By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Over $60M Spent on Blu-ray Last Week

Seraphic_Sixaxis said:
Thats over the top lol.

But impressive, Blu-Ray is much bigger then it was last year, back-to-back Ad's and Word of mouth is really pushing Blu-Ray to the skies.

Disney and Warner Bros are the two main supporters really getin the word out there IMO even though every mainstream company has gone "Blu" now those 2 are screaming Blu-Ray everyday lol.

Btw was the Dark Knight good? i've still yet to see it on any format nor did i see it in the movies. how good is it?

It's damn good. My favourite movie this year.

Hopefully Blu-ray continues to grow, I want to see those prices drop!

Around the Network

14% doesn't sound that big to me, I know blu-ray is in the introduction stages but it still seems small for something that was supposed to take off this year. I kinda expected 20%.

Also 14% is revenue. Unit wise it is something like 7-8% assuming the price is actually double of DVD! (Is it? I never purchased DVDs)

I'm still undecided if I should get Dark Knight for blu-ray, or pick up ironman for blu-ray. I liked Ironman more.

Dallinor said:
Seraphic_Sixaxis said:
Thats over the top lol.

But impressive, Blu-Ray is much bigger then it was last year, back-to-back Ad's and Word of mouth is really pushing Blu-Ray to the skies.

Disney and Warner Bros are the two main supporters really getin the word out there IMO even though every mainstream company has gone "Blu" now those 2 are screaming Blu-Ray everyday lol.

Btw was the Dark Knight good? i've still yet to see it on any format nor did i see it in the movies. how good is it?

It's damn good. My favourite movie this year.

Hopefully Blu-ray continues to grow, I want to see those prices drop!

i totally agree...joker was the best ! LOL

The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian was also my best movie for 2008 !

Ah yes, the classic charge-more-then-crow-about-record-revenues stategy.

RED53DEVILS said:

representing 14% of the home media market. 

On the year in whole, consumers have spent nearly $500M on Blu-ray titles, and the average spent per week has been growing as adoption continues to rise.Blu-ray format is growing at a much faster pace than the DVD when it was competing with the VHS.

Wow fantastic news.

How much of that does Sony get? could these kind of great blu ray sales make up for their losses in their gaming division?

Around the Network
DKII said:

That statement doesn't even makes sense. If anything BLu-rays have gone down in price not up. New releases are $25-$30 and many older movies are under $15 now.

good news. i would like to see dark night on blu-ray.

DKII said:

And forget that a 14% market share by revenue of the top 10 movies isn't much better than last week because TDK was an even bigger hit on DVD.

SMcc1887 said:
@Kasz216 (check out this)

www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/slow-hdtv-sales-impacting-playstation-3-uptake

That's someones opinion.

It's not an actual proof of anything.  Nothing is shown there.

Furthermore it's the opinion of an analyst who's credibility is often questioned.

rasone77 said:
DKII said:

That statement doesn't even makes sense. If anything BLu-rays have gone down in price not up. New releases are $25-$30 and many older movies are under $15 now.

The 167% spike is due in large part to the Blu-ray release of 'The Dark Knight'

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957