By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Salt in a Wound. Lik-Sang

spitfire1945 said: Kwaad said: Everyone hates Sony for sueing Lik-Sang. Alot of people are boycotting Sony because of it. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/06/19/nintendo_wins_liksang_piracy_case/ http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2006/10/23/sony_defeats_lik-sang/ A company can only take so much abuse. Sony just beat them down over time. Boycott sony for sure! Helloooooo!!! Want to import??? There's always www.play-asia.com to go to. AND they were selling same thing as Lik-Sang, BUT they stopped selling mod stuff once Sony sued Lik-Sang. Anyway they're still up and in business.. so stop whining and go there if you all REALLY want to import!!!
Thank you. Lik-Sang did not show up to court and selling devices out of region creates probles. I guess sony finally realized the amount of imports and made japan and usa region 1.

Games make me happy! PSN ID: Staticneuron Gamertag: Staticneuron Wii Code: Static Wii - 3055 0871 5802 1723

Around the Network

BUT they stopped selling mod stuff once Sony sued Lik-Sang
No, Play-Asia cancelled all of their PSP/PS3 orders/preorders internationally, there was a big thing on the blogs about it.
selling devices out of region creates probles
Last time I checked there was nothing illegal or immoral about it, as long as certain guidelines are fulfilled, none of which have anything to do with the manufacturer. Lik-Sang was following those laws in regards to the "safety of the equipment".

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.

staticneuron said: spitfire1945 said: Kwaad said: Everyone hates Sony for sueing Lik-Sang. Alot of people are boycotting Sony because of it. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/06/19/nintendo_wins_liksang_piracy_case/ http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2006/10/23/sony_defeats_lik-sang/ A company can only take so much abuse. Sony just beat them down over time. Boycott sony for sure! Helloooooo!!! Want to import??? There's always www.play-asia.com to go to. AND they were selling same thing as Lik-Sang, BUT they stopped selling mod stuff once Sony sued Lik-Sang. Anyway they're still up and in business.. so stop whining and go there if you all REALLY want to import!!! Thank you. Lik-Sang did not show up to court and selling devices out of region creates probles. I guess sony finally realized the amount of imports and made japan and usa region 1.
Staticneuron, Lik-Sang didn't have he funds to hire legal counsel for each country Sony was suing them in. Sony put them out of business. As Vanguardian said, their case had to no merit. They were buying products from from Sony in Japan and reselling those products with the proper power supplys in Europe. Sony new that they couldn't win on legal grounds so they sued them in as many countries as possible at the same time until Lik-Sang lacked the necessary funds and had no choice but to fold. Since the PSP is region free, Euro gamers that purchased from Lik-Sang can buy their games in Europe.

Kwaad said: I think Nintendo destroyed Lik-Sang, and Sony just finished the job.
Yeah, because they didn't have years to recover

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

"In a move that could have serious repercussions for gamers worldwide, the UK High Court has ruled that noted Hong Kong-based electronics exporter Lik-Sang is in violation of Sony's intellectual property rights when it sells the company's hardware inside the European Economic Area." http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=20489 Let us say that selling PSP does not pose a danger. What happens when people imports PSP and it stops working. They call up Sony and find out that they do not get support from them for thier item who looks bad? Sensible people know about the grey area they step into when they import hardware but I have been exposed to way to many people and cultures to know that people have this incredible sense of entitlement even if it doesn't make sense. Lik-Sang did do something illegal. It is Sony's IP, they have the rights to say when, where and how it is sold. Just like I was saying above it is funny about how people have this false sense of entitlement when they cry about the price of the PS3, The lik sang lawsuit, the price of the UMD's and/or the fact that the PS3 shipped with Blu Ray. You don't like it. Don't buy it. But what gives all these internet geniouses the right to dictate to Sony what they do with thier product? Who gave them the right to dictate to devs exactly how much space they "need" to make a game or what procedures/artstyle they should use. I am a Fan of the Playstation line. I thought UMD's were to expensive. Instead of whining I just didn't purchase any. If I really wanted them at a reasonable price I would have sent mail to sony about the prices. But it really is that simple. Lik-Sang did wrong. They were warned multiple times. They got sued. I feel no pity. Favorite website response: "UPDATE: As much as I hate to say it, I was wrong about this. After researching this issue further I've come to the following conclusions: 1) Technically by the letter of the law, what Lik-Sang was doing was illegal. 2) Sony was acting within their rights to sue Lik Sang. One lawsuit doesn't shut a company down. 3) Lik-Sang had the chance to fight Sony in court in London, and instead chose to not show up in court and instead close their doors. Which made me realize this one simple fact - if Lik-Sang wasn't willing to appear in court and defend their position, why am I fighting for them? While I'm really sad to see Lik-Sang go and think Sony's PR department has no grasp on reality, I've had some time to think about this. If Lik-Sang thought they were in the right they should have shown up in court and defended their position instead of just suddenly closing up shop." http://www.gadgetmadness.com/archives/20061024-liksangcom_out_of_business_due_to_multiple_sony_lawsuits.php

Games make me happy! PSN ID: Staticneuron Gamertag: Staticneuron Wii Code: Static Wii - 3055 0871 5802 1723

Around the Network

staticneuron said: "In a move that could have serious repercussions for gamers worldwide, the UK High Court has ruled that noted Hong Kong-based electronics exporter Lik-Sang is in violation of Sony's intellectual property rights when it sells the company's hardware inside the European Economic Area." http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=20489 Let us say that selling PSP does not pose a danger. What happens when people imports PSP and it stops working. They call up Sony and find out that they do not get support from them for thier item who looks bad? Sensible people know about the grey area they step into when they import hardware but I have been exposed to way to many people and cultures to know that people have this incredible sense of entitlement even if it doesn't make sense. Lik-Sang did do something illegal. It is Sony's IP, they have the rights to say when, where and how it is sold. Just like I was saying above it is funny about how people have this false sense of entitlement when they cry about the price of the PS3, The lik sang lawsuit, the price of the UMD's and/or the fact that the PS3 shipped with Blu Ray. You don't like it. Don't buy it. But what gives all these internet geniouses the right to dictate to Sony what they do with thier product? Who gave them the right to dictate to devs exactly how much space they "need" to make a game or what procedures/artstyle they should use. I am a Fan of the Playstation line. I thought UMD's were to expensive. Instead of whining I just didn't purchase any. If I really wanted them at a reasonable price I would have sent mail to sony about the prices. But it really is that simple. Lik-Sang did wrong. They were warned multiple times. They got sued. I feel no pity. Favorite website response: "UPDATE: As much as I hate to say it, I was wrong about this. After researching this issue further I've come to the following conclusions: 1) Technically by the letter of the law, what Lik-Sang was doing was illegal. 2) Sony was acting within their rights to sue Lik Sang. One lawsuit doesn't shut a company down. 3) Lik-Sang had the chance to fight Sony in court in London, and instead chose to not show up in court and instead close their doors. Which made me realize this one simple fact - if Lik-Sang wasn't willing to appear in court and defend their position, why am I fighting for them? While I'm really sad to see Lik-Sang go and think Sony's PR department has no grasp on reality, I've had some time to think about this. If Lik-Sang thought they were in the right they should have shown up in court and defended their position instead of just suddenly closing up shop." http://www.gadgetmadness.com/archives/20061024-liksangcom_out_of_business_due_to_multiple_sony_lawsuits.php
Imagine you're an importer/exporter and you turn a (nice) $1 Million profit in a given year ... Suddenly a company gets angry at you and files 20 lawsuits in seperate countries which (if you fight them) will cost you $250,000 each in Legal fees; this means you have to spend $5 Million to fight for a company which only makes $1 Million in profit. What do you do? You walk away ...

Just like stated in the article. You can show up in one and set precedence. If they knew they were in their right then why didn't they fight? Unless you are just trying to show an example of why a company is in the wrong needed to close shop?

staticneuron said: Just like stated in the article. You can show up in one and set precedence. If they knew they were in their right then why didn't they fight? Unless you are just trying to show an example of why a company is in the wrong needed to close shop?
An important lesson everyone must learn is that there are some fights you simply can not win ... If you're a small company (like Lik-Sang) and you're 'attacked' by a much larger company (like Sony) your legal fees are going to take up a large portion of your revinue; the larger company will likely have better legal councel and will probably drag the lawsuit out for as long as they can. Even if you're lucky enough to win the larger company will apeal the ruling and drag out that case for as long as they can. A company like Lik-Sang new they were going to go bankrupt regardless; even if they won the case their company was finished.

If you were a small company, the 350MILLION$ lawsuit nintendo won... would put you out of business...

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Kwaad said: If you were a small company, the 350MILLION$ lawsuit nintendo won... would put you out of business...
You do know there is a difference between what a lawsuit says you have to pay out and what the company actually pays out, right?

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away"