By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - LittleBigPlanet=141k & Valkyria Chronicles = 33k

Why has nobody mentioned LBP being overtracked?

Around the Network

There have been other SRPGs that sold over 1m copies worldwide since FFT. Probably one of the GBA FEs, FE: PoR, FFTA, probably its sequel, probably the FFT remake and finally FFXII:RW. There could be others as well, but no one ever reached the astounding sales numbers of FFT.

Probably? All you have is some titles that you think sold more than a million without any evidence for it?

memory2zack said:
There have been other SRPGs that sold over 1m copies worldwide since FFT. Probably one of the GBA FEs, FE: PoR, FFTA, probably its sequel, probably the FFT remake and finally FFXII:RW. There could be others as well, but no one ever reached the astounding sales numbers of FFT.

Yep.  FFT did an amazing job for being a dumbed down Tactics Ogre.

Torillian said:
Probably? All you have is some titles that you think sold more than a million without any evidence for it?

well FF12 Reverent Wings did for sure.  According to this site anyway.

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
outlawauron said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Riachu said:
VC was never expected to sell very well anyway so no suprise there. SRPGs are very niche. The last SRPG to sell 1 million copies was release over 10 years ago.

Sony fanboys expected it to sell, lol.

No. Everyone expected it to be fantastic (it is) and no one expected it to sell.

Not from the conversations i've been involved in here.

Were you high? Even the most hardcore fan of this series didn't expect this to do well. Only a couple of less informed poeple brought this up and even they were just asking if we think if the game will reach a million LTD (which it won't) and were quickly brought to their senses by solid argument against it.

*SRPG

*Cell Shading

*Release at the prime time of the holiday and face stiff competition from a mammoth release list.

This game simply had no chance.

Wow.
I know SRPG are niche, but I expected better from Valkyria Chronicles on PS3.
My benchmark is Fire Emblem, and Radiant Dawn this generation.
I just plainly didn't expect to see such a good SRPG as VC sell less than FE. But it's a disaster there.
I nearly believed that HD consoles had more hardcore gamers and would buy more of these games.
But now it's clear to me that the Wii is the only console for JRPG to sell on.
They all flop badly on XB360, and the PS3 doesn't seem much better in the west.
I hope WKC does well, but now it's more and more likely it will be a failure.

--OkeyDokey-- said:
mrstickball said:
Soriku said:
mrstickball said:
Torillian - Because everything else got a massive boost far exceeding LBP?

I mean, LBP could, and should get a boost come December. Problem is, that boost may get it to 250-300k for December. That'd put LBP at a very sad total for the EOY, and well under 1m sold through in the US.

That also means that VGC overtracked Valkyria by quite a large sum, and VC sold less than what ToV did in one week in August...For the US.

I guess the Playstation 3 really can't sell JRPGs. Even less so than the X360.

I don't think it's fair to compare a new IP SRPG to the latest entry in the Tales series by Team Symphonia.

Disagaea didn't do any better, and it's a much more well-known SRPG series.

Abyss sold 100,000 total copies in the US on PS2, so it's not like Vesperia had a solid prescident before it thanks to Abyss.

And I have mixed feelings about it being fair: Playstation 3 fans argued the same thing(s) against Blue Dragon (which sold 50,000 in it's debut week according to NPD), Eternal Sonata (which sold about the same), and Lost Odyssey (which sold about 5 times that of VC).

SRPGs are a niche genre, but I thought the PS3 was supposed to move RPGs regardless since....You know? The Playstation 2 had so many? Wasn't that the crux of the JRPG argument? The Playstation 3 had the userbase, since PS2 fans lapped up theh JRPGs, while the Xbox had approximately 0 JRPGs (maybe you can count Sukedi).

But now, we see that VC, Disagaea and ES on PS3 have all bombed just as bad as a few X360 JRPGs...So I guess we're back at square one: Neither the X360 or PS3 can move JRPGs. However, the X360 at least had some better successes with BD, LO and ToV.

I think you should wait until either the PS3 gets a JRPG that's not a year old port or FFXIII outsells the 360 version 3 to 1 before you make such claims :)

QFT. Seriously people, why do you insist on this desperate crusade against the PS3? The PS3 has recieved no blockbuster JRPG this gen yet, the only thing it has gotten are SRPG, late port and Japan only released game that no one has ever heard of.

If WKC perform just as poorly as the above title, then you all have every right to be descend like a pack of jackals, because its a blockbuster release with high anticipation and if it bombs it DOES prove something.

Until then, comments like 'I guess the Playstation 3 really can't sell JRPGs' have no valid legs to stand on.

Torillian said:

Because we don´t have others sales and VGC sales data are not always that accurate, especially with genres like SRPGs.

@Kas: Never played the original Tactics Ogre, but the N64 one (which Matsuno wasn´t involved) wasn´t good. Could be Tactics Ogre is even better than FFT, from all the good things I´ve heard. But all Matsuno games are 10/10, FFT is one of them.

mibuokami said:
--OkeyDokey-- said:
mrstickball said:
Soriku said:
mrstickball said:
Torillian - Because everything else got a massive boost far exceeding LBP?

I mean, LBP could, and should get a boost come December. Problem is, that boost may get it to 250-300k for December. That'd put LBP at a very sad total for the EOY, and well under 1m sold through in the US.

That also means that VGC overtracked Valkyria by quite a large sum, and VC sold less than what ToV did in one week in August...For the US.

I guess the Playstation 3 really can't sell JRPGs. Even less so than the X360.

I don't think it's fair to compare a new IP SRPG to the latest entry in the Tales series by Team Symphonia.

Disagaea didn't do any better, and it's a much more well-known SRPG series.

Abyss sold 100,000 total copies in the US on PS2, so it's not like Vesperia had a solid prescident before it thanks to Abyss.

And I have mixed feelings about it being fair: Playstation 3 fans argued the same thing(s) against Blue Dragon (which sold 50,000 in it's debut week according to NPD), Eternal Sonata (which sold about the same), and Lost Odyssey (which sold about 5 times that of VC).

SRPGs are a niche genre, but I thought the PS3 was supposed to move RPGs regardless since....You know? The Playstation 2 had so many? Wasn't that the crux of the JRPG argument? The Playstation 3 had the userbase, since PS2 fans lapped up theh JRPGs, while the Xbox had approximately 0 JRPGs (maybe you can count Sukedi).

But now, we see that VC, Disagaea and ES on PS3 have all bombed just as bad as a few X360 JRPGs...So I guess we're back at square one: Neither the X360 or PS3 can move JRPGs. However, the X360 at least had some better successes with BD, LO and ToV.

I think you should wait until either the PS3 gets a JRPG that's not a year old port or FFXIII outsells the 360 version 3 to 1 before you make such claims :)

QFT. Seriously people, why do you insist on this desperate crusade against the PS3? The PS3 has recieved no blockbuster JRPG this gen yet, the only thing it has gotten are SRPG, late port and Japan only released game that no one has ever heard of.

If WKC perform just as poorly as the above title, then you all have every right to be descend like a pack of jackals, because its a blockbuster release with high anticipation and if it bombs it DOES prove something.

Until then, comments like 'I guess the Playstation 3 really can't sell JRPGs' have no valid legs to stand on.

Yet we have a wii srpg, a good one that sells well. We also see that the wii tales has sold more than the 360 version. Wii is going to be the rpg console this gen after the dq announcement. Where goes dq, goes the rpgs. Look how the ds turned out after the annoucement.

Now Playing: The Witcher (PC)

Consoles Owned: NES, SNES, N64, PS1, PS2, Wii, Xbox 360, Game Boy, DS