By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will PS3 eventually pass 360?

Hus said:
omgwtfbbq said:
Hus said:
omgwtfbbq said:

Fixed! =)

Don't be so sure that Japan will allow the PS3 to win Japan. They're struggling there. Not as much as the 360 is, but they are definitely struggling and I don't see this market making up for MS's dominance over the PS3 in America. Japan is th smallest of the big three markets by far.

I don't think the PS3 will ever catch up with the 360. The 360 is seeing more software sales, has more exclusives, and will continue to see the most exclusives due to seeing more software sales. It's the cycle of life (or death) for a console.

Ok.

Worst case is PS3 does what 7/8 million in Japan after 5/6 years ?

You think the few 3rd party exclusives 360 can get will make up for Sonys own development capability ?

The cost of a port is less then what the profits they will get from a PS3 version.

1) Worst case in Japan is probably around 4 Million. Gamecube barely did any better than that.

2) Yes I think that third parties MS gets can make up for Sony's in house development. Sony basically has one huge huge first party title (Gran Turismo) and after that every major game is third party. If Nintendo couldn't carry themselves over Microsoft based on the strongest first party company in the world (don't even think Sony's first party development will see anywhere near the success of Nintendo) then I don't see how Sony could.

3) But there are plenty of other reasons for making a title exclusive to a console. It's not just "cost to port > sales from console = port". There are always deals for exclusivity, reduction in royalties, etc etc. Some games will be multiplatform but just like last generation, a very large number of games will not be. Once again, I point you to the Gamecube as an example. Porting from PS2 to Gamecube is cheap too, but the GC still didn't see a lot of games.

Your whole theory is based on the GC comapro, PS3 is not the GC and 360 sure as hell is NOT the PS2 nor will it ever be!

Your thinking is quite flawed.

No his thinking is not flawed. The PS3 is actually selling at a similar, albiet slower, rate than the Gamecube. Japan by in large is a one system market. By that I mean, the winner of the Japanese console race always does so in dominant fashion. The PS3 will be lucky to hit 5 or 6 million in Japan this gen. I think it will be more like for 4 or 5 million to be honest.  Here first and second place consoles in Japan for the last few generations. The below numbers are according to VGChartz.

PS2: 21,993,859

GC: 4,023,059 

PS1: 18,704,192

SAT: 5,718,628

SNES: 17,150,000*

TG-16: 3,920,000*

*I couldn't find actual sales numbers for TG-16, so I had to used the VGChartz's shipped numbers. 

Around the Network
ssj12 said:
gebx said:
leo-j said:
WiteoutKing said:
The PS3 won't pull past 360 until 2009 at the absolute earliest. The momentum just isn't there.

Why would any idiot waste 500 dollars on a ps3? The momentum is there.

LOL!

Do you even look at the stats on this page or just go around posting BS??

Week ending Aug 5th in Japan - PS3 number went down 40%

Week ending Aug 4th in Japan - PS3 number went down 11%

I really hope this isn't the momentum you're talking about because at this rate all PS3's will be returned to retailers by Spring 08.

god its to easy to diss your fanboy ass comment.

you realize the boost was from the price drop, what happens when the good games start coming at the end of the month? A really big boost in sales. The sales boost was the thunder before the storm. And it might just be destructive.

Currently line-up vs line-up the PS3 and Wii have the strongest going into this holiday. Without GTA4 the 360 looks rather crappy this holiday.

@leo - resistance is a trillagy. There is a Resistance 2 coming in 2008.

@Kain - go play Resistance please then say that. If resistance came out at the sametime the original Halo did Halo would have been the one with the 9.1 and Resistance with the 9.8. 

god its to easy to diss your retarded ass comment....

Do you even know what momentum means? The momentum for the past 3 weeks have been pointing down.. sales are slowing down. Your whole comment lacks logic, what do you think will happen to the sales when the 60 gig is off the shelves therefore ending Sony's magical pricecut?

"when the good games start coming at the end of the month" omg!! seriously!! 

Do I need to point out Sham's calendar? You guys have been advocating the domination of consoles for the past 7 months. Every month we here the same dumb ass comment, made by the same dumbass posters

Get over it, it won't happen this year!!!

"Currently line-up vs line-up the PS3 and Wii have the strongest going into this holiday. Without GTA4 the 360 looks rather crappy this holiday."

Find me one single renown site that states the PS3 has a stronger Lineup then the 360... What you can't?? Really.. you mean your full of crap and making things up?

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

yes the PS3 will pass the 360 by christmas 2008,
Remember PS3 hasn't had a christmas in Europe yet, this will be massive for the console, with games like MGS4, Killzone 2, GT5, WKS, FFXIII (in japan maybe) the 360 hasn't got a hope in Europe or Japan, also by christmas 2008 ps3 will be about level with 360 in America.

None of my friends (who are very casual gamers) are interested at all in the 360 but all of them said they would get a ps3 when the price comes down.

Darc Requiem said:
Hus said:
omgwtfbbq said:
Hus said:
omgwtfbbq said:

Fixed! =)

Don't be so sure that Japan will allow the PS3 to win Japan. They're struggling there. Not as much as the 360 is, but they are definitely struggling and I don't see this market making up for MS's dominance over the PS3 in America. Japan is th smallest of the big three markets by far.

I don't think the PS3 will ever catch up with the 360. The 360 is seeing more software sales, has more exclusives, and will continue to see the most exclusives due to seeing more software sales. It's the cycle of life (or death) for a console.

Ok.

You think the few 3rd party exclusives 360 can get will make up for Sonys own development capability ?

The cost of a port is less then what the profits they will get from a PS3 version.

1) Worst case in Japan is probably around 4 Million. Gamecube barely did any better than that.

2) Yes I think that third parties MS gets can make up for Sony's in house development. Sony basically has one huge huge first party title (Gran Turismo) and after that every major game is third party. If Nintendo couldn't carry themselves over Microsoft based on the strongest first party company in the world (don't even think Sony's first party development will see anywhere near the success of Nintendo) then I don't see how Sony could.

3) But there are plenty of other reasons for making a title exclusive to a console. It's not just "cost to port > sales from console = port". There are always deals for exclusivity, reduction in royalties, etc etc. Some games will be multiplatform but just like last generation, a very large number of games will not be. Once again, I point you to the Gamecube as an example. Porting from PS2 to Gamecube is cheap too, but the GC still didn't see a lot of games.

Your whole theory is based on the GC comapro, PS3 is not the GC and 360 sure as hell is NOT the PS2 nor will it ever be!

No his thinking is not flawed. The PS3 is actually selling at a similar, albiet slower, rate than the Gamecube. Japan by in large is a one system market. By that I mean, the winner of the Japanese console race always does so in dominant fashion. The PS3 will be lucky to hit 5 or 6 million in Japan this gen. I think it will be more like for 4 or 5 million to be honest. Here first and second place consoles in Japan for the last few generations. The below numbers are according to VGChartz.

*I couldn't find actual sales numbers for TG-16, so I had to used the VGChartz's shipped numbers.

What does that have to do with PS3 vs 360 ?

Hus said:

Absolutely nothing but it has plenty to do with the PS3 vs Wii. You say Japan will be PS3's saving grace because the 360 has no market there. Yet historically speaking, Japan has only ever fully embraced one console each generation. People talk about how Japan is very xenocentric so it's to Sony & Nintendo's advantage, yet Sega never really made major waves in Japan. America was the only place that kept them floating. The major reason the DS is destroying the PSP in sales is Japan. Japan certainly hasn't done the PSP any favors. It's been outsold over 2:1 by the DS and each week the lead only extends as the DS normally outsells it by at least 3:1.

To cash in my CC rewards points for $300 in Circuit City gift cards to purchase a 360 or not: That is the question.

Around the Network
Hus said:
omgwtfbbq said:
Hus said:
omgwtfbbq said:

Fixed! =)

Ok.

How so?

I was comparing the Xbox360 and the PS3 to the Xbox and the Gamecube (where did the PS2 come from?). They are in very comparable situations at the moment. I am using past examples to rebuff all the "PS3 will definitely outsell the 360" points. 

1) "Without Japan, Xbox360 cannot beat PS3". Why not? Xbox beat Gamecube with an even worse performance than the 360 in Japan

2) "First party development will make up for lackluster third party". Once again, the Gamecube's stellar first party games didn't help make up for the Xbox's better third party.

3) "Ports are cheap". That didn't stopcompanies not porting games last generation.

Sorry, ut the previous generation of consoles is VERY relevant to the current generation of consoles, no matter how much you want to deny it. I never claimed that this is what is going to happen, since of course whle they're similar they're not EXACTLY the same, all I am stating is history is on the side of the Xbox360 in this case. 

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

Hus said:
Darc Requiem said:
Hus said:
omgwtfbbq said:
Hus said:
omgwtfbbq said:

Fixed! =)

Ok.

No his thinking is not flawed. The PS3 is actually selling at a similar, albiet slower, rate than the Gamecube. Japan by in large is a one system market. By that I mean, the winner of the Japanese console race always does so in dominant fashion. The PS3 will be lucky to hit 5 or 6 million in Japan this gen. I think it will be more like for 4 or 5 million to be honest. Here first and second place consoles in Japan for the last few generations. The below numbers are according to VGChartz.

It shows that your worst case scenario of 7 to 8 million PS3's being sold in Japan is highly unlikely. The PS3 is much weaker in Japan than anyone could have predicted. This is the biggest reason why the PS3 will have a tough time catching the 360. Honestly, Europe is probably going to be the determining factor in the second place race. The PS3 is not catching the 360 in the US and the 360 is definitely not catching the PS3 in Japan. 

Hus said:
El Duderino said:

MS will increase its lead this hollyday season so it will take lots of time for the PS3 to catch it,

How do you see that happening.

Japan is a good +1 mill for PS3 from xma sales.

Europe, even with a superior lineup and price the 360 is failing to out sales the PS3, what happens when PS3 gets a Euro price cut and the software finally hits ?

Will the 360 sale soooo great in USA that they can not only make up but gain extra lead ?

First of I don´t see a Euro price cut and software hitting any time soon, even if this happens the 360 still has a better price and more games,  Japan is going to get Sony some extra points but I don´t see it as beeing enough to outsell the 360 worldwide, X-mas 08 the PS3 has a very very good chance of doing some serious catching up but thats far away, what matters this X-mas is price and games, the difference in both is to big right now for americans and europeans, I have never given or received a present that costs over 400$, sure lots of people will buy a PS3 for themselfs but most will be gifts,

Software and price of the PS3 and the 360 will come closer together, but until this happens I don´t see the PS3 gaining any ground and I just don´t see it happening this year. 

El Duderino said:
Hus said:
El Duderino said:

MS will increase its lead this hollyday season so it will take lots of time for the PS3 to catch it,

How do you see that happening.

Japan is a good +1 mill for PS3 from xma sales.

Europe, even with a superior lineup and price the 360 is failing to out sales the PS3, what happens when PS3 gets a Euro price cut and the software finally hits ?

Will the 360 sale soooo great in USA that they can not only make up but gain extra lead ?

First of I don´t see a Euro price cut and software hitting any time soon, even if this happens the 360 still has a better price and more games, Japan is going to get Sony some extra points but I don´t see it as beeing enough to outsell the 360 worldwide, X-mas 08 the PS3 has a very very good chance of doing some serious catching up but thats far away, what matters this X-mas is price and games, the difference in both is to big right now for americans and europeans, I have never given or received a present that costs over 400$, sure lots of people will buy a PS3 for themselfs but most will be gifts,

Software and price of the PS3 and the 360 will come closer together, but until this happens I don´t see the PS3 gaining any ground and I just don´t see it happening this year.

Hmm, and why does the PS3 is outselling the 360 in Europe at the moment? You think this will change at Christmas? Being the first Christmas for the PS3? Against a real real bad brand name (in Europe (except U.K. maybe)?

The PS3 will get much closer to #2 in others this Christmas!

^^perhaps, but I still see the majority of X-mas sales beeing presents and there the price is most important, people buying right now buy as an investment for themselfs, also I don´t get who everybody says MS has such a bad brand name in europe, there are many reasons the 360 isn´t selling great here but I don´t see a bad name as beeing a major factor, all the people I know who buy electronics are very rational about their decision, besides McDonalds has a very bad brand name here, do we stop eating there ??? No we dont.

EDIT: great now my arrows point nowhere, craptastic