By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The Sony brand loyalty arguement: give it a rest.

So a company that has sold over 200 million consoles over the last 12 years doesn't have a better name recognition than a company that sold a mere 25 million last gen?

Around the Network

Ok. In real life "brand loyalty" doesn't exist. It's only marketing men speaking (and even they swich the instant it fits them better).
It's about brand recognition. Phoenix Wiight said he's brand loyal, but despite what he claimed to be, he contradicted himself in the same centence by mentioning the games being the reason for his loyalty (so it wasn't the brand itself, but how he recognizes the brand).

Basically the OP was saying Sonys pre-PS3 PR BS, it will sell millions without games and people will get second jobs to buy PS3, when people just recognized the Playstation brand for the games they wanted to play.
Brand recognition is, that when you have two (or more) similar products, you'll be able to charge premium and still sell better than your competitor.

@coolestguyever: So 3M+ jumped away?

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Console Brand loyalty is crap. Game loyalty though isn't. Game loyalty is what defined (as in minus the new casual Wii crowd) a majority of who bought which console first.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

WarmachineX said:
Nice post. I pretty much agree; I go where my games go.

This is my point exactly. Most Microsoft owners understand the lack of need to be loyal to Microsoft and focus on the games. It's the Sony fanboys who actually believe Sony gives a damn about them. This is free market society and I follow the games like this wise fellow said. Brand names are just a barrier.

dharh said:
Console Brand loyalty is crap. Game loyalty though isn't. Game loyalty is what defined (as in minus the new casual Wii crowd) a majority of who bought which console first.

Thank god you're here! I only wished there were more people that think like us...! >_>

Random game thought :
Why is Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 getting so much hate? We finally get a real game and they're not even satisfied... I'm starting to hate the gaming community so f****** much...

Watch my insane gameplay videos on my YouTube page!

Around the Network
Doh! said:
So a company that has sold over 200 million consoles over the last 12 years doesn't have a better name recognition than a company that sold a mere 25 million last gen?

Are you young or too dumb to realise that Nintendo has been around for more then two gens? This is not the first time Nintendo has won a console war. It's the third.

KatinJin said:
Yea even Pachter has slacked off as of late.

Actually Coca-Cola is the number one most recognized brand in the whole world and Nike comes second. I don't know where Sony/Playstation stands.

Gnizmo said:
Ironically this arguement was originally put forth by PS3 fanboys for the reason why it would eventally dominate. Funny how these things seem to loop back around on us. I can't wait for the next generation to start so it can go full circle back to being the reason the PS4 (and probably the Wii successor) will dominate the generation.

Sony fanboys have a loyalty that is unhealthy. Nintendo fanboys are much healthier even though I dont condone fanboyism.

SHMUPGurus said:
dharh said:

Thank god you're here! I only wished there were more people that think like us here... >_>

IMO, I think Sony has more dedicated fans  than Nintendo or Microsoft. Microsoft could've gained more than Sony but the RROD issue cut into that. The Wii isn't really pulling any dedicated gamers in, the only hardcore gamers buying the Wii are the ones that would buy the next Nintendo console anyways, although there are 'some' hardcore gamers that still buy all nex-gen consoles.

Gnizmo said:
Ironically this arguement was originally put forth by PS3 fanboys for the reason why it would eventally dominate. Funny how these things seem to loop back around on us. I can't wait for the next generation to start so it can go full circle back to being the reason the PS4 (and probably the Wii successor) will dominate the generation.

the 360 successor will dominate the market...