By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Post your random facts

iclim4 said:
leo-j said:
I think it is impossible to lick your elbow
 Ahaha! i bet you tried it!!!

no duhh, ofcourse I tried it but when I was smaller or just last year when I was a freshman I think I did lick my elbow..

mM
Around the Network

Oh, just because you can't match my utter genius doesn't mean your facts have to be stupid :0

1/8 of all males in lands conquered by Genghis Khan (and his direct successors - Ogedai, Kublai and others - not including Timur the Lame and Babar who are indirect descendants) bear the same chromosome mutation traced back to a period almost exactly 800 years ago - when Genghis had sex with hundreds/thousands of women, and his descednants did the following.

Estimates are that he has 20,000,000 or so direct male descendants, including women, this number is likely close to 40,000,000 people.  When the study was conducted the Earth had just passed an estimated population of 6,000,000,000.

That means 0.66% of the world is descended of Genghis Khan - a man who died less than 800 years ago.

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

Interesting, I have some ancestors from Kiev and Mongolian blood too...

Hmmm....

Yukon Territory is not a province, and Nunavit has fewer people if we count territories.

Thus, the next fact: Most Americans know next to nothing about their irrelevant neighbour to the north.

New Brunswick is the only province that is entirely bilingual.

There were/are anti English violence acts in Quebec.

In 2003, The Canadian government spent 2,120 per person on Health care. The American government, 2,724. Yet Canada is somehow mocked for it's socialized medicine, despite a government spending less than a "Capitalist" one and getting much much more from it.

The legal drinking age in Canada is 18 in Quebec and Alberta, and 19 everywhere else.

Approx. 1/3 of the entire world's oil reserves are in Alberta and Saskatchewan.

See Ya George.

"He did not die - He passed Away"

At least following a comedians own jokes makes his death easier.

Around the Network
Andir said:
Game_boy said:
Water is very, very slightly blue under balanced light conditions actually.

I'm still sticking to my post, but only because things don't have color.  They absorb light and reflect light.  The bands of light reflected give it it's color.  Water just happens to reflect blue light.

Actually, everthing you see is EVERY color EXCEPT the one you see... those colors are all absorbed and the one missing is reflected. @fuzzmosis, watch that about oil... dumbass isn't out of office yet, he may want to go look for WMDs there! FACT: You have never come into contact with anything, EVER... what you feel is the magnetic push from the electrons in whatever.

SamuelRSmith said:
Oceania is a conteninant, that's where Australia and New Zealand are 'stored'.

Also, I'm from the UK... but, err... who the hell is Chuck Norris (all I know is he looks kind of funny (Family Guy)).

I always learned the 7 continent model, North America, South America, Europe, Asia, Africa, Australia, Antarctica.

I've never heard of Ociania as a continent, only as a group of Islands.

Who's Chuck Norris? Only the freakin baddest human being to ever walk the planet! 

Chuck Norris starred in a show called Walker, Texas Ranger back in the 90s. Here's a description of the show:

The action/drama "Walker, Texas Ranger," which stars Chuck Norris as modern-day Texas Ranger, Cordell Walker, airs on the USA Network as well as on weekends in syndication. Walker's independent crime-solving methods have their roots in the rugged traditions of the Old West.

Walker's closest friend is former Texas Ranger, C.D. Parker (Noble Willingham), who begrudgingly retired after a disabling knee injury. C.D. continues to help Walker by occasionally offering advice on difficult cases. Parker owns "C.D.'s," a saloon/restaurant that specializes in country music and Western dancing.

Also assisting Walker is rookie Ranger, James "Jimmy" Trivette (Clarence Gilyard). Originally from Baltimore, Maryland, Trivette is an ex-football player who represents the new breed of philosophical law-enforcement officers. Consequently, he bases his crime-solving methods on reason and uses modern-day tools, such as computers and cellular phones. Alex Cahill (Sheree J. Wilson) is the county Assistant District Attorney who shares a mutual attraction with Walker, but often disagrees with his unorthodox approach to law enforcement.

He played a badass Texas cop who's favorite method of beating up the bad guys was a roundhouse kick or a good punch. It was a very cheesy show, and the Chuck Norris facts were put together as a sort of tonge-in-cheek joke about Chuck Norris.

He is actually a badass though:

After graduating from high school, Norris joined the Air Force and held the rank of Airman First Class. He was first introduced to the Asian martial art of Tang Soo Do during a stint in Korea. "These studies changed my entire outlook on life," Norris recalls. He became the first professional world middleweight karate champion, a title he held onto until he retired, undefeated, in 1974. In 1969, he earned the Triple Crown for the highest number of tournament wins and was named Black Belt Magazine's "Fighter of the Year."

Anyways, it's an American thing, just wanted to give a background to all the non-US people who didn't know who the crap we're talking about.

Timmah! said:

I always learned the 7 continent model, North America, South America, Europe, Asia, Africa, Australia, Antarctica.

Australia is a country not a continent. LOL. The continent NOW known as Ociania, used to be known as Australiasia.

Just to clarify Water is blue.

The theory of Evolution is the complete opposite of chance. FACT! 

tombi123 said:
Timmah! said:

Australia is a country not a continent. LOL. The continent NOW known as Ociania, used to be known as Australiasia.

Just to clarify Water is blue.

The theory of Evolution is the complete opposite of chance. FACT! 

The map I posted above is taken directly from Wikipedia. It's still called the CONTINENT of Australia here in the US. last I checked, Oceania referred to the land systems that include New Zeland, Australia, and the outlying islands. Where are you from? Maybe they refer to it differently there

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oceania

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australia_%28continent%29

Fuzzmosis said:
Yukon Territory is not a province, and Nunavit has fewer people if we count territories.

Thus, the next fact: Most Americans know next to nothing about their irrelevant neighbour to the north.

New Brunswick is the only province that is entirely bilingual.

There were/are anti English violence acts in Quebec.

In 2003, The Canadian government spent 2,120 per person on Health care. The American government, 2,724. Yet Canada is somehow mocked for it's socialized medicine, despite a government spending less than a "Capitalist" one and getting much much more from it.

The legal drinking age in Canada is 18 in Quebec and Alberta, and 19 everywhere else.

Approx. 1/3 of the entire world's oil reserves are in Alberta and Saskatchewan.

We don't have to know, your population is a little more than a tenth of ours.

California's population will be more than all of Spain in about 10-15 years.

Hong Kong has a higher population than Israel.

The only country in Africa not in the African Union is Morocco.

Were the African Union its own country, it would be the world's largest country by approximately 12 million square kilometers. 

Even if the African Union were its own country, it would still have only the 3rd largest population of any country in the world.

Virginia has said to have the best business climate of any state in the U.S., whereas the worst is North Dakota.

The 3 slowest growing states in the U.S. are North Dakota, West Virginia, and Ohio.

Washington state is the only state with a female governor and 2 female senators.

The most populous county in Montana is Yellowstone, the least is Petroleum. Montana has 56 counties.

The city with the highest population in the Western Hemisphere is Sao Paulo, followed by Mexico City and then New York City.