By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Over $60M Spent on Blu-ray Last Week

MikeB said:

@ Nidan

I think its because people on this site are "GAMES" nuts first and foremost.

Yes, but Blu-Ray holds much potential as a scratch resistant high capacity storage medium for games as well.

Oh for god sake, can you hear yourself? Blu-Ray has a coating because it is so PRONE TO SCRATCHES. That coating is eseential and just drives up costs per unit. Without it there would be scratches right through to the stamped\written surface because the surface has to be closer to the laser than with other formats. This isn't a "positive". Its a negative, it makes companies think twice before investing in the product.

At only 119 Euro including 19% taxes the 360 game bundle (or ~199 dollar for the US) is more targeted at the lower end of the market. It's more likely to be bought by parents as a cheap gift for a kid gamer.

This isn't about the Xbox 360, but you just had to make a cheap dig as per usual in your crusade to spread the PS3 teachings. In any case everyone knows that the Xbox 360 is seen as a hardcore gamer's console, whatever one of those is.

Blu-ray still has alot further to go until it makes it as big as DVD (if it does, because older movies may not be made in BLU-RAY format as these players also play DVDs. It wont be essential for Studios to re-realease movies on BLU-ray if they exisit on DVD as they did from VHS to DVD)

The first DVD/Blu-Ray combo discs are to be released in Japan next year in February, in Japan Blu-Ray has already overtaken DVD according to GfK Retail and Technology. Its adoption happened 1.5 times faster than was the case for DVD vs VHS. This may save retailer shelf space if this approach will be successful and may help to bring down pricing.

So what? Laser Disc was popular in Japan also? Japan means nothing in terms of overall world buying habits. The games market is smaller than in the UK. Such respect and grace should not be given to it in terms of its buying power.

For Europe/North America, Dark Knight sold 1.7 million copies its first week on the market, a new record. Taking equal timeframes the Matrix in 1999 sold a record 780K on DVD.

Bullshit comparison, there were far more lucrative titles available on DVD back then, the way Blu-Rays are released now is like a small stream. The movie studios themselves aren't convinced by the format and thus there is hardly any back catalogue titles relatively speaking available. Any "top" Blu-Ray release is lapped up by owners. Even a lot of non Blu-Ray buyers like many million PS3 owners would jump at the chance to get the Dark Knight in HD.

Its hardly representative of the general situation AT ALL

Please read the bold

MikeB spouting his well written rubbish as per usual, if I didn't know better, I'd be convinced...

Don't get sucked into his little tricks ;)

Around the Network
MikeB said:
@ Uncle Fister

That doesn't actually answer the question though, does it?

For Japan Blu-Ray is the leading format, surprisingly HDTVs have already seen an enormous penetration there as well.

For the United States Dark Knight on Blu-Ray accounts for about 20% of sales and more regarding revenue. It a record compared to DVD adoption and a great result this early within its lifecycle.

Why bring the PS3 into it?

It one of the best Blu-Ray players on the market, great quality, fast loading, great additional HDTV targeted content and services like games and PlayTV (for Europe), etc.

Heck, a lot of people didn't even have computers at home in developed countries.

So? You don't need a computer enjoy your HDTV setup, actually a Blu-Ray player or PS3 is usually far more comfortable for that.

There hasn't been a significant demonstration of a link between HDTV penetration and uptake of Blu-Ray format.

LOL, why should one buy a Blu-Ray player without owning a HDTV?

True. You win the argument.

Uncle Fister said:
MikeB said:

@ Nidan

Yes, but Blu-Ray holds much potential as a scratch resistant high capacity storage medium for games as well.

Oh for god sake, can you hear yourself? Blu-Ray has a coating because it is so PRONE TO SCRATCHES. That coating is eseential and just drives up costs per unit. Without it there would be scratches right through to the stampedwritten surface because the surface has to be closer to the laser than with other formats. This isn't a "positive". Its a negative, it makes companies think twice before investing in the product.

At only 119 Euro including 19% taxes the 360 game bundle (or ~199 dollar for the US) is more targeted at the lower end of the market. It's more likely to be bought by parents as a cheap gift for a kid gamer.

This isn't about the Xbox 360, but you just had to make a cheap dig as per usual in your crusade to spread the PS3 teachings. In any case everyone knows that the Xbox 360 is seen as a hardcore gamer's console, whatever one of those is.

Blu-ray still has alot further to go until it makes it as big as DVD (if it does, because older movies may not be made in BLU-RAY format as these players also play DVDs. It wont be essential for Studios to re-realease movies on BLU-ray if they exisit on DVD as they did from VHS to DVD)

The first DVD/Blu-Ray combo discs are to be released in Japan next year in February, in Japan Blu-Ray has already overtaken DVD according to GfK Retail and Technology. Its adoption happened 1.5 times faster than was the case for DVD vs VHS. This may save retailer shelf space if this approach will be successful and may help to bring down pricing.

So what? Laser Disc was popular in Japan also? Japan means nothing in terms of overall world buying habits. The games market is smaller than in the UK. Such respect and grace should not be given to it in terms of its buying power.

For Europe/North America, Dark Knight sold 1.7 million copies its first week on the market, a new record. Taking equal timeframes the Matrix in 1999 sold a record 780K on DVD.

Bullshit comparison, there were far more lucrative titles available on DVD back then, the way Blu-Rays are released now is like a small stream. The movie studios themselves aren't convinced by the format and thus there is hardly any back catalogue titles relatively speaking available. Any "top" Blu-Ray release is lapped up by owners. Even a lot of non Blu-Ray buyers like many million PS3 owners would jump at the chance to get the Dark Knight in HD.

Its hardly representative of the general situation AT ALL

Please read the bold

MikeB spouting his well written rubbish as per usual, if I didn't know better, I'd be convinced...

Don't get sucked into his little tricks ;)

haha, you are so getting banned soon. A little hint, more people on this site regard MikeB's word higher than yours.

I GOT dark knight on blu ray!

i am buying a new sharp LCD 32' for christmas

I just purchased a $300 blu-ray player and 4 blu-ray movies 4 days ago (the first being) the dark knight. But even though I just received a very substantial bonus (my reason for buying blu-ray now instead of waiting for the player prices to drop), my blu-ray movie buying is now stalled. Why? The movies are too darned expensive. I will pay $25-35 for a few releases like the dark knight, but I won't pay more than $15 for a Disney movie, AA movie, etc.

My point? I'm worried that even while a super blockbuster like dark knight will sell at the current prices, most other movies will not. They need to drop the prices or the momentum will stall.

Around the Network

"This is just U.S.A"

that quote brings joy to me because, JAPAN has a much higher market share for blu-ray than the U.S, same for europe.

mM

I purchased a Magnavox Blu Ray player for $130 on BF and have yet to buy a movie. But I get them from Netflix. I have seen about 6 blu ray movies since then. I love Netflix. BR discs are still way too expensive for me.

That is a lot of moolah.

My most anticipated games:  Whatever Hideo Kojima is going to do next, Final Fantasy XIII, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Gran Turismo 5, Alan Wake, Wii Sports Resort.  Cave Story Wiiware.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqqLMgbtrB8

Thats over the top lol.

But impressive, Blu-Ray is much bigger then it was last year, back-to-back Ad's and Word of mouth is really pushing Blu-Ray to the skies.

Disney and Warner Bros are the two main supporters really getin the word out there IMO even though every mainstream company has gone "Blu" now those 2 are screaming Blu-Ray everyday lol.

Btw was the Dark Knight good? i've still yet to see it on any format nor did i see it in the movies. how good is it?

damm....that is alot....good for Sony.....oh and some ppl was stating blu-ray will die soon ?? LOL wonder what they will have to say now