By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 360 all shooters????

And WTF is wrong with shooters ?

Not everyone wants cutsy childish pixar type stuff.

Around the Network

Yes, the 360 will have nothing but shooters once the beleaguered "Viva Piñata" is converted to the much more successful "Viva 1942: Piñata Battlefield", coming Fall 2008.

:D

The question will be what major non F/Tps shooters help get the 360 over that perception. Right now a lot of people are pointing to Forza 2, Mass Effect, Fable 2 and the like. But the original Xbox had Forza, Kotor 1&2 and Fable as well, and it was still largely considered a shooter only system. It seems like there will be a nice wave of RPG's coming the box's way, which should go a long way to helping out. Same with GTA4, which may have a lot of shooting, but should bring in a much wider demographic. It would also seem that the 360 is a bit more sport friendly than the original box.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Killzone3 said:

I realize that as a mod I should conduct myself in the most mature and reserved manner but... well... it's just that... you see... You're an idiot.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

stof said:
The question will be what major non F/Tps shooters help get the 360 over that perception. Right now a lot of people are pointing to Forza 2, Mass Effect, Fable 2 and the like. But the original Xbox had Forza, Kotor 1&2 and Fable as well, and it was still largely considered a shooter only system. It seems like there will be a nice wave of RPG's coming the box's way, which should go a long way to helping out. Same with GTA4, which may have a lot of shooting, but should bring in a much wider demographic. It would also seem that the 360 is a bit more sport friendly than the original box.

It would take an extremely large effort by Microsoft to change the image of the 360.  They're making games like Banjo Kazooie 3 and a few casual games but that simply isn't even close to what's needed.  They'd have to make at least 10 games of Banjo Kazooie 3's quality and secure exclusivity of some good third party platform games in order to build the audience and change the 360 from being seen as something for the hardcore to a console for everyone like the PS2 was/is.

Around the Network
Legend11 said:
Umm I think you need to look up the meaning of the word shovelware.

Well, I don't.

Show me a prominent platformer, JRPG, offstyle racer, or adventure game on the 360 and then maybe you can tell me what to look up.

Consoles owned: Saturn, Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, PSP, DS, PS3

Lord N said:

That list is rather misleading.

The 360's best-selling titles are, in fact, shooters, sports games, and racing/driving sims. It may have games in the other genres, but they're mostly just shovelware. It still doesn't have anything big when it comes to platformers, adventure games, fighting games, JRPG's, or offstyle racers.

The fact that it sells decently in N. America, poorly in Europe, and next to nothing in Japan should you that.

Well wait a month, and if Blue Dragon sells well, you have one.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Oblivion sold well and it's not a shooter.

Lord N said:
Legend11 said:
Umm I think you need to look up the meaning of the word shovelware.

Well, I don't.

Show me a prominent platformer, JRPG, offstyle racer, or adventure game on the 360 and then maybe you can tell me what to look up.

"The term "shovelware" has more recently been used in a more general sense by video game reviewers to indicate any product of disappointingly low quality due to a lack of time and effort by the developers. For example, Adam Sessler of X-Play described the Playstation 3 launch game Mobile Suit Gundam: Crossfire as "shovelware of the highest order", which took little advantage of the new system's capabilities and was rushed out in order for it to be a launch title [1]."

source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shovelware

Anyways Lord N from what I see of your use of the word shovelware you seem to think it means games that sold poorly when in fact that is simply not the case.

stof said:
Killzone3 said:

I realize that as a mod I should conduct myself in the most mature and reserved manner but... well... it's just that... you see... You're an idiot.

So killzone2 is an idiot casue he really likes shooters and not more youger demographics oriented games.  Shooters are some of the biggets games in North America, so are you saying the entire market is idiots ?

I dont see why hes still a mod after a comment like that, if he had such a big problem with the guys post he shouls have Pm'd him.  Maybe the admin should moderate the mods, some people can be mods other should not.