By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Mario and Sonic Breaks 6 Mil!! (Wii alone)

DaveD said:
Kasz216 said:
Pristine20 said:
Zucas said:
Pristine20 said:
Mario in the title...'nuff said

Although probably true, I'd say it be quite primitive to think that's the only reason.  I'd say for one Sonic's name in there has to do a lot with it.  And even more so the combo of the two being in the same name.  I mean 15 years ago this seemed like the largest impossibility EVER.  That probably garnered a lot of old school gamer buys.  So its both names that helped sell this game along with them just being in the same game and title.

Not only that its a sports compilation which if ya look around have been doing pretty damn well since Wii Sports.  Tie that in with a not so bad title that keeps the hype mill going along with a well place timing to correspond for the Olympics and pretty dman good marketing and Sega deserves everything they get.  And Nintendo of course.  I mean this is just sales perfection if you asked me.  Whoever came up with the idea and business plan for this title and the DS version is a genius.  Not only take two of the biggest names ever in gaming, but ones that were enemies, and have them face off in a game.  Then not only make it into one of the most popular genres on Wii and market it as such but give it a Super Smash Bros type marketing is genius.  Business model people need to learn from in any form of marketing.

I think Mario in the title weighs much more than your complex analysis. The only game with mario in the title that hasn't sold a mil is mario super sluggers but it hasn't been released in EU yet and hasn't had much marketing. This game made muti mil because it was basically a new SMG i.e another full-fledged traditional mario game (with sonic thrown in for kicks) so I would say that mario is responsible for at least 80% of it's sales.

I mean, my little brother asks my mom to buy him any title that has mario in it. I'd hardly consider him unique.

Oh?

Hotel Mario, Mario Teaches Typing 2 are other examples XP (Why a sequal, the world will never know)

Also probably Mario Tennis on the Virtual Boy... did a million virtual boys even sell?!

Around the Network

Mario Teaches Typing is so badass. Those bonus levels really helped me get up to my 100+ GWAM superskillz I got going on these days.

I don't know if Mario is Missing or Mario's Time Machine broke a million either. I doubt it.

Pristine20 said:
Zucas said:
Pristine20 said:

Although probably true, I'd say it be quite primitive to think that's the only reason. I'd say for one Sonic's name in there has to do a lot with it. And even more so the combo of the two being in the same name. I mean 15 years ago this seemed like the largest impossibility EVER. That probably garnered a lot of old school gamer buys. So its both names that helped sell this game along with them just being in the same game and title.

Not only that its a sports compilation which if ya look around have been doing pretty damn well since Wii Sports. Tie that in with a not so bad title that keeps the hype mill going along with a well place timing to correspond for the Olympics and pretty dman good marketing and Sega deserves everything they get. And Nintendo of course. I mean this is just sales perfection if you asked me. Whoever came up with the idea and business plan for this title and the DS version is a genius. Not only take two of the biggest names ever in gaming, but ones that were enemies, and have them face off in a game. Then not only make it into one of the most popular genres on Wii and market it as such but give it a Super Smash Bros type marketing is genius. Business model people need to learn from in any form of marketing.

I think Mario in the title weighs much more than your complex analysis. The only game with mario in the title that hasn't sold a mil is mario super sluggers but it hasn't been released in EU yet and hasn't had much marketing. This game made muti mil because it was basically a new SMG i.e another full-fledged traditional mario game (with sonic thrown in for kicks) so I would say that mario is responsible for at least 80% of it's sales.

I mean, my little brother asks my mom to buy him any title that has mario in it. I'd hardly consider him unique.

Yes so my analysis, with very sound reasoning and very good points is second to you saying virtually nothing.  Yea I'll certainly buy that.

Pristine20 said:
Zucas said:
Pristine20 said:

Although probably true, I'd say it be quite primitive to think that's the only reason.  I'd say for one Sonic's name in there has to do a lot with it.  And even more so the combo of the two being in the same name.  I mean 15 years ago this seemed like the largest impossibility EVER.  That probably garnered a lot of old school gamer buys.  So its both names that helped sell this game along with them just being in the same game and title.

Not only that its a sports compilation which if ya look around have been doing pretty damn well since Wii Sports.  Tie that in with a not so bad title that keeps the hype mill going along with a well place timing to correspond for the Olympics and pretty dman good marketing and Sega deserves everything they get.  And Nintendo of course.  I mean this is just sales perfection if you asked me.  Whoever came up with the idea and business plan for this title and the DS version is a genius.  Not only take two of the biggest names ever in gaming, but ones that were enemies, and have them face off in a game.  Then not only make it into one of the most popular genres on Wii and market it as such but give it a Super Smash Bros type marketing is genius.  Business model people need to learn from in any form of marketing.

What parameters are you using to classify this game as a "traditional game"?

And some people laugh when sega said that this game was going to break 4 millions with both Wii & DS..... HAHAHAHA look who's laughing now >_>

Around the Network
Zucas said:
DaveD said:
Wait what, .02 mil more to pass Sonic 2 and be the best selling Sonic game ever? o_o;

Not only that but best selling Sega game ever.

How ironic that the best selling sega game would be due to Mario  :p

I laughed when they predicted it would sell 4 million. They sure shut me up.

PSN- williwod

Remember, there are no stupid questions. Just stupid people- Mr Garrison

Wow, there is a chance it could catch Halo 3 if this keeps up for another year.

bigjon said:

With the 50k from others sales.

This game has to be the biggest suprise ever. I cannot think of a game that was expected to phail so hard, but did not.

If you're looking at the ratio of expected sales:actual sales, then Wii Sports has M&S beat. Remember before its release analysts predicted 15 million maximum for the Wii itself

FishyJoe said:
Wow, there is a chance it could catch Halo 3 if this keeps up for another year.

There's a chance it could catch Call of Duty 4 if we include both versions, which may be considerably scarier.