By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - And so...the 360 Won in North America this gen....whats for sony now?

well, if you are blind, i can tell you that it's the Wii!!

now, between Ps3 and Xbox360, i guess Xbox360 won....
: (

Wii console: 0595 8808 5698 2709
Super Smash Bros Brawl: 1161 1357 5188

Mario Kart Wii: 1633 4506 4319

PES 2008: 1633 5820 0347

DragonBall Z BT 3: 3823 9760 9484

Pokemon Battle Revolution: 3480 2645 9186
Feel free to add me, and sent me a pm with your Friend Code!!

Around the Network
selnor said:
Jordahn said:
selnor said:
Jordahn said:
selnor said:
How many times have we heard "PS3's year is next year" or "wait for X game".
M$ seem to have used the cards they have at the right time.

It seems with the glowing reviews of HD stream quality via Netflix that BLU RAY is not a selling point in America anymore. Not having to use a crappy old tech like disc and store them on a shelf is brilliant. Afterall how many times must we change bloody meda and have to buy all 400 films all over again. Netflix subscription saves alot of money.

I call it right here right now that the PS3 is 3rd by end of gen. For those that dont agree, when is it time that you call it? Because the gap since launch of PS3 was 5.5 mill. Now 2 years after launch nearly and the gap is 5.94mill. By Summer I expect to se nearly 7 mill.

I think Netflix is gonna help alot more than we all envisioned in the beginning. And M$ help they may even help get licenses sorted for more new releases to.

There will always be movie collectors, and as of now, the infastructure of streaming HD movies cannot accomodate all the features a Blu-ray has to offer. Streaming will do more damage to the rental industry than the physical purchases of movies. If you want to own a movie, you will buy a physcial copy because there is far more flexability in it. Apparently, you haven't read the glowing reviews of the picture quality, sound quality, and extra features only a Blu-Ray can provide.

I know what your saying, but every few months the broadband industry gets better and better. Here in the UK they are trialing 60 mb broadband. 20 mb is now easy to come by and very cheap. I'm on 10 mb broadband for les than £10/month.

I have read the reviews of BLU RAY and watched a few. They are impressive. But I would rather have thousands of films to hand, as opposed to spending thousands replacing my 400 DVD collection in BLU RAY.

Personally, I think anyone who decides to replace their entire DVD collection are the exception. Why would I need to replace my (actually my wife's) copy of "When Harry Meets Sally"? Also, I'm a fan of the 70's sitcom "The Jeffersons." I see no point in waiting and owning that series in Blu-Ray. But almost everything new I buy is on Blu-Ray now while there are a nice handful of titles I will replace such as Spider-man and upcoming older releases such as Lord of the Rings. It's also encouraging me to buy classics I've never entirely seen such as Close Encounters and 2001 Sapce Odyssee.

EDIT: Oh, and about the broadband industry... I can get HD surround sound NOW with the extras on a Blu-Ray disc. Something you are NOT getting with Netflix streaming if I understand correctly. And there is no need to see things so one-sided. Yes, the broadband industry has and will be better, but that applies to most all industries. It happened to VHS, DVD, and it's happening to Blu-ray right now. It's not as clear cut as "BLU RAY is not a selling point in America anymore."

The problem is why pay £200 for a bluray player then £20 for 1 Blu Ray movie? Ok so the quality of picture may be slightly better (according to first reviews it's not much) and I understand DD 6.1 is available for HD streaming on 360. So for £160 + £60 + £40 = £260 for unlimited at your fingertips HD movies. Thats 12 months live and 12 months Netflix converted to Enlish £. The PS3 is £300 on it's own with no BLU RAY films. PS3 + 5 HD BLU RAY films is £400. Streaming is certainly the future and I expect BLU RAY in America to slowly die out from Christmas onwards.

You are ONLY presenting near worse case scenario for Blu-ray.

Opinionated, subjective.

As stated earlier, you still have your movie collectors.

The bottom line of your argument is entirely subjective/narrowminded supported by subjective/narrowminded points.  In fact, your entire argument is subjective/narrowminded. That is the problem. Please stop trying to find reason for your hate.  Is this what you always do in "real life," force worse case scenario for the PS3 and best case for 360???

Hackers are poor nerds who don't wash.

selnor said:
Jordahn said:
selnor said:
Jordahn said:
selnor said:

It seems with the glowing reviews of HD stream quality via Netflix that BLU RAY is not a selling point in America anymore. Not having to use a crappy old tech like disc and store them on a shelf is brilliant. Afterall how many times must we change bloody meda and have to buy all 400 films all over again. Netflix subscription saves alot of money.

I call it right here right now that the PS3 is 3rd by end of gen. For those that dont agree, when is it time that you call it? Because the gap since launch of PS3 was 5.5 mill. Now 2 years after launch nearly and the gap is 5.94mill. By Summer I expect to se nearly 7 mill.

I think Netflix is gonna help alot more than we all envisioned in the beginning. And M$ help they may even help get licenses sorted for more new releases to.

There will always be movie collectors, and as of now, the infastructure of streaming HD movies cannot accomodate all the features a Blu-ray has to offer.  Streaming will do more damage to the rental industry than the physical purchases of movies.  If you want to own a movie, you will buy a physcial copy because there is far more flexability in it.  Apparently, you haven't read the glowing reviews of the picture quality, sound quality, and extra features only a Blu-Ray can provide.

I know what your saying, but every few months the broadband industry gets better and better. Here in the UK they are trialing 60 mb broadband. 20 mb is now easy to come by and very cheap. I'm on 10 mb broadband for les than £10/month.

I have read the reviews of BLU RAY and watched a few. They are impressive. But I would rather have thousands of films to hand, as opposed to spending thousands replacing my 400 DVD collection in BLU RAY.

Personally, I think anyone who decides to replace their entire DVD collection are the exception.  Why would I need to replace my (actually my wife's) copy of "When Harry Meets Sally"?  Also, I'm a fan of the 70's sitcom "The Jeffersons."  I see no point in waiting and owning that series in Blu-Ray.  But almost everything new I buy is on Blu-Ray now while there are a nice handful of titles I will replace such as Spider-man and upcoming older releases such as Lord of the Rings. It's also encouraging me to buy classics I've never entirely seen such as Close Encounters and 2001 Sapce Odyssee.

EDIT: Oh, and about the broadband industry...  I can get HD surround sound NOW with the extras on a Blu-Ray disc.  Something you are NOT getting with Netflix streaming if I understand correctly.  And there is no need to see things so one-sided.  Yes, the broadband industry has and will be better, but that applies to most all industries.  It happened to VHS, DVD, and it's happening to Blu-ray right now.  It's not as clear cut as "BLU RAY is not a selling point in America anymore."

The problem is why pay £200 for a bluray player then £20 for 1 Blu Ray movie? Ok so the quality of picture may be slightly better (according to first reviews it's not much) and I understand DD 6.1 is available for HD streaming on 360. So for £160 + £60 + £40 = £260 for unlimited at your fingertips HD movies. Thats 12 months live and 12 months Netflix converted to Enlish £. The PS3 is £300 on it's own with no BLU RAY films. PS3 + 5 HD BLU RAY films is £400. Streaming is certainly the future and I expect BLU RAY in America to slowly die out from Christmas onwards.

You understood wrong.  Netflix can only stream stereo as of today and its not slightly worse, its bitrate is 8 times lower than a Blu-Ray encode.  Here are some quotes from the Netflix Blog.

"In general, these encodes are definitively better than SD, but won't challenge well-executed Blu-ray encodes - that would require a bitrate out of reach for most domestic broadband today."

"Today, we cannot use WMDRM to deliver AC3 or DD+ audio, which means that only stereo (delivered via WMA) is available."

Here are the Netlix Specs.

http://blog.netflix.com/2008/11/encoding-for-streaming.html

“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”

Stephen Henry Roberts

Jordahn said:
selnor said:
Jordahn said:
selnor said:
Jordahn said:
selnor said:

There will always be movie collectors, and as of now, the infastructure of streaming HD movies cannot accomodate all the features a Blu-ray has to offer. Streaming will do more damage to the rental industry than the physical purchases of movies. If you want to own a movie, you will buy a physcial copy because there is far more flexability in it. Apparently, you haven't read the glowing reviews of the picture quality, sound quality, and extra features only a Blu-Ray can provide.

Personally, I think anyone who decides to replace their entire DVD collection are the exception. Why would I need to replace my (actually my wife's) copy of "When Harry Meets Sally"? Also, I'm a fan of the 70's sitcom "The Jeffersons." I see no point in waiting and owning that series in Blu-Ray. But almost everything new I buy is on Blu-Ray now while there are a nice handful of titles I will replace such as Spider-man and upcoming older releases such as Lord of the Rings. It's also encouraging me to buy classics I've never entirely seen such as Close Encounters and 2001 Sapce Odyssee.

EDIT: Oh, and about the broadband industry... I can get HD surround sound NOW with the extras on a Blu-Ray disc. Something you are NOT getting with Netflix streaming if I understand correctly. And there is no need to see things so one-sided. Yes, the broadband industry has and will be better, but that applies to most all industries. It happened to VHS, DVD, and it's happening to Blu-ray right now. It's not as clear cut as "BLU RAY is not a selling point in America anymore."

You are ONLY presenting near worse case scenario for Blu-ray.

Opinionated, subjective.

As stated earlier, you still have your movie collectors.

The bottom line of your argument is entirely subjective/narrowminded supported by subjective/narrowminded points.  In fact, your entire argument is subjective/narrowminded. That is the problem. Please stop trying to find reason for your hate.  Is this what you always do in "real life," force worse case scenario for the PS3 and best case for 360???

Ok lets do subjectively. The music industry. Yes the first industry to adopt downloads widely.

The best ever year according to RIAA for CD singles sales ever was 1997 where they sold 66,700,000 units.

In contrast the first year recorded for singles downloads was 2004. According to RIAA that year downloads did 139,400,000.

Now supposedly the music quality is less on MP3. By 2006 the downloads for singles figures jump to 586,400,000.

Now bearing in mind that BLU RAY is tracking way way lower than DVD, the fact that Downloads for movies is kicking off when BLURAY is barely out of the blocks in terms of sales it's only gonna hurt BLU RAY. For CD's it was ok, because everyone had a CD player. For BLURAY it's disasterous because BLURAY isnt even classed as 10% of the movie market.

I expect the full first year of streaming and downloads for movies in HD to beat BLU RAY by sveral 10's of millions. And I expect to see BLU RAY in America to dive rather than rise. Also anyone who was considering PS3 for HD films only, have a cheaper alternative this christmas with the option of loads of available films.

I'm not blindly using fanboyism, but downloading is something that is far bigger than hard copy as the music industry shows.

Last but not least if your wandering about 2007 music comparison

CD singles 2007       =  27,000,000

Download singles 2007 = 800,000,000

All RIAA figures.

Wii is winning in the US, not the 360...

Now, if we talk about the HD console war, 360 doesn't have a strong gap yet, the PS3 could shorten that and either pass it or be close enough, or the 360 could use more moves to ensure that the PS3 doesn't come close...

The only fact that we get, is that right now in the US Wii is 1st, 360 is 2nd and PS3 is 3rd, the future is unknown...

Around the Network

Focus on gaining money so we can get better games and deals, and forget about the war, that will make ps3 owners happy, because is they manage to gain money with the console the sales will gain because thay will have more money to spend on ads, tv ads, and even better games, exclusive deals with third party compannis ect.

The reality is that we are now three years into this generation. I am sorry PS3 loyalists, but your team showed up late to the game. That had its advantages and disadvantages. They let Microsoft have a head start so they could bring a more powerful machine to market. They opted for strength over speed. That said a generation is typically five to six years long. So with all the consoles on the same field of play we can say the generation is half over now.

That means the trends are established, and not particularly likely to have massive swings in sales values. That means in North America the contest really is settled between the high definition consoles. Microsoft has outsold the PS3 by two to one, and has a lead of very nearly seven million. Further more the 360 is outselling the PS3 as we speak. So if we assume that the rest of this year pans out. The PS3 will need to outsell the 360 by a two to one margin for over three years just to tie out. Most rational posters agree that is not realistic.

For the PS3 to have any chance of usurping the 360s position a number of unlikely things must occur. Sony must drastically reduce their price. The Wii must collapse thus freeing up the off gamer group. The 360 must develop a stigma far worse then the ring of death. These things all need to happen for the PS3 to crawl ahead of the 360 before the generation comes to a close. That is less then a one percent possibility so 360 will defeat Sony in North America that is a fact.

The only accomplishment that should matter to Sony in North America is their percentage of market share. Right now they comprise less then eighteen percent of the console market, and they comprise sixteen percent of software sales in regards to the PS3. Those numbers must be maintained, and they most certainly cannot afford to slip. Retailers have a limit to their tolerance, and more to the point performance in the previous generation dictates where you start in the next generation.

Right now the PS3 is performing on par with the original Xbox and its truncated life span, and the GameCube. What should terrify any loyalist is that the PS3 can actually go comparatively lower. This past week the PS3 carried just a little over thirteen percent of the market, and with a poor economy on the card through the new year the PS3 may dance around ten percent. No the question is not whether the console can win. The question is can Sony get through this generation with their skin intact.

You will have a hard time convincing a retailer to give your next console a star billing if your previous carried less then fifteen percent of the previous generations market. The default logic is that you should get less then fifteen percent of shelf space. A great many of you are right when you say it isn't over yet. Right now Sony would be happy to have it over. The way things are going it could actually get much worse for them.

Pristine20 said:
taomaster06 said:
anything can happen and if this gen is supposed to be 10 years then we have a long way to go. th main reason sony is not doing well is because they dont have the games. For the last 2 years the 360 has had the best line up.

1. This gen won't be 10 years

2. Sony has the games. That excuse is old

3. Miracles are unrealistic. If sony drops the ps3 to $100, M$ will give the 360 away for free just to "win"

Actually your both wrong...that part is opinion based, some people would rather be playing Gears & Fable, some would rather be playing MGS & LBP...

Hyruken said:
Every competition has to have a loser and this gens is the PS3. This doesnt make it crap. How many people owned a Gamecube or a Dreamcast and loved them? I did. In fact Shenmue was one of my top 5 all time fav games on DC.
The PS3 joins a good group of consoles that had a few good games but ultimatly was rejected by the world :(

SLAP america isn't the world.

AND What the hell.. the ps3 is one of the most awesome consoles ever with some of the best games, not to mention it has not been rejected by the world. It's simply far too expensive for the average person in many countries right now.

Check out my game about moles ^

Hyruken said:
Every competition has to have a loser and this gens is the PS3. This doesnt make it crap. How many people owned a Gamecube or a Dreamcast and loved them? I did. In fact Shenmue was one of my top 5 all time fav games on DC.
The PS3 joins a good group of consoles that had a few good games but ultimatly was rejected by the world :(

well ive gotta say thats one of the lamest comments ive ever read on vgchartz.

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...