By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - LittleBigPlanet=141k & Valkyria Chronicles = 33k

Mrstickball If you must now Valkyria is a SRPG, not a JRPG, SRPG tend to sell bad on any console.

mM
Around the Network
~flame said:

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=21509

http://www.edge-online.com/news/valkyria-largely-ignored-us-gamers

Valkyria Largely Ignored by U.S. Gamers

Nevertheless, pockets of gamers admired the stylish PS3 exclusive for its unique look and interesting mix of real-time and turn-based tactics. Those fans might like to know that the game sold just 33K units in the U.S. during November, according to NPD Group.

Valkyria Chronicles released on November 4 in the U.S. The title first shipped in Japan in late April, where it performed much better, shifting 77K units in its first week.

Little bigPlanet:

Well, LBP moved 141,000 units in the United States during November 2008, according to figures provided to Gamasutra by the NPD Group. The title had debuted eighth in the October console software sales charts with 215,000 units sold.

thoughts?

Yeah, several of the MS-bought JRPGs were largely ignored by Japanese gamers.

And they didn't help 360 sales in Japan much vs PS3.

And MS actually paid big money to get those exclusives, unlike Sony with Valkyria.

And Valkyria is actually a great game that will have good legs.

Was VC really expected to sell that much?

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

Apart from the fact that comparing srpg sales to jrpg sales is pretty much pointless i start to be afraid about future of those games on HD consoles.

Becouse if multiple releases can't get their costs back it might mean developers going to Wii, PSP and DS where costs are much lower.

And then we will be left with nothing to argue about beetween x360 and ps3.

Still i guess WKC and SO4 will be important sales potential test.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

Loud_Hot_White_Box said:
~flame said:

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=21509

http://www.edge-online.com/news/valkyria-largely-ignored-us-gamers

Valkyria Largely Ignored by U.S. Gamers

Nevertheless, pockets of gamers admired the stylish PS3 exclusive for its unique look and interesting mix of real-time and turn-based tactics. Those fans might like to know that the game sold just 33K units in the U.S. during November, according to NPD Group.

Valkyria Chronicles released on November 4 in the U.S. The title first shipped in Japan in late April, where it performed much better, shifting 77K units in its first week.

Little bigPlanet:

Well, LBP moved 141,000 units in the United States during November 2008, according to figures provided to Gamasutra by the NPD Group. The title had debuted eighth in the October console software sales charts with 215,000 units sold.

thoughts?

Yeah, several of the MS-bought JRPGs were largely ignored by Japanese gamers.

And MS actually paid big money to get those exclusives, unlike Sony with Valkyria.

Who cares if MS bought them or not you have no PROOF they did just assumptions i really don't give a crap if MS paid them to get those games, Keep throwing those Miilions MS i'm enjoying those JRPG on my 360, you seem butt hurt MS(assuming) there paying big money for those games.

Playing Assassin's Creed and Resident evil 5 <3

I dont want to be fanboy anymore...Why? it takes to much work but i will call on ppl on there B.S!!!:)

Around the Network
~flame said:

Who cares if MS bought them or not you have no PROOF they did just assumptions i really don't give a crap if MS paid them to get those games, Keep throwing those Miilions MS i'm enjoying those JRPG on my 360, you seem butt hurt MS(assuming) there paying big money for those games.

Obviously there is no proof, as no one tells us this.  But looking at Japanese sales from both systems, if you were a developer who was developing a JP centric game, would you release it on the PS3 or 360, purely based off of how much it could sell? 

But I do agree that the JRPGs on the 360 are very fun to play.  I liked Lost Odyssey, and played a little ToV and liked it too.

I never understood why or even how they could put SRPG on HD consoles.
SRPG are a niche genre of JRPG, which, like JRPG, are not based on graphics to sell.
The Wii is the sole console that can support these games, I'm now sure of it after seeing that FE sold more than all the others. The HD costs will just kill these games.
I'd rather they go on living on the Wii than being completely killed.
I had hopes for Valkyria on PS3, but with sales like these, it's the end.
I just don't see how devs can justify anymore SRPG on HD consoles.
Man, FE even sold more than the Gamecube one.

It's sad that VC sold so poorly. Really sad.

I hate it that a big part of it is because of the graphics. Sure SRPGs are niche, but Fire Emblem sold 400k in the US.

And to be clear: I think this would have bombed on the 360 as well. It's just sad that realistic graphics are so much prefered by much of the HD userbase.

BengaBenga said:
It's sad that VC sold so poorly. Really sad.

I hate it that a big part of it is because of the graphics. Sure SRPGs are niche, but Fire Emblem sold 400k in the US.

And to be clear: I think this would have bombed on the 360 as well. It's just sad that realistic graphics are so much prefered by much of the HD userbase.

LOL! Best post I've ever seen from this thread!

Aj_habfan said:
Kasz216 said:
DMeisterJ said:

Stickball is going to get pwned when FFXIII sells better on the PS3. Then we can put the nail in the coffin of the "PS3 can't sell JRPGs" argument. lol.

Anyhoo, LBP does 1 mil in 5 weeks. Hardly horrible. Mirror's Edge/Dead space haven't even came close to that, and that's on double the consoles. It could have easily ended up like that.

Oh, and do you all forget Uncharted? 

My goodness.

Define what kind of numbers you expect FFXIII to pull.  If it doesn't pull like 3 million in Japan alone it's going to be a huge disapointment.

Of course this is why it should sell more on the PS3 as well.  Becauase FF13 should be expected to sell AT LEAST 3 million in Japan.

If it doesn't pull near 8 million across both platforms with 3 million in japan it'd probably support the "these consoles don't sell JRPGs arguement'

As ridiculious as something like 7 million sales sounding inadequate are. 

I mean... it should go something like this

Japan 3-3.5 Million

USA - 2.5-3.5 million

Others 2-3 Million

With PS3 getting all that 3-3.5 million... the 360 would need to take nearly all Europe and US Sales... or expand the Final Fantasy base.

So i'm guessing stickball is betting on FF13's japanese sales to be much lower... more in the 2 million range.  Which would prove disasterous.

PS3 will have only have 3.5m consoles sold when it is released. No way it will pull that kind of attach ratio.

Yeah, i imagine that's what Mr. Stickball is counting on.  Who knows.  It might push some serious sytems though.  I mean Final Fantasy fans have paid some crazy loot for nonsensicle stuff before.

I mean i think that one "Potion" Drink was ridiculiously expensive.