By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 360 all shooters????

The list is flawed, the following should be included in either FPS or TPS instead of action:

Condemned, Gun and Vampire Rain.

Other than that it's fine.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Around the Network

hum condemned is hardly a predominant shooter game.... 80% of the time your are hitting people with a crowbar or else...

and about PS1/2 the thing was maybe they had more covered all the genre... but with 70% of shitty game which doesn't even deserves to be published (i'm not saying that was bad).... they just released tones of game so yes more were covered....

Hus said:
Yet the best sellers will be FPS, well they already are.

Whats the best selling game on PS3 right now Hus?

ckmlb said:
The list is flawed, the following should be included in either FPS or TPS instead of action:

Condemned, Gun and Vampire Rain.

Other than that it's fine.

Agreed.

Also, for some people, I think it's the PERSPECTIVE that really matters.  Some consumers get disoriented playing first-person games, regardless of the genre.  (I would POSSIBLY include Oblivion for that reason.)  For myself, I HATED first-person perspective games all the way up to THIS generation (360/PS3).  For me, the graphics just were'nt sharp enough to really tell what was going on.  Now, with HIGH DEFINITION, I'm really starting to enjoy first person games (Call of Duty II especially.)  My wife, on the other hand, gets a headache just watching me play anything FP.  (She's a pretty avid gamer herself.)

Also, the LOTR RTS game seems to be missing from the RTS list . . .

Darc Requiem said:
Hus said:
Yet the best sellers will be FPS, well they already are.

Whats the best selling game on PS3 right now Hus?

plural, look it up.

Around the Network

I think what's telling is when you add up the FPS/TPS, Sports, Fighting, and Driving games = 59%

These are essentially MORE of the SAME from the last generation.  That's what [another company] means when they talk about growing the market. 

Some people really like these games, of course, but personally, I do not enjoy Sports/Fighting/Driving at all (for the most part, they feel like the same experience, just repackaged.)  As I said above, FPS seems to be more immersive, and more FUN this generation (for me at least), but there's still a stigma about FPS that some gamers just don't like, or, if they do, they prefer FPS on PC anyway.  And TPS is, actually, one of my favorite genres.

My point then, is that, for many gamers (not all), they can look at 3/5's of the 360 library and say "been there, played that."  I am a 360 owner, and I really enjoy the games I have for it, but I'd lying to you if I said I felt like I had a really expansive selection of games to choose from.  Now, the upcoming games for q4 . . .  wow.  But right now . . . meh.

I wouldn't consider GUN an FPS/TPS game because Saints Row is considered action/adventure. Likewise, I would take out Crackdown, and put it in action/adventure.

But that'd be offset by Condemned, and Vampire Rain. Both, despite horror elements, would still be considered FPS/TPS games in my book.

For RTS games, they totally forgot Universe at War and World in Conflict.

Still though, it has the highest amount of FPS/TPS games of any system - but hardly a significant majority. The problem lies in the fact that FPS/TPS games typically dominate the X360 best-seller lists.

Of the 20, X360 million sellers, you've got:

8 FPS/TPS games (Gears of War, Call of Duty 2, Ghost Recon 1, Rainbow Six Vegas, Call of Duty 3, Lost Planet, Perfect Dark Zero, Ghost Recon 2)

4 Racing (Forza Motorsports 2, Need for Speed Carbon, Need for Speed Most Wanted, Project Gotham Racing 3)

4 Action/Adventure (Crackdown, Dead Rising, Saints Row, Splinter Cell: DA)

2 Sports (Madden 2007, Fight Night Round 3)

1 RPG (Oblivion)

1 Guitar Hero game (Guitar Hero 2)

Quite a bit different, eh? Even though the X360 has tons of non-FPS/TPS games, the ones that sell are certainly, unequivically shooters. However, I don't think this is entirely the X360s fault. The primary issue is that the system is obviously US-dominant. And US-dominated games are shooter-heavy. That is a certainty. Whereas the Wii and PS3 aren't really dominated by the US, but are more equally distributed between Japan and the US, with Europe next in line. This creates a huge issue, as Japan is certainly more RPG, Puzzle/Minigame, and platformer heavy. This is why the non-shooters on X360 don't sell as well: when 65% of your sales are in the US, 65% of your million sellers are going to be what Americans like: Football, FPS/TPS, and a few action, adventure and racing games.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Yet 17% of 360 library is FPS/TPS, but in those action games list there is still some shooters that don't fix on the FPS/TPS category but those game can be considered Action/Shooter rather than Action/Adventure IMO, I will follow the ck list. I think is pointless to argue this topic becuase some think that some games are shooters and some think that those games aren't shooters. Is a matter of opinion.

Condemned Criminal Origins,
Gun, 
Just Cause, (GTA style)
King Kong,
Saints Row,(GTA style) 
Vampire Rain, 
The outfit, 
The Godfather,(GTA style) 
Amored Core 4(Sci-fi/Shooter),
Chromehounds,
Project Slypheed(Sci-fi/Shooter)

PS Vita and PC gamer

CPU Intel i5 2500K at 4.5 Ghz / Gigabyte Z68 Mobo / 8 Gb Corsair Vengeance 1600 mhz / Sapphire HD 7970 Dual X Boost / Corsair Obsidian 550d 

BTW, some of the Xbox's biggest games were not FPS or TPS either. KOTOR is an RPG, and Splinter Cell (in that it was made for the Xbox) is a stealth game.

It's just that Halo 1 & 2 were the bestselling Xbox games and that a lot of PC FPS were ported to the Xbox (Farcry, Doom 3, Half-Life 2).

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

outlawauron said:
I posted this b/c im tired of hearing that all the 360 has are shooters.

The percentage gets higher and higher as you look at only the top 360 games.  If you look at the ones with an 8.0 average review or higher, it's almost 1/4th of all 360 games are shooters.  More than that are Sports games.  Two specific genres take up over half of the good games on the 360.

That's a problem.  The library needs better diversity.  Every time I talk to people anticipating 360 games, it's always "Gears of War" "Lost Planet" "halo 3" "madden".  It seems like few big name highly anticipated games (outside of RPGs of some sort, which I hate) are not shooters/sports.