By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - LittleBigPlanet=141k & Valkyria Chronicles = 33k

@Aiemond: DQ is a serious gain for Nintendo, but the vast majority of traditional RPG that i like are currently on the 360, which is why I'll probably get it soon once SO4 comes out. I have no love for the DQ series so unless more amazing titles are announced / released, I have no interest in the wii.

Around the Network
mibuokami said:
@Aiemond: DQ is a serious gain for Nintendo, but the vast majority of traditional RPG that i like are currently on the 360, which is why I'll probably get it soon once SO4 comes out. I have no love for the DQ series so unless more amazing titles are announced / released, I have no interest in the wii.

Yes, but look at sales of most of thos games, and also the fact that most of the niche jrpgs follow dq. This is why the console is going to become the rpg console. Remember: dq > ff in japan, and those jrpgs we all love will follow :)

And I got a 360 as well for the rpgs, I have Lost Odyssey and am going to get some more after I finish it. But, I still need to get my brick to get it going.

Now Playing: The Witcher (PC)

Consoles Owned: NES, SNES, N64, PS1, PS2, Wii, Xbox 360, Game Boy, DS

Soriku said:
Aiemond said:
mibuokami said:
--OkeyDokey-- said:
mrstickball said:
Soriku said:
mrstickball said:
Torillian - Because everything else got a massive boost far exceeding LBP?

I mean, LBP could, and should get a boost come December. Problem is, that boost may get it to 250-300k for December. That'd put LBP at a very sad total for the EOY, and well under 1m sold through in the US.

That also means that VGC overtracked Valkyria by quite a large sum, and VC sold less than what ToV did in one week in August...For the US.

I guess the Playstation 3 really can't sell JRPGs. Even less so than the X360.

I don't think it's fair to compare a new IP SRPG to the latest entry in the Tales series by Team Symphonia.

Disagaea didn't do any better, and it's a much more well-known SRPG series.

Abyss sold 100,000 total copies in the US on PS2, so it's not like Vesperia had a solid prescident before it thanks to Abyss.

And I have mixed feelings about it being fair: Playstation 3 fans argued the same thing(s) against Blue Dragon (which sold 50,000 in it's debut week according to NPD), Eternal Sonata (which sold about the same), and Lost Odyssey (which sold about 5 times that of VC).

SRPGs are a niche genre, but I thought the PS3 was supposed to move RPGs regardless since....You know? The Playstation 2 had so many? Wasn't that the crux of the JRPG argument? The Playstation 3 had the userbase, since PS2 fans lapped up theh JRPGs, while the Xbox had approximately 0 JRPGs (maybe you can count Sukedi).

But now, we see that VC, Disagaea and ES on PS3 have all bombed just as bad as a few X360 JRPGs...So I guess we're back at square one: Neither the X360 or PS3 can move JRPGs. However, the X360 at least had some better successes with BD, LO and ToV.

I think you should wait until either the PS3 gets a JRPG that's not a year old port or FFXIII outsells the 360 version 3 to 1 before you make such claims :)

QFT. Seriously people, why do you insist on this desperate crusade against the PS3? The PS3 has recieved no blockbuster JRPG this gen yet, the only thing it has gotten are SRPG, late port and Japan only released game that no one has ever heard of.

If WKC perform just as poorly as the above title, then you all have every right to be descend like a pack of jackals, because its a blockbuster release with high anticipation and if it bombs it DOES prove something.

Until then, comments like 'I guess the Playstation 3 really can't sell JRPGs' have no valid legs to stand on.

Yet we have a wii srpg, a good one that sells well. We also see that the wii tales has sold more than the 360 version. Wii is going to be the rpg console this gen after the dq announcement. Where goes dq, goes the rpgs. Look how the ds turned out after the annoucement.

Yeah, well, the Wii can sell JRPGs. And it WILL be the JRPG console. Not sure how many people can deny that now. But I thought this was about PS3 JRPGs vs. 360 JRPGs :P

I think its important to mention because it competes with 360 and ps3 and can take sales and franchises away. 2009 and 2010 will be the year of the rpgs for wii I bet. I can't wait for some new annoucements.

Now Playing: The Witcher (PC)

Consoles Owned: NES, SNES, N64, PS1, PS2, Wii, Xbox 360, Game Boy, DS

Some look very promising, but right now 2 RPG exist on the 360 that I really want (LO and ToV) whole 1 exist on the wii (ToS). And everyone has been saying ToV has better production value and is generally a better game.

If SO4 makes it three then 360 here I come. Same with the wii, I'll get one if they release 3 JRPG i really want... :)

The problem is, there are lots of PS3 supporters that are under the notion that JRPG's would sell much better on their console (due to all the JRPG fans from the PS2 moving up) as opposed to the 360. This has yet to be proven, so when games like Valkyria Chronicles or Eternal Sonata do poorly, it's the reason people like mrstickball come in here and flaunt that fact.

I think things point to the 360 userbase having a bigger JRPG userbase in the west. The PS3 offsets this with their advantage in Japan, so it comes out almost equal (slightly PS3 favored). The Wii should prove to have the most, but that's a different matter.

@mibuokami: Aye, the 360 is definitely a good buy - it has the best current RPG lineup, and there are surely a few more to come. If Nintendo games don't interest you at all (impossible!?) but JRPG's are your thing, I'll bet by the end of 09 you'll be forced to take a bite. The great thing is, with DQX (even if you're not a fan), the future is looking good for the console.

Around the Network
Soriku said:

VC was only really ignored since it's a SRPG... =/ And that HD owners have something against cel shaded games (just look at PoP sales) for some reason.

@Riachu

Which one sodl 1 mil?

I <3 cel shaded games

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

c0rd said:

The problem is, there are lots of PS3 supporters that are under the notion that JRPG's would sell much better on their console (due to all the JRPG fans from the PS2 moving up) as opposed to the 360. This has yet to be proven, so when games like Valkyria Chronicles or Eternal Sonata do poorly, it's the reason people like mrstickball come in here and flaunt that fact.

I think things point to the 360 userbase having a bigger JRPG userbase in the west. The PS3 offsets this with their advantage in Japan, so it comes out almost equal (slightly PS3 favored). The Wii should prove to have the most, but that's a different matter.

@mibuokami: Aye, the 360 is definitely a good buy - it has the best current RPG lineup, and there are surely a few more to come. If Nintendo games don't interest you at all (impossible!?) but JRPG's are your thing, I'll bet by the end of 09 you'll be forced to take a bite. The great thing is, with DQX (even if you're not a fan), the future is looking good for the console.

That would explain why it is so hard to tell which system has more JRPG fans.

Riachu said:
VC was never expected to sell very well anyway so no suprise there. SRPGs are very niche. The last SRPG to sell 1 million copies was release over 10 years ago.

The game was exremly difficult to find launch week. I suspect that 33k units is better then what sega expected for this game.

Soriku said:
ameratsu said:
Soriku said:

VC was only really ignored since it's a SRPG... =/ And that HD owners have something against cel shaded games (just look at PoP sales) for some reason.

@Riachu

Which one sodl 1 mil?

I <3 cel shaded games

Me too. But many people don't :(

Have you played jet grind radio for the dreamcast?

really great cel-shading game probably the best.

Playing Assassin's Creed and Resident evil 5 <3

I dont want to be fanboy anymore...Why? it takes to much work but i will call on ppl on there B.S!!!:)

there's also a remake called jet set radio future for the xbox , if you can find a copy of that gem and find someone with an xbox, trying playing that game pretty revolutionary game back in 2000 and 2002

Playing Assassin's Creed and Resident evil 5 <3

I dont want to be fanboy anymore...Why? it takes to much work but i will call on ppl on there B.S!!!:)