By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - And so...the 360 Won in North America this gen....whats for sony now?

goddog said:
Jordahn said:
goddog said:
Jordahn said:
goddog said:
steven787 said:
In the sales discussion, Wii is #1. Any talk of 360 being number one should be in the gaming discussion, whether referencing sales or anything else... ;)

Seriously, why is the Wii never counted.

360 has the top total software and third party software for America.

Wii is 100m-53m=47m, 360 131-28= 103. Now I believe this is because third parties think like you do, and don't think about the Wii. They are bad business people and are throwing away potential business by making no compelling software for the average NA "core" gamer.

As a PS3 owner, I think it's pretty obvious why 360 killed the PS3. Price, Earlier Launch, Halo 3, and online experience. I could argue why I bought a PS3, but what I think about the console doesn't matter to sales across the continent.

the wii is not counted because its not an interesting part of the race, we all know where the wii is headed. so why talk about it? where the race could still change is the 360/ps3 much like last gen the xbox/gc was what was fun to talk about, because every one new neither would beat the ps2

Wii should be counted because as I've always said $250 on a Wii is that much less to buy somethine else.  This is contrete, not abstract.  It also helps keep the 360 and PS3 fanboys in their place, but then again, there will always be those who are lost forever.  I sure hope not.

its not that its abstract or concrete, it simply has to do with fun and plausibility. right now it is not plausible for either of the HD consoles to outsell the wii at almost any price, the people arguing in the thread (most of them anyway) realize this. so they have moved onto a topic of debate that is still up in the air. this gives them leverage to make hypothesis for others to debate. 

now if you want the wii involved the question becomes can the hd consoles somehow maintain 50% market share? you could go open that thread.

but in here the battle is for second and third, with lively debate on each side, and the wii dose not enter into it because it will not end up in third or second 

I'm staying within Steven's context since that was his point which is very valid in regards to those who are seemingly hypocritical to deny/not-point-out the Wii's success over the 360.

so your just going to0 ignore my argument and claim victory. interesting. he did not say anything about being hypocritical he asked a question. I answered with what i though, you responded and are now abandoning the argument. 

His question was followed by...

"360 has the top total software and third party software for America.

Wii is 100m-53m=47m, 360 131-28= 103. Now I believe this is because third parties think like you do, and don't think about the Wii. They are bad business people and are throwing away potential business by making no compelling software for the average NA "core" gamer."

...which impies the Wii is being ignored for the wrong reasons for some according to steven787 (which I agree), not because of some general acceptance of being first.  Context, baby, context.  And victory... what victory???  I ain't got no beef with you or for anyone else.

:)

Hackers are poor nerds who don't wash.

Around the Network
Jordahn said:
steverhcp02 said:
WiiStation360 said:
goddog said:

the wii is not counted because its not an interesting part of the race, we all know where the wii is headed. so why talk about it? where the race could still change is the 360/ps3 much like last gen the xbox/gc was what was fun to talk about, because every one new neither would beat the ps2

In other news, MS Zune wins the NA music market!!!!!

The MS Zune crushed other portable music players from Creative and Sony to claim the NA crown.  All hail the champion! (IPod sales do not cound because thye are winning, therefore not interesting to me.)

i think you missed the point. The point is its accepted the Wii is cleaning house...so why even debate its sales compared to the other two when its just going to be the same old same old. The variables and competition between the 360 an dPS3 can still be healthy and fun whereas teh Wii isnt going to be touched....

Go to the nintendo forums and have your circle jerk if you want it, but when discussing numbers its stupid to argue and debate "wow the wii is fantastic" "Nuh, uh the wii is GREAT" "nuh uh teh wii is super duper" Wii is cleaning house. its not interesting or fun to debate competition when there is none.

Actually, you and goddog are missing Steven787's point of ignoring the Wii in all of this such as for developers (missing out on profits) and fanboys because... they are fanboys.  :)

so you want to shift arguments now, okay if there were two qestions up there, i can go for the second one.  for developers, you need look no further than high profile games such as cod:waw and madden to see why they are not getting more high profile games. devs will continue to test out the waters trying to figure out what works in terms of major 3rd party games, but until they find that formula, you are going to see lots and lots of shovelware, that has worked for them. things like carnival games.

this is the same thing you see on the ds, it took along time for the ds to get menaingfull 3rd party games to work out, most of which are rpgs, i feel the wii will do very well on this end too.  honestly i think the wii would do very well with classic side scrollers being remade for it, because the ds, and wii userbase overlaps tremendously. so there is a solution.

as for why the 360 and ps3 keep getting the major 3rd party titles, look no further then the 360s million seller list, and then remember that a port ebtween these two consoles is fairly easy to do vs reducing the game for the wii. 

there you have it

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

Jordahn said:
goddog said:
Jordahn said:
goddog said:
Jordahn said:
goddog said:
steven787 said:
In the sales discussion, Wii is #1. Any talk of 360 being number one should be in the gaming discussion, whether referencing sales or anything else... ;)

Wii is 100m-53m=47m, 360 131-28= 103. Now I believe this is because third parties think like you do, and don't think about the Wii. They are bad business people and are throwing away potential business by making no compelling software for the average NA "core" gamer.

As a PS3 owner, I think it's pretty obvious why 360 killed the PS3. Price, Earlier Launch, Halo 3, and online experience. I could argue why I bought a PS3, but what I think about the console doesn't matter to sales across the continent.

Wii should be counted because as I've always said $250 on a Wii is that much less to buy somethine else.  This is contrete, not abstract.  It also helps keep the 360 and PS3 fanboys in their place, but then again, there will always be those who are lost forever.  I sure hope not.

its not that its abstract or concrete, it simply has to do with fun and plausibility. right now it is not plausible for either of the HD consoles to outsell the wii at almost any price, the people arguing in the thread (most of them anyway) realize this. so they have moved onto a topic of debate that is still up in the air. this gives them leverage to make hypothesis for others to debate. 

now if you want the wii involved the question becomes can the hd consoles somehow maintain 50% market share? you could go open that thread.

but in here the battle is for second and third, with lively debate on each side, and the wii dose not enter into it because it will not end up in third or second 

I'm staying within Steven's context since that was his point which is very valid in regards to those who are seemingly hypocritical to deny/not-point-out the Wii's success over the 360.

so your just going to0 ignore my argument and claim victory. interesting. he did not say anything about being hypocritical he asked a question. I answered with what i though, you responded and are now abandoning the argument. 

Wii is 100m-53m=47m, 360 131-28= 103. Now I believe this is because third parties think like you do, and don't think about the Wii. They are bad business people and are throwing away potential business by making no compelling software for the average NA "core" gamer."

...which impies the Wii is being ignored for the wrong reasons for some according to steven787 (which I agree), not because of some general acceptance of being first.  Context, baby, context.  And victory... what victory???  I ain't got no beef with you or for anyone else.

i replyed read my next post. there were two questions there i addessed the first one

"Seriously, why is the Wii never counted." doesnt have a question mark, but is a question

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

anything can happen and if this gen is supposed to be 10 years then we have a long way to go. th main reason sony is not doing well is because they dont have the games. For the last 2 years the 360 has had the best line up.

3DS FC: 4355-9313-6815

goddog said:
Jordahn said:
goddog said:
Jordahn said:
goddog said:
Jordahn said:
goddog said:
steven787 said:

i replyed read my next post. there were two questions there i addessed the first one

"Seriously, why is the Wii never counted." doesnt have a question mark, but is a question

I know you replied.  I read you post, and I respectfully disagree with it because I agree with Steven787 for asking a rhetorical question which he fleshed out his intentions.  I understand your point, but just backing what he said with my understanding.

Hackers are poor nerds who don't wash.

Around the Network
taomaster06 said:
anything can happen and if this gen is supposed to be 10 years then we have a long way to go. th main reason sony is not doing well is because they dont have the games. For the last 2 years the 360 has had the best line up.

1. This gen won't be 10 years

2. Sony has the games. That excuse is old

3. Miracles are unrealistic. If sony drops the ps3 to $100, M$ will give the 360 away for free just to "win"

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Really, what I see if MS was to hang on and beat Sony in Europe or others, then you would see some EU company or UK company try to come out with its own console. I think Sony or Namco or Sega or someone else would try to release a console to try to reach the Asian market if Sony decided not to release a dedicated console next time, the 360 would win America in the next gen, and much like this gen Nintendo would win worldwide because of the fact that they have characters that are popular in all regions.

So Nintendo would win worldwide and still compete in America (but I think they would come in second to MS' next console there), another European company would enter the picture in Europe and there might be several companies vying for second place spoils to Nintendo in Asia. Asian gaming would become much more insular. I don't know if an EU developed console could gain any real footing in the Americas.

Basically it could become much like the time when they had all those microcomputers competing in different territories and they usually didn't appear in other territories like the days of the C-64 in America, MSX in Japan and Spectrum, and Amstrad (I think in Europe).

But what would that do for high budget gaming? Certainly, Nintendo and MS games would still be well supported; however, if you liked all those little Japanese games that were so good yet introduced to American only because of the popularity of the PS2, then you might be disappointed that you wouldn't be getting too many of those.

Jordahn said:
selnor said:
Jordahn said:
selnor said:
How many times have we heard "PS3's year is next year" or "wait for X game".
M$ seem to have used the cards they have at the right time.

It seems with the glowing reviews of HD stream quality via Netflix that BLU RAY is not a selling point in America anymore. Not having to use a crappy old tech like disc and store them on a shelf is brilliant. Afterall how many times must we change bloody meda and have to buy all 400 films all over again. Netflix subscription saves alot of money.

I call it right here right now that the PS3 is 3rd by end of gen. For those that dont agree, when is it time that you call it? Because the gap since launch of PS3 was 5.5 mill. Now 2 years after launch nearly and the gap is 5.94mill. By Summer I expect to se nearly 7 mill.

I think Netflix is gonna help alot more than we all envisioned in the beginning. And M$ help they may even help get licenses sorted for more new releases to.

There will always be movie collectors, and as of now, the infastructure of streaming HD movies cannot accomodate all the features a Blu-ray has to offer.  Streaming will do more damage to the rental industry than the physical purchases of movies.  If you want to own a movie, you will buy a physcial copy because there is far more flexability in it.  Apparently, you haven't read the glowing reviews of the picture quality, sound quality, and extra features only a Blu-Ray can provide.

I know what your saying, but every few months the broadband industry gets better and better. Here in the UK they are trialing 60 mb broadband. 20 mb is now easy to come by and very cheap. I'm on 10 mb broadband for les than £10/month.

I have read the reviews of BLU RAY and watched a few. They are impressive. But I would rather have thousands of films to hand, as opposed to spending thousands replacing my 400 DVD collection in BLU RAY.

Personally, I think anyone who decides to replace their entire DVD collection are the exception.  Why would I need to replace my (actually my wife's) copy of "When Harry Meets Sally"?  Also, I'm a fan of the 70's sitcom "The Jeffersons."  I see no point in waiting and owning that series in Blu-Ray.  But almost everything new I buy is on Blu-Ray now while there are a nice handful of titles I will replace such as Spider-man and upcoming older releases such as Lord of the Rings. It's also encouraging me to buy classics I've never entirely seen such as Close Encounters and 2001 Sapce Odyssee.

EDIT: Oh, and about the broadband industry...  I can get HD surround sound NOW with the extras on a Blu-Ray disc.  Something you are NOT getting with Netflix streaming if I understand correctly.  And there is no need to see things so one-sided.  Yes, the broadband industry has and will be better, but that applies to most all industries.  It happened to VHS, DVD, and it's happening to Blu-ray right now.  It's not as clear cut as "BLU RAY is not a selling point in America anymore."

The problem is why pay £200 for a bluray player then £20 for 1 Blu Ray movie? Ok so the quality of picture may be slightly better (according to first reviews it's not much) and I understand DD 6.1 is available for HD streaming on 360. So for £160 + £60 + £40 = £260 for unlimited at your fingertips HD movies. Thats 12 months live and 12 months Netflix converted to Enlish £. The PS3 is £300 on it's own with no BLU RAY films. PS3 + 5 HD BLU RAY films is £400. Streaming is certainly the future and I expect BLU RAY in America to slowly die out from Christmas onwards.

selnor said:
Jordahn said:
selnor said:
Jordahn said:
selnor said:
How many times have we heard "PS3's year is next year" or "wait for X game".
M$ seem to have used the cards they have at the right time.

It seems with the glowing reviews of HD stream quality via Netflix that BLU RAY is not a selling point in America anymore. Not having to use a crappy old tech like disc and store them on a shelf is brilliant. Afterall how many times must we change bloody meda and have to buy all 400 films all over again. Netflix subscription saves alot of money.

I call it right here right now that the PS3 is 3rd by end of gen. For those that dont agree, when is it time that you call it? Because the gap since launch of PS3 was 5.5 mill. Now 2 years after launch nearly and the gap is 5.94mill. By Summer I expect to se nearly 7 mill.

I think Netflix is gonna help alot more than we all envisioned in the beginning. And M$ help they may even help get licenses sorted for more new releases to.

There will always be movie collectors, and as of now, the infastructure of streaming HD movies cannot accomodate all the features a Blu-ray has to offer. Streaming will do more damage to the rental industry than the physical purchases of movies. If you want to own a movie, you will buy a physcial copy because there is far more flexability in it. Apparently, you haven't read the glowing reviews of the picture quality, sound quality, and extra features only a Blu-Ray can provide.

I know what your saying, but every few months the broadband industry gets better and better. Here in the UK they are trialing 60 mb broadband. 20 mb is now easy to come by and very cheap. I'm on 10 mb broadband for les than £10/month.

I have read the reviews of BLU RAY and watched a few. They are impressive. But I would rather have thousands of films to hand, as opposed to spending thousands replacing my 400 DVD collection in BLU RAY.

Personally, I think anyone who decides to replace their entire DVD collection are the exception. Why would I need to replace my (actually my wife's) copy of "When Harry Meets Sally"? Also, I'm a fan of the 70's sitcom "The Jeffersons." I see no point in waiting and owning that series in Blu-Ray. But almost everything new I buy is on Blu-Ray now while there are a nice handful of titles I will replace such as Spider-man and upcoming older releases such as Lord of the Rings. It's also encouraging me to buy classics I've never entirely seen such as Close Encounters and 2001 Sapce Odyssee.

EDIT: Oh, and about the broadband industry... I can get HD surround sound NOW with the extras on a Blu-Ray disc. Something you are NOT getting with Netflix streaming if I understand correctly. And there is no need to see things so one-sided. Yes, the broadband industry has and will be better, but that applies to most all industries. It happened to VHS, DVD, and it's happening to Blu-ray right now. It's not as clear cut as "BLU RAY is not a selling point in America anymore."

The problem is why pay £200 for a bluray player then £20 for 1 Blu Ray movie? Ok so the quality of picture may be slightly better (according to first reviews it's not much) and I understand DD 6.1 is available for HD streaming on 360. So for £160 + £60 + £40 = £260 for unlimited at your fingertips HD movies. Thats 12 months live and 12 months Netflix converted to Enlish £. The PS3 is £300 on it's own with no BLU RAY films. PS3 + 5 HD BLU RAY films is £400. Streaming is certainly the future and I expect BLU RAY in America to slowly die out from Christmas onwards.

there's a group of people that would always like to have physical copies. Here's why: For example, what if sony corp cans their gaming division and my ps3 breaks, what happens to the games I downloaded from PSN?

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

I was originally thinking about buying a PS3 when the price dropped another $100 or so. However, then I saw the Xbox 360 fall from $250 to $170 and the 20GB HDD for $20 (which turned out to be $30 for me). I thought hey, there are a few games on Xbox 360 worth buying, renting, and borrowing from friends. I also like many of the demos. So I got the system. I am happy about my purchase. The 360 complements the better Wii and DS systems which I also own.

Since 360 and PS3 have mostly the same games and while some of the games tend to be slightly better of the PS3, some are better on the 360. Even though the games are similar, the 360 costs much less (about what the PSP costs), comes with 6 games, and has less expensive games. And yes, I understand that many of the games start at the same prices, used Xbox 360 games cost less than used PS3 so the games cost less. Heck, used 360 games are often less expensive than used Wii games.

Tired of big government?
Want liberty in your lifetime?
Join us @
http://www.freestateproject.org