from various times?  That has nothing to do with sales except that winning consoles get more developers working harder at exploiting the hardware. 

(3) OK, but I find it odd that you are speaking exclusively of single GC setups.  As I understand it the most advanced gaming setups are now dual card; since these setups are in fact "in the wild" in significantly large numbers they should be counted within PC gaming as it stands today.  (And when Crysis came out, I believe.) 

(4) Are you saying this because you believe that Crysis should be considered like a game that came out 2 or 3 years "in the future", so advance 2 or 3 years from 2002?  Considering the fact that Crysis is only ONE year old at this point, I think it's presumptious of you to say that. 

But yeah, I'm sure it's true that no game in 2002 was as deliberately PC-destroyingly demanding as Crysis was in 2007, so I'll give you 2003 ... since we all know how fast the technology advances.  Call of Duty came out in that year. 

On the other hand, the PS3 is more powerful for its time than the Gamecube or Xbox were for theirs, so that may cancel things out to some extent. 

(5) Fair enough -- this is said of many games, and it's true of many games.  But still, I hope you'll forgive me if I don't rush out and download a 12GB game I hardly care about, and tweak my system for it, just to gawk at the graphics. 

Ok Final-Fan, i will try to make myself more understandable .... ;)))

1) Ok.

If we remove advanced effects from the discussion (parallax bump mapping, normal mapping and so forth) that are super power hungry from pixels shaders units, current "HD console" game require (we need much more detail on screen due to HD resolution) much more textures and much more high res textures.

Like it or not, putting those on screen require memory space and memory bandwith. There is no practical way of optimising it (except by procedural synthesis but i don't believe we will see this gen).

IMO, by this aspect, Crysis is already out of the bound of what is possible on PS360.

2) I was not building a bridge between those 2.

There is a huge topic on this forum where Crazyman tries to corralate somethings that cannot be because they are not the same (ie, the 2002 PS2 sales to 2008 PS3 sales). Here you do the same, IMO.

3) I speak about single GC setup because PS360 are single GC setups.

4) We are comparing apples to oranges, here. So i will let it go.



Sri Lumpa said:
haxxiy said:
vlad321 said:
arsenicazure said:
actually you can get a quality HDTV for around under $500..still cheaper than the 8k :)

PC gamer that still uses SDTV.. tsk tsk

 

Yeah and you can make a PC for about as cheap that will run Crysis better than what it cost you to buy your HDTV and your console.

 

I don't watch TVs and I don't give a shit about graphics so why would I blow money on something so useless?

 

Yet another PC myth.

PS3 = 399 bucks

---

Intel DX58SO Motherboard = $240

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 = $150

Sapphire Radeon HD 4850 = $150

Corsair XMS2 Xtreme Performance 4GB PC2-6400 DDR2 DIMM = $50

Cooler Master HAF 932 Black Full Tower = $150

Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB Hard Drive = $100

Antec P/S 500W ATX12V 2.01 PS/2 SIZE DUAL 12V OUTPUTS = $50

Logitech Cordless Desktop EX 100 Keyboard Mouse Combo = $30

LG Electronics GGW-H20L Black Dual Layer BD-RE Writer/HD DVD-ROM = $230

 = 1150 bucks

 

Whoa now I fully outperform a PS3 for just nearly thrice the price, awesome!

First your processor and memory do not fit in the motherboard you chose (it takes core i7 processors and DDR3 memory, you chose Core 2 Duo and DDR2 memory), second you just chose whatever expensive parts you could find and slapped them together then declared it more expensive but conveniently forgot  that:

1. He said PS3+HDTV

2. it only has to run Crysis better than a PS3 would, so running it at 1280x720 is enough as most PS3 games run at a lower resolution than that (fake HD).

Also you slapped in a Blu-Ray writer (which the PS3 hasn't got, only a player) when we are talking about games graphical quality, not attending media functions here.

I think is noticeable I haven't add a monitor to PC as well. Plus I got the cheapest I could find, or you would prefer a Logitech G15 keyboard for $50? Yes, I missed the processor thing: however a Core i7 is at least 100 bucks more expensive, what does not add nothing to your point then ^^

About the blu-ray thing, I guess is also noticeable I said 'fully outperform PS3'. But if it pleases you, exchange that for a Lite-On DH-4O1S-08 Black Blu-ray Reader which is at least $80.

 



 

 

 

 

 

First off; Crysis is shit. It is also unplayable at max settings because of horrid optimazation no matter how insane your rig is (we've been over this too many times, max settings and very high settings are very different things).
I also can't see any reason why someone won't make a game that looks as good as or better than Crysis, see the massive leap in graphics quality in last gen games from the beginning of the gen till now to see what I mean.

Lastly; all those screens mean nothing, I've seen Crysis on 4-5 different rigs (as well as played the atrocity myself), most of which were superior to mine and it does not look like that, and when it comes close to looking like that, the FPS drops to ludicrous levels.

What's the point of this thread anyway?