By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Mario and Sonic Breaks 6 Mil!! (Wii alone)

I wish they had a closer relationship with Nintendo. Or at least work with Nintendo on a Sonic game. It's sad to see how low Sonic has fallen in the last decade or so. Maybe working with Nintendo could rub off on Sega, and then Sonic could be restored to his former glory - a worthy rival to Mario. Ah well, I can dream, right?

Around the Network

No wonder, I still see commercials for this game still on Tv from time to time.

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

I also thought Sega was completely crazy when they said they were looking for 4m sales (Wii + DS) last year. Guess they showed all of us.

Scaries comparison: Mario and Sonic at the Olympics has outsold Grand Theft Auto IV (PS3) by more than a million copies! There's every reason to believe it will end this year with higher sales than either single version of GTA4, 360 or PS3. No one would have believed it...

My Website

End of 2008 totals: Wii 42m, 360 24m, PS3 18.5m (made Jan. 4, 2008)

Sullla said:
I also thought Sega was completely crazy when they said they were looking for 4m sales (Wii + DS) last year. Guess they showed all of us.

Scaries comparison: Mario and Sonic at the Olympics has outsold Grand Theft Auto IV (PS3) by more than a million copies! There's every reason to believe it will end this year with higher sales than either single version of GTA4, 360 or PS3. No one would have believed it...

I don't even think John Lucas would of thought it possible. I remember thinking the orginal 4 million prediction was kind of high, but very possible over a few years time, yet they've already shot far beyond that prediction in a year's time.

Actually adding current numbers from DS and Wii versions, we get about 9.5 mil. More than 2 times Sega predicted.
10 million combined before end of 2008 confirmed?

Around the Network
TheSwordUser said:

Actually adding current numbers from DS and Wii versions, we get about 9.5 mil. More than 2 times Sega predicted.
10 million combined before end of 2008 confirmed?

Seems like a lock. On last weeks worldwide software chart, it did just over 95k on the Wii and just under 50k on the DS, and that was before Black Friday.

this game will continue to sell for a very long time, because this is one of the best party game available. Remember the Wii is always act as a party system in our living. imo the game suck when playing alone but then when you gather a few friend over then it shines for some mindless fun competition.

izaaz101 said:
arsenicazure said:
possible sonic games that could work:

-Sonic pinball

-sonic R.. similar to mario kart.. or maybe they should called it "sega R" and put in the entire fleet of superstars characters!

-puoyo puoyo/baku baku sonic edition( ok not a real sonic game but good franchising)

-sonic 2D title
-sonic 2D title with 3d elements(360,ps3)- kinda on the line of unleashed day zones but much much larger

SEGA has really let me down in a lot of ways since the DC. all the good crop of current sega games seem ps3 bound (yakuza3, valkyria)..damn need to get a ps3

This game did not work IMO.

And they already made a Sonic pinball game.  Sonic Spinball on the Genesis.  It's on the VC now.  It's awesome.  It was one of my favorite Genesis games back in the day.

Sonic Riders is a pile of crap, but not as bad as the Sonic tournament fighter.  I forget what it's called, but it's on one of my Sonic Collection discs and is absolutely horrible.

I am guessing that the 6 mil barrier caught a few of you off guard judging by the number responses.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

The Ghost of RubangB said:
izaaz101 said:
arsenicazure said:
possible sonic games that could work:

-Sonic pinball

-sonic R.. similar to mario kart.. or maybe they should called it "sega R" and put in the entire fleet of superstars characters!

-puoyo puoyo/baku baku sonic edition( ok not a real sonic game but good franchising)

-sonic 2D title
-sonic 2D title with 3d elements(360,ps3)- kinda on the line of unleashed day zones but much much larger

SEGA has really let me down in a lot of ways since the DC. all the good crop of current sega games seem ps3 bound (yakuza3, valkyria)..damn need to get a ps3

This game did not work IMO.

And they already made a Sonic pinball game.  Sonic Spinball on the Genesis.  It's on the VC now.  It's awesome.  It was one of my favorite Genesis games back in the day.

Sonic Riders is a pile of crap, but not as bad as the Sonic tournament fighter.  I forget what it's called, but it's on one of my Sonic Collection discs and is absolutely horrible.

Sonic the Fighters, I think

Sonic R was for one of the old Sega systems already XP

"After you win, son, I feel like going for a ride on your bike, haha." ~Doc Louis (Punch Out Wii)