By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - OTHERS NUMBERS IN : huge hurting on ps3

GT4P sold less than a million copies, so now GT4 isnt going to pass 4 million= your logic.

mM
Around the Network

It's too late for a Sony comeback now. Being beaten by at least 200,000 units by all the other consoles is a very bad sign for them. No one likes Sony or their games anymore.

Heavens to Murgatoids.

atma998 said:
Bboid said:
dejelek said:
Bboid said:
dejelek said:
the funny thing is can GT5 software sales because of its absence match or exceeding combined sales of for exampe:

GRID + DIRT2 + etc

i am not talking about Forza2 + PGR3 + PGR4 sales

and maybe becuase it is too late GT5 sales not even in Forza2 Category
PS3 user are unpredictable, look at LBP , R2 and socomm.

It is still possible to outsell them all including Forza 2 (2.3mil unbundled sales).  GT5:P has virtually the same sales as Forza 2 unbundled sales and I think it is safe to assume most GT5:P buyers will buy GT5 + those who did not want to waste $40 on a glorified demo.

that what i'm trying to say

if GT5 is so awesome, why GT5P sales is not skyrocketing, it is just = 2mil,

they already waiting for more than 3 years for GT5 and when sony release GT5P, it only sell 2 mil it is something wrong with ps3 user.

also your number is wrong,  if we said sales i meant included bundles

Forza2 already > 4mil.

PS3 user said, GT5P is so awesome that we only bought 2mil of it 

i think it is some indication, that GT5 sales of course will have good sales, not as good as predicted

or even if it is good, it won't move hardware, just like MGS4.

I think your aren't looking into this far enough to fully understand things.  Your argument is that an expanded demo of a game is not selling X number so the full version won't sell that much.  It couldn't be futher from the truth.  A large number of people will not buy GT5:P because it is in fact overpriced for the amount of game there (i am included, i borrowed it from a relative).  GT5:P sales are not skyrocketing because the product does not have a high cost:benefit ratio to the majority of buyers.

Secondly: you must look at GT franchise history.  You will notice GT:4 had a prologue before release and it only sold 1.31mil units and GT4 full version sold 9.52 million (data from VGChartz)

Thirdly:  My numbrs are not wrong, it is just a different interpretation.  I do not always find it fair to include bundle numbers in software sales numbers.  It is misleading.  If there is sufficient data to show sales numbers minus bundles it should be used.  The majority of people with Forza got it with their system last holiday season and probably never played it.  If you are going to rave over a game including bundled sales your next post will be something like : "OMG KUNG FU PANDA 360 STOMPS PS3, AMAZING MILLION SELLER". 

Fourth:  MGS4 did not move hardware?  Hmm, that is confusing.  It did sell hardware, just not what you were expecting?

MGS4 sold about 160k more PS3 than the average sales in a one week boost. Nothing spectacular.

On MGS4's release week, the PS3 outsold the Wii.

PS3: 335,964, up from 150,972 the previous week (+184,992)

Wii: 332,997, down from 363,526 the previous week.

X360: 118,463, down from 124,888 the previous week.

I say that's a pretty massive boost.

Now, let's look at sales from earlier games in the series, shall we?

MGS: 5.59 million

MGS2: 5.58 million

MGS3: 4.01 million, sold 721 last week.

Very good sales, no doubt, but look at this:

Gran Turismo: 10.85 million, best selling PS1 exclusive.

GT2: 9.37 million

GT3: 14.87 million, best selling PS2 exclusive.

GT4: 9.52 million, sold 2,863 last week.

Gran Turismo will have a much larger boost than MGS4. We are talking Halo-sized here. Maybe bigger.

And yes, GT5P has outsold GT4P. Aha, you say, but GT4P wasn't released in America. Yes, but Japan and Others sales for GT5P, NOT COUNTING PSN sales, have exceeded GT4P. This may be partly because there was already a GT on the PS2, but I think the fact that GT5P is still selling, having crossed the 2 million, perhaps even 3 million mark, is pretty impressive, considering it is a demo.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Bboid said:
dejelek said:
Bboid said:
dejelek said:
the funny thing is can GT5 software sales because of its absence match or exceeding combined sales of for exampe:

GRID + DIRT2 + etc

i am not talking about Forza2 + PGR3 + PGR4 sales

and maybe becuase it is too late GT5 sales not even in Forza2 Category
PS3 user are unpredictable, look at LBP , R2 and socomm.

It is still possible to outsell them all including Forza 2 (2.3mil unbundled sales).  GT5:P has virtually the same sales as Forza 2 unbundled sales and I think it is safe to assume most GT5:P buyers will buy GT5 + those who did not want to waste $40 on a glorified demo.

that what i'm trying to say

if GT5 is so awesome, why GT5P sales is not skyrocketing, it is just = 2mil,

they already waiting for more than 3 years for GT5 and when sony release GT5P, it only sell 2 mil it is something wrong with ps3 user.

also your number is wrong,  if we said sales i meant included bundles

Forza2 already > 4mil.

PS3 user said, GT5P is so awesome that we only bought 2mil of it 

i think it is some indication, that GT5 sales of course will have good sales, not as good as predicted

or even if it is good, it won't move hardware, just like MGS4.

I think your aren't looking into this far enough to fully understand things.  Your argument is that an expanded demo of a game is not selling X number so the full version won't sell that much.  It couldn't be futher from the truth.  A large number of people will not buy GT5:P because it is in fact overpriced for the amount of game there (i am included, i borrowed it from a relative).  GT5:P sales are not skyrocketing because the product does not have a high cost:benefit ratio to the majority of buyers.

Secondly: you must look at GT franchise history.  You will notice GT:4 had a prologue before release and it only sold 1.31mil units and GT4 full version sold 9.52 million (data from VGChartz)

Thirdly:  My numbrs are not wrong, it is just a different interpretation.  I do not always find it fair to include bundle numbers in software sales numbers.  It is misleading.  If there is sufficient data to show sales numbers minus bundles it should be used.  The majority of people with Forza got it with their system last holiday season and probably never played it.  If you are going to rave over a game including bundled sales your next post will be something like : "OMG KUNG FU PANDA 360 STOMPS PS3, AMAZING MILLION SELLER". 

Fourth:  MGS4 did not move hardware?  Hmm, that is confusing.  It did sell hardware, just not what you were expecting?

Do you seriously believe this bit "The majority of people with Forza got it with their system last holiday season and probably never played it."?

I have bought systems before with bundled games, never have I just abandoned a game without playing it much.

"If you've got them by the balls their hearts and minds will follow."

Quote by- The Imortal John Wayne, the original BADASS!

wow, Most of forza sales, are not from bundled,

ok simple math
just add all sales from racing games on xbox 360 whether multiplat or exclusive, also do the same thing on ps3, the differences will be huge.

if recent PS3 exclusive sales is any indication, then maybe KZ2, or GT5 will be not that huge either. it will have good sales, but won't have sales like it hype to be.

the problem, PS3 demographic is not the same as PS2 demographic before, look at Motorsotrm, do you believe a good game like that have sales sooooo bad, do you thing PS3 user if came from PS2, need some racing games,

same thing happen to JRPG, PS3 have many RPG lately, even if it is a port, even at Japan the sales is terrible.

so what they want.

Around the Network
dejelek said:

ok simple math
just add all sales from racing games on xbox 360 whether multiplat or exclusive, also do the same thing on ps3, the differences will be huge.

if recent PS3 exclusive sales is any indication, then maybe KZ2, or GT5 will be not that huge either. it will have good sales, but won't have sales like it hype to be.

Why should recent PS3 exclusive sales be any indication? There's a new, 2D IP; a niche SJRPG; and a very good shooter which sold a lot better than its predecessor. Which we do not have Others data for yet.

Not to mention the install base will be much higher after the holiday season is over.

As you can see from my previous post, the Gran Turismo games on PS1 and PS2 both sold exceptionally well, and the Prologue has sold extremely well too. GTA4 can only fairly be compared to GTA3, because they have been released at the same point in the console cycle. GTA3 and GTA4 have near identical sales, looking at both platforms, so that shows that having a smaller install base does not necessarily mean that sales will be greatly affected.

GTA4 (PS3) has crossed 4 million

MGS4 will cross 4 million

CoD4 (PS3) will cross 4 million

Resistance 2 will likely cross 4 million

GT5 will not be alone in very good sales, although it will sell far higher than any of these. Only GTA exceeded GT's sales last gen, and due to the current gen release, GTA IV, being same-day released on PS3 and 360, sold far less than it could have on PS3, had it been timed exclusive like in the past.

Conclusion: GT5 will be huge. >8 million sales LTD, and a massive hardware boost. I very much doubt it will cross 10 million, though.

Kantor said:
dejelek said:

ok simple math

Why should recent PS3 exclusive sales be any indication? There's a new, 2D IP; a niche SJRPG; and a very good shooter which sold a lot better than its predecessor. Which we do not have Others data for yet.

Not to mention the install base will be much higher after the holiday season is over.

As you can see from my previous post, the Gran Turismo games on PS1 and PS2 both sold exceptionally well, and the Prologue has sold extremely well too. GTA4 can only fairly be compared to GTA3, because they have been released at the same point in the console cycle. GTA3 and GTA4 have near identical sales, looking at both platforms, so that shows that having a smaller install base does not necessarily mean that sales will be greatly affected.

GT5 will not be alone in very good sales, although it will sell far higher than any of these. Only GTA exceeded GT's sales last gen, and due to the current gen release, GTA IV, being same-day released on PS3 and 360, sold far less than it could have on PS3, had it been timed exclusive like in the past.

Conclusion: GT5 will be huge. >8 million sales LTD, and a massive hardware boost. I very much doubt it will cross 10 million, though.

What do you think the attachment rate would be if it sold 8million units?  For every 3 or 4 PS3's out Sony sells 1 unit of GT5? 

I don't see that happening at all for a couple of reasons.  1) Racing games clearly aren't as popular as they once were, atleast here in the states.  2) The attachment rate would have to be too high for the game to sell 8 million units.  Even in a few years it would still be at best 1:4 or 1:5 and I don't see that happening.

If Sony bundles it up it may hit 3.5-4.5 million.  And if it doesn't get bundled it may hit 3 million. (Which is a great # for most games)

"If you've got them by the balls their hearts and minds will follow."

Quote by- The Imortal John Wayne, the original BADASS!

Kantor said:
dejelek said:

ok simple math

hmmm not sure it will happens looking at the poor sales it did since its release.

Posted the info on swedish forum that the 360 sells better than the PS3 in Europe and had vgchartz as the source but people do not accept this and saying vgchartz is not a reliable site and so on. Is there other links I can use proving that this is true?

atma998 said:
Kantor said:
dejelek said:

ok simple math

hmmm not sure it will happens looking at the poor sales it did since its release.

We'll see after this week's Others sales get put up.