By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Mario and Sonic Breaks 6 Mil!! (Wii alone)

DaveD said:
Zucas said:
DaveD said:
Wait what, .02 mil more to pass Sonic 2 and be the best selling Sonic game ever? o_o;

Not only that but best selling Sega game ever.

Makes it even more sad, this game is a poorly done collection of minigames, and it's the best selling Sega game ever almost... v_v

Well from what I've played its not poor.  I'd say it deserved it's 6s and 7s in reviews because it was an average title.  But it surely isn't the best.  So may not be the best title Sega ever created but certainly wasn't terrible.

Around the Network
izaaz101 said:
You're telling me..........I thought Sega was crazy when they said 4 million combined. I thought that they'd get maybe 3, if they were lucky. Now they've gone and more than doubled that.

I smell a Mario and Sonic at the Winter Games.........

Yeah... i didnt think either. 

I still need to get it.

Zucas said:

Well from what I've played its not poor.  I'd say it deserved it's 6s and 7s in reviews because it was an average title. 

6/7's is poor if its the best selling game of a very well known company

"After you win, son, I feel like going for a ride on your bike, haha." ~Doc Louis (Punch Out Wii)

Who would of thought.

Nintendo still doomed?
Feel free to add me on 3DS or Switch! (PM me if you do ^-^)
Nintendo ID: Mako91                  3DS code: 4167-4543-6089

Zucas said:
Pristine20 said:
Mario in the title...'nuff said

Although probably true, I'd say it be quite primitive to think that's the only reason.  I'd say for one Sonic's name in there has to do a lot with it.  And even more so the combo of the two being in the same name.  I mean 15 years ago this seemed like the largest impossibility EVER.  That probably garnered a lot of old school gamer buys.  So its both names that helped sell this game along with them just being in the same game and title.

Not only that its a sports compilation which if ya look around have been doing pretty damn well since Wii Sports.  Tie that in with a not so bad title that keeps the hype mill going along with a well place timing to correspond for the Olympics and pretty dman good marketing and Sega deserves everything they get.  And Nintendo of course.  I mean this is just sales perfection if you asked me.  Whoever came up with the idea and business plan for this title and the DS version is a genius.  Not only take two of the biggest names ever in gaming, but ones that were enemies, and have them face off in a game.  Then not only make it into one of the most popular genres on Wii and market it as such but give it a Super Smash Bros type marketing is genius.  Business model people need to learn from in any form of marketing.

I think Mario in the title weighs much more than your complex analysis. The only game with mario in the title that hasn't sold a mil is mario super sluggers but it hasn't been released in EU yet and hasn't had much marketing. This game made muti mil because it was basically a new SMG i.e another full-fledged traditional mario game (with sonic thrown in for kicks) so I would say that mario is responsible for at least 80% of it's sales.

I mean, my little brother asks my mom to buy him any title that has mario in it. I'd hardly consider him unique.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Around the Network
Pristine20 said:
Zucas said:
Pristine20 said:

Although probably true, I'd say it be quite primitive to think that's the only reason.  I'd say for one Sonic's name in there has to do a lot with it.  And even more so the combo of the two being in the same name.  I mean 15 years ago this seemed like the largest impossibility EVER.  That probably garnered a lot of old school gamer buys.  So its both names that helped sell this game along with them just being in the same game and title.

Not only that its a sports compilation which if ya look around have been doing pretty damn well since Wii Sports.  Tie that in with a not so bad title that keeps the hype mill going along with a well place timing to correspond for the Olympics and pretty dman good marketing and Sega deserves everything they get.  And Nintendo of course.  I mean this is just sales perfection if you asked me.  Whoever came up with the idea and business plan for this title and the DS version is a genius.  Not only take two of the biggest names ever in gaming, but ones that were enemies, and have them face off in a game.  Then not only make it into one of the most popular genres on Wii and market it as such but give it a Super Smash Bros type marketing is genius.  Business model people need to learn from in any form of marketing.

I think Mario in the title weighs much more than your complex analysis. The only game with mario in the title that hasn't sold a mil is mario super sluggers but it hasn't been released in EU yet and hasn't had much marketing. This game made muti mil because it was basically a new SMG i.e another full-fledged traditional mario game (with sonic thrown in for kicks) so I would say that mario is responsible for at least 80% of it's sales.

I mean, my little brother asks my mom to buy him any title that has mario in it. I'd hardly consider him unique.

Oh?

Zucas said:
DaveD said:
Wait what, .02 mil more to pass Sonic 2 and be the best selling Sonic game ever? o_o;

Not only that but best selling Sega game ever.

I wish I could go back to 1994 and tell my Sega-loving nemeses of the time that in the future Sega will stop making consoles and their best selling game of all time will star Mario.

I never doubted this game.  When I first read the press release, a lonely tear drop formed in my eye.  To see the 2 most famous video game characters of the 1990's (and possibly all time), put their famous rivalry aside to go head to head in a game about the Olympics (where real-life political enemies put aside their differences and go head to head) was a beautiful thing.  It's bigger than Freddy vs. Jason, Alien vs. Predator, and any Batman vs. Superman or Wolverine vs. Spiderman crap ever, COMBINED.

All the game had to do to sell this well was not horribly suck ass, and it didn't.  It may not be GOTY or AAA material, but it's damn good at what it is.

Kasz216 said:
Pristine20 said:
Zucas said:
Pristine20 said:

Oh?

Hotel Mario, Mario Teaches Typing 2 are other examples XP (Why a sequal, the world will never know)

"After you win, son, I feel like going for a ride on your bike, haha." ~Doc Louis (Punch Out Wii)

Kasz216 said:
izaaz101 said:
You're telling me..........I thought Sega was crazy when they said 4 million combined. I thought that they'd get maybe 3, if they were lucky. Now they've gone and more than doubled that.

I still need to get it.

It's fun with 2 or more people (one night there was 8 of us), but boring alone.........unless you try to beat the world record scoreboard type thing (which I'm not really into).

izaaz101 said:
Kasz216 said:
izaaz101 said:

I still need to get it.

It's fun with 2 or more people (one night there was 8 of us), but boring alone.........unless you try to beat the world record scoreboard type thing (which I'm not really into).

I've got a lot of freinds and girlfriends who like to game so it's not really much a problem.