By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - LittleBigPlanet=141k & Valkyria Chronicles = 33k

i can honestly say that i saw 0 ads for VC which i think is a shame. the art direction alone is almost worth the purchase.

LBP is neat, but the lvl creator is crazy intense.

Around the Network
Riachu said:
Ender said:
Riachu said:
Ender said:

I think part of the problem with a game like VC (which I love) is the plot. JRPG's plots are often corny and cringe worthy. Sometimes I just sit there embarrassed that I'm playing a game with these strange looking characters with silly romantic subplots. I guess I have very western tastes, but if you can't win me over, then you have a problem.

I'm playing LBP now, and I think it's absolutely delightful, but on the wrong system customer base wise. Also, the level creator is awesome but too complex.

Anyway, I hope both these games find larger audiences, because they deserve them.

Except that a lot of those JRPG stories are cringe worthy because of the bad voice acting in a lot of them. VC's story is actually suppose to be good. If haven't played Lost Odyssey, then you probably should because the main plot of nothing special but the VA is really good and the game has some really powerful moments.

I agree, the voice acting in VC is good. It was the plot I had difficulties with. Specifically, did anyone actually enjoy the budding romance between Welkin and Alicia? Watching it made me feel silly. BTW, the plot did have cool parts... I liked how the battle was for a peasdo Europe. The gameplay was awesome, but the plot was really awkward and hokey.

I didn't play VC enough but what was wrong with the romance.  Is romance automatically bad in games?

I enjoy romance in movies, but honestly I haven't seen it work in any video game (except for humor).  I think it's hard to take it seriously when the characters look like this:

Ender said:
Riachu said:
Ender said:
Riachu said:
Ender said:

I think part of the problem with a game like VC (which I love) is the plot. JRPG's plots are often corny and cringe worthy. Sometimes I just sit there embarrassed that I'm playing a game with these strange looking characters with silly romantic subplots. I guess I have very western tastes, but if you can't win me over, then you have a problem.

I'm playing LBP now, and I think it's absolutely delightful, but on the wrong system customer base wise. Also, the level creator is awesome but too complex.

Anyway, I hope both these games find larger audiences, because they deserve them.

Except that a lot of those JRPG stories are cringe worthy because of the bad voice acting in a lot of them. VC's story is actually suppose to be good. If haven't played Lost Odyssey, then you probably should because the main plot of nothing special but the VA is really good and the game has some really powerful moments.

I agree, the voice acting in VC is good. It was the plot I had difficulties with. Specifically, did anyone actually enjoy the budding romance between Welkin and Alicia? Watching it made me feel silly. BTW, the plot did have cool parts... I liked how the battle was for a peasdo Europe. The gameplay was awesome, but the plot was really awkward and hokey.

I didn't play VC enough but what was wrong with the romance. Is romance automatically bad in games?

I enjoy romance in movies, but honestly I haven't seen it work in any video game (except for humor). I think it's hard to take it seriously when the characters look like this:

So it's hard to enjoy romance when it's in an anime-styled games?  Please tell me you hate anime because if you like anime yet can't take romance seriously in anime-styled games, then you are the strangest gamer I have ever met(not physically, mind you)

I think it's hard to enjoy romance in any video game. In fact, I think any drama is tough to pull off. For instance, I thought the GeOF2 Santiago wife plot really fell flat. And I'm a guy who enjoys dramatic movies...

As for anime style, I don't hate it, but it's not something I really enjoy and/or seek out.

@Ender - that's funny... just today my friend was talking about how he almost cried at that moment. i don't know what your marital status is, but once someone gets married they become more sensitive... not saying that i'm going to cry in GeoW2...

Around the Network

I'm a happily married man. ;)

Perhaps I'm just jaded or something.

outlawauron said:
Soriku said:

@DMJ

Not really a valid point. There were plenty of RPGs on the GC over the PS2 and they might have put those JRPGs on the 360 to appeal to the West too. It hasn't worked well though, and the bulk of JRPG announcements are going to the Wii (which the Wii can sell) :P

@outlaw

I doubt it. The game only looks good because of the art style. Technically it isn't impressive. I'm positive the Wii can do VCs graphics.

Well, the (very, very) occasional framerate drops tells me other wise. It has only dropped twice in my campaign (37 hours) but for that to happen on the PS3........

@ Benga

Well, it is. Shaky hands would kill your aim in this game, being that you don't get to re-aim after you shoot.

The only framerate drop was due to the grass... fix the grass and your fine.

Framerate drops happen a lot on the PS3, usually due to sloppy programming.

Aside from which... why couldn't aiming be handled the same way it is in the actual game. 

just tie it to the analog stick if you needed.

Ender said:
I think it's hard to enjoy romance in any video game. In fact, I think any drama is tough to pull off. For instance, I thought the GeOF2 Santiago wife plot really fell flat. And I'm a guy who enjoys dramatic movies...

As for anime style, I don't hate it, but it's not something I really enjoy and/or seek out.

I think your dislike has more to do with style rather than execution, almost all story following the 'journey' model contains at least some element of romance, everything from Conan to Gone with the Wind has it, its just human nature and game is no exception.

One of the most touching moment in storeytelling for me is during Planescape: Torment when Fall from Grace promise to find you no matter where you are, it was really poignant and moving.

Valkyria Chronicles' story succeeded in giving me a nice dose of WAFF, I don't think it was anything spectacular but it was very well executed, and I cannot fault the production no matter how much my cynical self scream cliche.

Of course, I was a big Otaku and still love anime to death so I had no problem with the art style. (And in fact loved it)

I don't thin it's just the style, it's the format. Video games have a long way to go in delivering emotionally powerful dramatic experiences. I suspect I'm not in the minority on this.

Kasz216 said:
outlawauron said:
Soriku said:

@DMJ

Not really a valid point. There were plenty of RPGs on the GC over the PS2 and they might have put those JRPGs on the 360 to appeal to the West too. It hasn't worked well though, and the bulk of JRPG announcements are going to the Wii (which the Wii can sell) :P

@outlaw

I doubt it. The game only looks good because of the art style. Technically it isn't impressive. I'm positive the Wii can do VCs graphics.

Well, the (very, very) occasional framerate drops tells me other wise. It has only dropped twice in my campaign (37 hours) but for that to happen on the PS3........

@ Benga

Well, it is. Shaky hands would kill your aim in this game, being that you don't get to re-aim after you shoot.

The only framerate drop was due to the grass... fix the grass and your fine.

Framerate drops happen a lot on the PS3, usually due to sloppy programming.

Aside from which... why couldn't aiming be handled the same way it is in the actual game. 

just tie it to the analog stick if you needed.

Then, what would the benefit of the Wii version?

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.