By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - And so...the 360 Won in North America this gen....whats for sony now?

The show ain't over yet until the fat lady sings.

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Supporter of PlayStation and Nintendo

Around the Network
Afterman said:

1. I have a PS3

2. I am a sony Fanboy (yes...I want every xbox360 game to fail)

3. The 360 is a monter in NA. North America adopted the 360 as HD console...not the PS3.

Why?

1. Price

2. Games and Network

I think...there is no return back for Sony here. Unless they bring some price cuts really fast.

Yeah, we have Killzone 2, GT5, GOW3....but those games are not going to save a 2009 economy, where budgets are very slim.... Next year is going to be very difficult for the world, and a $200 console is the way vs a $400.

What do you think?

What do I think?

I think that if you wanted 360 exclusives to flop, this is a very sad time in your life.

Now, speaking on HD consoles only:

It's SLIGHTLY too early to call the Americas for MS, but it's getting past the point of no return here. Sony refuses to compete, and soon they won't be able to do so, even if they wanted.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Bobbuffalo said:
Afterman said:
Hyruken said:
Every competition has to have a loser and this gens is the PS3. This doesnt make it crap. How many people owned a Gamecube or a Dreamcast and loved them? I did. In fact Shenmue was one of my top 5 all time fav games on DC.
The PS3 joins a good group of consoles that had a few good games but ultimatly was rejected by the world :(

I mean...In a moment of huge crisis...it doesnt matter which console is better...now what really affects is the price...and there Sony cant compete...they didnt know this ould happen.

Right now both consoles are great...I dont think there is one better than the other, overall.

But 360 is cheaper...and thats what counts....

I will stick with my ps3 because i need to see killzone in action...but I must admit the 360 did a great job and stole the crown from Sony (WII is another story)

No is not. Is a console. They are competing. Period.

You sony fanboys always do that.

Yes.  You cannot discount the Wii because buying one is $250 less to spend on another console.  You have PS3 fanboys discounting the Wii as a competitor.  You also have 360 fanboys doing the same thing.  Heck, Microsoft did it.  PS3 should take a cue from SONY since SONY regconized both Nintendo and Microsoft as competitors.  And Wii fanboys like the use the 360 against the PS3 as revenge since SONY sold the most consoles last two gens.  This blatant rabid fanboyism = not good.

Hackers are poor nerds who don't wash.

Jordahn said:
Bobbuffalo said:
Afterman said:
Hyruken said:
Every competition has to have a loser and this gens is the PS3. This doesnt make it crap. How many people owned a Gamecube or a Dreamcast and loved them? I did. In fact Shenmue was one of my top 5 all time fav games on DC.
The PS3 joins a good group of consoles that had a few good games but ultimatly was rejected by the world :(

I mean...In a moment of huge crisis...it doesnt matter which console is better...now what really affects is the price...and there Sony cant compete...they didnt know this ould happen.

Right now both consoles are great...I dont think there is one better than the other, overall.

I will stick with my ps3 because i need to see killzone in action...but I must admit the 360 did a great job and stole the crown from Sony (WII is another story)

Yes.  You cannot discount the Wii because buying one is $250 less to spend on another console.  You have PS3 fanboys discounting the Wii as a competitor.  You also have 360 fanboys doing the same thing.  Heck, Microsoft did it.  PS3 should take a cue from SONY since SONY regconized both Nintendo and Microsoft as competitors.  And Wii fanboys like the use the 360 against the PS3 as revenge since SONY sold the most consoles last two gens.  This blatant rabid fanboyism = not good.

If you remember correctly, I don't think Microsoft discounted the Wii. Rather they embraced it, and I wonder if it was clever marketing to hurt PS3 sales (since it is the direct competitor with the 360, offering similar services). Wasn't it Peter Moore who coined "Wii60". They knew the Wii was after a different market, so what better way to capture the same market as the PS3 and making the 360 and Wii pals who are meant to be together. Extremely smart if you ask me.

I think MS feels they have pretty much done what they needed to to gain marketshare away from the PS3, and now they are after the Wii's audience. NXE proves that. They've moved on and they are not looking back.

Author of science fiction and other genres, I write under the pen name Desmond Shepherd. The second season of my series The Permanent Man premieres on November 11, 2014. Pre-order the season premiere The Walls Have Ears on Amazon today!

How many times have we heard "PS3's year is next year" or "wait for X game".
M$ seem to have used the cards they have at the right time.

It seems with the glowing reviews of HD stream quality via Netflix that BLU RAY is not a selling point in America anymore. Not having to use a crappy old tech like disc and store them on a shelf is brilliant. Afterall how many times must we change bloody meda and have to buy all 400 films all over again. Netflix subscription saves alot of money.

I call it right here right now that the PS3 is 3rd by end of gen. For those that dont agree, when is it time that you call it? Because the gap since launch of PS3 was 5.5 mill. Now 2 years after launch nearly and the gap is 5.94mill. By Summer I expect to se nearly 7 mill.

I think Netflix is gonna help alot more than we all envisioned in the beginning. And M$ help they may even help get licenses sorted for more new releases to.

Around the Network
dreamcast210 said:
Jordahn said:
Bobbuffalo said:
Afterman said:
Hyruken said:

If you remember correctly, I don't think Microsoft discounted the Wii. Rather they embraced it, and I wonder if it was clever marketing to hurt PS3 sales (since it is the direct competitor with the 360, offering similar services). Wasn't it Peter Moore who coined "Wii60". They knew the Wii was after a different market, so what better way to capture the same market as the PS3 and making the 360 and Wii pals who are meant to be together. Extremely smart if you ask me.

I think MS feels they have pretty much done what they needed to to gain marketshare away from the PS3, and now they are after the Wii's audience. NXE proves that. They've moved on and they are not looking back.

If you remember correctly, the bigger picture is that Microsoft as a whole in the console industry claimed that they were not competing with Nintendo.  This first happened with the Gamecube.  When the original Xbox was third worldwide while specificly in second in sales in N.A. and Europe. Microsoft NEVER claimed that they were second worldwide behind the PS2.  They only claimed they were second in N.A. and Europe.  It was only when Xbox sales in N.A. and Europe were great enough to push it over worldwide Gamecube sales is when they said they were second worldwide.  Go figure.  They took this metality that Nintendo console's were targeted to a different audience first with the Gamecube and then with the Wii.  And it's really easy to discount that one thing Moore said especially when he's not with the Xbox division anymore to head EA Sports to help assure quality PS3 software (which he is doing).  Of course Microsoft has now conceded first to the Wii's lead.  So it wasn't just trying to gain marketshare from the PS3 because they always knew that Nintendo was a company they had to deal with, but their outward arrogance (like SONY's) had a price to pay.

Afterman said:

1. I have a PS3

2. I am a sony Fanboy (yes...I want every xbox360 game to fail)

3. The 360 is a monter in NA. North America adopted the 360 as HD console...not the PS3.

Why?

1. Price

2. Games and Network

I think...there is no return back for Sony here. Unless they bring some price cuts really fast.

Yeah, we have Killzone 2, GT5, GOW3....but those games are not going to save a 2009 economy, where budgets are very slim.... Next year is going to be very difficult for the world, and a $200 console is the way vs a $400.

What do you think?

Sorry to go off topic, but why would you say that?

What do you have against other people enjoying games?

"They knew the Wii was after a different market"

this is so freaking ....grrrr

its the same market

video games

anything breaking it don isnt really trth

b/c n that case the 360 is really competing with the ps3 b/c the people that the ps3 are targeting are the ones that want hi def movies with a little game thrown in

and teh 360 is targeting really only the core american gamer

see or we could say they arent competing b/c the 360 is going after teh people that like green and white machines while teh ps3 is going after people that like black hardware

its stupid and pointless

they all three want you to spend money on the machines and not on the others...nin is just better at getting new monies at the moment

selnor said:
How many times have we heard "PS3's year is next year" or "wait for X game".
M$ seem to have used the cards they have at the right time.

It seems with the glowing reviews of HD stream quality via Netflix that BLU RAY is not a selling point in America anymore. Not having to use a crappy old tech like disc and store them on a shelf is brilliant. Afterall how many times must we change bloody meda and have to buy all 400 films all over again. Netflix subscription saves alot of money.

I call it right here right now that the PS3 is 3rd by end of gen. For those that dont agree, when is it time that you call it? Because the gap since launch of PS3 was 5.5 mill. Now 2 years after launch nearly and the gap is 5.94mill. By Summer I expect to se nearly 7 mill.

I think Netflix is gonna help alot more than we all envisioned in the beginning. And M$ help they may even help get licenses sorted for more new releases to.

There will always be movie collectors, and as of now, the infastructure of streaming HD movies cannot accomodate all the features a Blu-ray has to offer.  Streaming will do more damage to the rental industry than the physical purchases of movies.  If you want to own a movie, you will buy a physcial copy because there is far more flexability in it.  Apparently, you haven't read the glowing reviews of the picture quality, sound quality, and extra features only a Blu-Ray can provide.

still a shame about hd dvd was such a better format to start on, but its a mute point b/c blu ray has gotten so much better