By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - And so...the 360 Won in North America this gen....whats for sony now?

Jordahn said:
selnor said:
How many times have we heard "PS3's year is next year" or "wait for X game".
M$ seem to have used the cards they have at the right time.

It seems with the glowing reviews of HD stream quality via Netflix that BLU RAY is not a selling point in America anymore. Not having to use a crappy old tech like disc and store them on a shelf is brilliant. Afterall how many times must we change bloody meda and have to buy all 400 films all over again. Netflix subscription saves alot of money.

I call it right here right now that the PS3 is 3rd by end of gen. For those that dont agree, when is it time that you call it? Because the gap since launch of PS3 was 5.5 mill. Now 2 years after launch nearly and the gap is 5.94mill. By Summer I expect to se nearly 7 mill.

I think Netflix is gonna help alot more than we all envisioned in the beginning. And M$ help they may even help get licenses sorted for more new releases to.

There will always be movie collectors, and as of now, the infastructure of streaming HD movies cannot accomodate all the features a Blu-ray has to offer.  Streaming will do more damage to the rental industry than the physical purchases of movies.  If you want to own a movie, you will buy a physcial copy because there is far more flexability in it.  Apparently, you haven't read the glowing reviews of the picture quality, sound quality, and extra features only a Blu-Ray can provide.

I know what your saying, but every few months the broadband industry gets better and better. Here in the UK they are trialing 60 mb broadband. 20 mb is now easy to come by and very cheap. I'm on 10 mb broadband for les than £10/month.

I have read the reviews of BLU RAY and watched a few. They are impressive. But I would rather have thousands of films to hand, as opposed to spending thousands replacing my 400 DVD collection in BLU RAY.

Around the Network

Why do people say that the PS3 still can beat the 360 in the US, but not comment on my calculation that shows it's statistically almost impossible for the PS3 to catch the 360.

In addition, the 360's price cut is starting to cancel out the gains made by the PS3 during last Christmas. If this goes on, they might cancel out the gains made by the PS3 during MGS4's launch.

My collection of guides on GameFAQs: Read them here

My latest guide on GameFAQs, for Little King's Story! Read it here 

they cant see unless they open their eyes but like teh child afraid of teh boggy man they willl keep holding to the dreams under the covers where al gore was elected pres and we have flying cars powered by teh cell

selnor said:
Jordahn said:
selnor said:
How many times have we heard "PS3's year is next year" or "wait for X game".
M$ seem to have used the cards they have at the right time.

It seems with the glowing reviews of HD stream quality via Netflix that BLU RAY is not a selling point in America anymore. Not having to use a crappy old tech like disc and store them on a shelf is brilliant. Afterall how many times must we change bloody meda and have to buy all 400 films all over again. Netflix subscription saves alot of money.

I call it right here right now that the PS3 is 3rd by end of gen. For those that dont agree, when is it time that you call it? Because the gap since launch of PS3 was 5.5 mill. Now 2 years after launch nearly and the gap is 5.94mill. By Summer I expect to se nearly 7 mill.

I think Netflix is gonna help alot more than we all envisioned in the beginning. And M$ help they may even help get licenses sorted for more new releases to.

There will always be movie collectors, and as of now, the infastructure of streaming HD movies cannot accomodate all the features a Blu-ray has to offer.  Streaming will do more damage to the rental industry than the physical purchases of movies.  If you want to own a movie, you will buy a physcial copy because there is far more flexability in it.  Apparently, you haven't read the glowing reviews of the picture quality, sound quality, and extra features only a Blu-Ray can provide.

I know what your saying, but every few months the broadband industry gets better and better. Here in the UK they are trialing 60 mb broadband. 20 mb is now easy to come by and very cheap. I'm on 10 mb broadband for les than £10/month.

I have read the reviews of BLU RAY and watched a few. They are impressive. But I would rather have thousands of films to hand, as opposed to spending thousands replacing my 400 DVD collection in BLU RAY.

Personally, I think anyone who decides to replace their entire DVD collection are the exception.  Why would I need to replace my (actually my wife's) copy of "When Harry Meets Sally"?  Also, I'm a fan of the 70's sitcom "The Jeffersons."  I see no point in waiting and owning that series in Blu-Ray.  But almost everything new I buy is on Blu-Ray now while there are a nice handful of titles I will replace such as Spider-man and upcoming older releases such as Lord of the Rings. It's also encouraging me to buy classics I've never entirely seen such as Close Encounters and 2001 Sapce Odyssee.

EDIT: Oh, and about the broadband industry...  I can get HD surround sound NOW with the extras on a Blu-Ray disc.  Something you are NOT getting with Netflix streaming if I understand correctly.  And there is no need to see things so one-sided.  Yes, the broadband industry has and will be better, but that applies to most all industries.  It happened to VHS, DVD, and it's happening to Blu-ray right now.  It's not as clear cut as "BLU RAY is not a selling point in America anymore."

Hackers are poor nerds who don't wash.

Around the Network
xman said:
taxman said:
I love these threads....

I remember when everone was saying the PS3 is doomed in September 2007, no turning back and no reason to own it....

Then the table turned and it sold better with the price cut..... I remember the January NPD when it outsold the 360... OMG to 360 is doomed everyone said....
During the summer more voices were added to that....

And now the PS3 is back in the firing line.... No turning back, nowhere to go everyone suddenly says....

I guess people never learn and might be shocked if/when the tables have turned again. Remember we are not even half way through the generation yet...

Yeah it is kind of funny I have been on the boards since August and seen the 360 rules sony is dead, then sony is taking over the 360 is dead and after the price cut 360 is great and the PS3 is dying.  Its who has the momentum and right know its the 360

well being an old timer myself, i always felt it was a stretch for the ps3 to pass the 360 in the stats and have stuck by that, but by no means does that mean the ps3 is doomed.....

I will say i miss the threads where people wrote off NA for the ps3, then wrote off the 360 in japan (they said it would never hit  1 million) and said europe/others would decided the console race. havent seen many of those recently 

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

steven787 said:
In the sales discussion, Wii is #1. Any talk of 360 being number one should be in the gaming discussion, whether referencing sales or anything else... ;)

Seriously, why is the Wii never counted.

360 has the top total software and third party software for America.

Wii is 100m-53m=47m, 360 131-28= 103. Now I believe this is because third parties think like you do, and don't think about the Wii. They are bad business people and are throwing away potential business by making no compelling software for the average NA "core" gamer.

As a PS3 owner, I think it's pretty obvious why 360 killed the PS3. Price, Earlier Launch, Halo 3, and online experience. I could argue why I bought a PS3, but what I think about the console doesn't matter to sales across the continent.

the wii is not counted because its not an interesting part of the race, we all know where the wii is headed. so why talk about it? where the race could still change is the 360/ps3 much like last gen the xbox/gc was what was fun to talk about, because every one new neither would beat the ps2

goddog said:
steven787 said:
In the sales discussion, Wii is #1. Any talk of 360 being number one should be in the gaming discussion, whether referencing sales or anything else... ;)

Wii is 100m-53m=47m, 360 131-28= 103. Now I believe this is because third parties think like you do, and don't think about the Wii. They are bad business people and are throwing away potential business by making no compelling software for the average NA "core" gamer.

As a PS3 owner, I think it's pretty obvious why 360 killed the PS3. Price, Earlier Launch, Halo 3, and online experience. I could argue why I bought a PS3, but what I think about the console doesn't matter to sales across the continent.

the wii is not counted because its not an interesting part of the race, we all know where the wii is headed. so why talk about it? where the race could still change is the 360/ps3 much like last gen the xbox/gc was what was fun to talk about, because every one new neither would beat the ps2

Wii should be counted because as I've always said $250 on a Wii is that much less to buy somethine else.  This is contrete, not abstract.  It also helps keep the 360 and PS3 fanboys in their place, but then again, there will always be those who are lost forever.  I sure hope not.

Hackers are poor nerds who don't wash.

mesoteto said:
"They knew the Wii was after a different market"

this is so freaking ....grrrr

its the same market

video games

anything breaking it don isnt really trth

b/c n that case the 360 is really competing with the ps3 b/c the people that the ps3 are targeting are the ones that want hi def movies with a little game thrown in

and teh 360 is targeting really only the core american gamer

see or we could say they arent competing b/c the 360 is going after teh people that like green and white machines while teh ps3 is going after people that like black hardware

its stupid and pointless

they all three want you to spend money on the machines and not on the others...nin is just better at getting new monies at the moment

Okay. I'll rephrase that. I shouldn't say a different market but rather a different segment of the market. Much like movies have those marketed to kids or male adults or women and sometimes everyone. The Wii was after a segment of the market that hadn't been exploited and they knew could have huge gains.

MS threw around the idea of that segment (the casuals) at the beginning of the 360's life. Xbox Live Arcade was supposed to be the appeal to draw in that segment, but failed to have the impact that the Wii did. So for the first 2-3 years MS focused on taking marketshare away from the PS3. And now, they're making their attempt at cashing in on some of the segment the Wii has attracted.

It's pretty basic. The PS3 and 360 keep flip flopping in sales because they pretty much offer the same thing. Once one of these formats becomes more defined and suceeds in taking over the other, that winner will set it's sight on the Wii's audience. It will NOT be able to overtake it this generation, but it will certainly get a piece of the pie.

Author of science fiction and other genres, I write under the pen name Desmond Shepherd. The second season of my series The Permanent Man premieres on November 11, 2014. Pre-order the season premiere The Walls Have Ears on Amazon today!

Jordahn said:
goddog said:
steven787 said:

Wii should be counted because as I've always said $250 on a Wii is that much less to buy somethine else.  This is contrete, not abstract.  It also helps keep the 360 and PS3 fanboys in their place, but then again, there will always be those who are lost forever.  I sure hope not.

its not that its abstract or concrete, it simply has to do with fun and plausibility. right now it is not plausible for either of the HD consoles to outsell the wii at almost any price, the people arguing in the thread (most of them anyway) realize this. so they have moved onto a topic of debate that is still up in the air. this gives them leverage to make hypothesis for others to debate. 

now if you want the wii involved the question becomes can the hd consoles somehow maintain 50% market share? you could go open that thread.

but in here the battle is for second and third, with lively debate on each side, and the wii dose not enter into it because it will not end up in third or second