By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Salt in a Wound. Lik-Sang

sieanr said: You do know there is a difference between what a lawsuit says you have to pay out and what the company actually pays out, right?
I know, but as far as I'm aware... the Sony lawsuit wasnt near as big. I think they just decided to close up shop, instead of paying out more money.

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Around the Network

Kwaad said: BenKenobi88 said: Sucks for Lik-Sang...although flash cards and linkers definitely didn't help Nintendo's business...it's understandable for them to sue. Lik-Sang was selling the PSP's to Europe with basically no way for them to play any of the games. The idea for Europe was to Flash the PSP to one of the... upgraded... OS And then run your PSP games, NES, SNES, etc. Off the memory card. Not buy games from sony. An Japanese PSP in Europe is useless unless you understand Japanese. If they were being bought by the tens of thousands... That *is* a big problem. Because I doubt that many people can play the Japanese games... :P
Isn't the PSP region free for the games ???

Now Loading... Please Wait!

Yeah their region free. But you cant buy european games. They were being sent over there, flash the BIOS, and then play PS1 and PSP games on it for free.

What happens when people imports PSP and it stops working. They call up Sony and find out that they do not get support from them for thier item who looks bad? Sensible people know about the grey area they step into when they import hardware but I have been exposed to way to many people and cultures to know that people have this incredible sense of entitlement even if it doesn't make sense.
Then it is the consumer's fault, and nobody else's. Yes, it would tarnish Son'y image indirectly, but that is not the fault of Lik-Sang.
they have the rights to say when, where and how it is sold.
You have the right to choose who to sell it to, but after that, where the product is taken/sold afterwards is completely out of your hands. Naturally, that statement only applies to hardware and legal goods, not software.

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.

There are some weird issues. One being trademark/copyright. Sony europe wants the profit, not Sony Japan. Sony Europe has the LEGAL RIGHTS to exclusivly sell that product in Europe. By Importing that product to a country Sony Europe has that trademark/copyright. You are breaking the law. Example. Japan has a device called Apple splicer. America has a device called Apple ripper. If someone imported Apple Splicer... and it was exactly the same thing as 'Apple Ripper'. That is Illegal, and whoever owned the copyright for the 'Apple Ripper' in america, can sue whoever imported the Apple Splicer.

Around the Network

Ordering something online or over the phone types of sales aren't subjugated by the same laws as retail outlets. If Lik-Sang opened a retail outlet and did this, Sony may be able to do something about it within the laws of the countries, it depends. Outside of a few situations usually involving illegal products, data encryption, and a few other issues, it is completely legal, otherwise, to import products from other countries. If I wanted to import a PSP from Japan from Playasia, Sony has no legal right to block that.

vanguardian1 said: Ordering something online or over the phone types of sales aren't subjugated by the same laws as retail outlets. If Lik-Sang opened a retail outlet and did this, Sony may be able to do something about it within the laws of the countries, it depends. Outside of a few situations usually involving illegal products, data encryption, and a few other issues, it is completely legal, otherwise, to import products from other countries. If I wanted to import a PSP from Japan from Playasia, Sony has no legal right to block that.
Actually sony couldnt sue lik-sang in europe, unless they had a presence there either... come to think of it. hmmm... they were sueing them in asia obviously... meaning it would have been 1 lawsuit... not 20 like earlier mentioned. And if there was only 1. They could easily win if they were in the OK.

vanguardian1 said: Ordering something online or over the phone types of sales aren't subjugated by the same laws as retail outlets. If Lik-Sang opened a retail outlet and did this, Sony may be able to do something about it within the laws of the countries, it depends. Outside of a few situations usually involving illegal products, data encryption, and a few other issues, it is completely legal, otherwise, to import products from other countries. If I wanted to import a PSP from Japan from Playasia, Sony has no legal right to block that.
Did you read the link I put earlier? "In his ruling yesterday, Judge Michael Fysh found that Lik-Sang - which offered Japanese PSPs to European consumers via its website - was in breach of intellectual property rights. Lik-Sang had claimed that it was operating within the law as the company is based in Hong Kong, and has no trading presence in the UK or European Economic Area. But, as reported by the Financial Times, Judge Fysh ruled that, "The acts of which the complaint is made have, in my view, been perpetrated not in Hong Kong but here in the EEA, and without Sony's consent." Yes websites no matter where they are based can break local laws but the issue is whether or not they had to adhere to it in the first place. Because this ruling went through, Lik-Sang had something to do with the european forum or else they could not have been slapped with that violation of IP ruling. It would have been thrown out. Unless everyone in blind defense of lik sang thinks that the UK courts are just completely inept. Or that they know more about the law or international law than a judge.

Games make me happy! PSN ID: Staticneuron Gamertag: Staticneuron Wii Code: Static Wii - 3055 0871 5802 1723

So essentially what you're saying is that any manufacturer has the right to stop others (whom have already bought and paid for the product) from re-selling their products in other regions? I'm sorry, I don't buy it.

I don't see the point reiterating everything here that is present on hundreds of other sites. Kwaad - as usual, you have no idea. Sony had no intention of taking Lik-Sang to court - their sole intention was to take them out. That is why they simultaneously issued court orders against Lik-Sang in multiple countries at the same time (making it impossible for them to contest). Well done (again) to Sony for biting the hand that feeds them... (i.e. take out a retailer that sells their products to consumers - including their OWN management!).

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099