By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Over $60M Spent on Blu-ray Last Week

NJ5 said:
rasone77 said:
DKII said:
Ah yes, the classic charge-more-then-crow-about-record-revenues stategy.

That statement doesn't even makes sense. If anything BLu-rays have gone down in price not up. New releases are $25-$30 and many older movies are under $15 now.

The 167% spike is due in large part to the Blu-ray release of 'The Dark Knight'

thats a good thing since we have several spikes over the year iron man was awesome on HD TOO =) sames for transfomers.

Around the Network

i agree that blue ray discs got thje support of ps3 from the begining but the numbers are only increasing in the U.S and comparitvely in the rest of the world the numbers comparitively quite less but saying this i don't deny that the blue ray disc has amazing features and the picture quality and the sound quality is far beyond excellence i got to get my hands on that dvd of the dark knight

The Dark Knight costs the same on Blu-Ray as on DvD here. Couldn't this be a reason for it's good sales?

tishabridges said:

i agree that blue ray discs got thje support of ps3 from the begining but the numbers are only increasing in the U.S and comparitvely in the rest of the world the numbers comparitively quite less but saying this i don't deny that the blue ray disc has amazing features and the picture quality and the sound quality is far beyond excellence i got to get my hands on that dvd of the dark knight

Blu-Ray performs much better in Japan than for the US, no matter if Dark Knight will perform there or not. The Japanese may have other taste, just like mainland Europe.

Some Europe/UK data:

"what with the flourishing sales of Blu-ray Disc movies and players all across Europe! In November, Blu-ray hardware sales - which include PS3 consoles - outsold DVD hardware sales, including PS2 consoles, by five times.

Most business analysts feel that 2008 has certainly "been a breakthrough year for Blu-Ray." British Blu-ray player owners bought nearly 462,500 titles in November, a 165% increase over the previous month. The latest numbers for December, released by the British Video Association (BVA) show that 'The Dark Knight' sold an astounding 513,000 units on the first day alone, and 21% of those sales were Blu-Ray."

Blu-Ray sales surging in Europe

http://topnews.us/content/21139-blu-ray-sales-surging-europe

The format performs well globally.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

I see some think blu-ray overtook DVD sales in Japan. That's not true. It was just recorders (although the headlines "somehow" left that out), not movies or straight players. And we don't even know if it's for movies or storage.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs