By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The Sony brand loyalty arguement: give it a rest.

I'm loyal to Nintendo, but that's different. they actually have first party games. And I'm a fanboy. Odds are when the next best console comes around, say its the PS4 vs. the xboxWHATEVA, and the PS4 is the dominant one, all the 360 fanboys are going to run off to the PS4 and forget about the 360.

hell. even if Nintendo doesn't have the biggest base of core gamers, it'll atleast keep those people while the fanboys for other consoles are going to abandon ship eventually.

Around the Network
Snarf Barf said:
You always hear people say: "I can't believe Sony is losing this gen even with all the brand name recognition/loyalty they have/had"....... Some things I'd like to point out: For starters, Sony has a bad rap just as much as they have a good rap as far as quality electronics go....... Second, gamers by and large are not all that loyal. Nintendo took over from Atari and dominated the early 80's and early 90's. Then Genesis (Mega Drive) cut sharply into the SNES in the US. Most gamers didn't care about being "loyal" to Nintendo when it was PS1 Vs. N64 or PS2 Vs. Gamecube. And where did brand name get Sega? And what about Microsoft? That's a pretty damn big name if you ask me. Microsoft is worth like 6X what Sony is and yet for the money they spend they did not win last gen and they will not win this gen either.The Wii is currently dominating for one main reason: It distinguished itself from the competition. Nintendo is back on top because they had a different strategy going in. It has nothing to do with Nintendo "loyalists". Sony's console is selling well considering its price. Some may be shocked that a $600 PS3 didn't sell as well as a $250 Wii while competing with the 360 which had a year head start. I'm not shocked though because I know that no console company has been #1 more then 2 gens in a row and I would make no assumptions about which company will will the next generation battle.

Well, Sony is doing well in Europe because of brand recognition. There are the folks over there who aren't concerned about the price, only that it's the new PlayStation. *shrugs*

The BuShA owns all!

Phoenix_Wiight said:
I'm loyal to Nintendo, but that's different. they actually have first party games. And I'm a fanboy. Odds are when the next best console comes around, say its the PS4 vs. the xboxWHATEVA, and the PS4 is the dominant one, all the 360 fanboys are going to run off to the PS4 and forget about the 360.

hell. even if Nintendo doesn't have the biggest base of core gamers, it'll atleast keep those people while the fanboys for other consoles are going to abandon ship eventually.

"TEH PLAYSTATION 3 XBOX HAS A TEN ELEVEN YEAR AND 1 DAY PLAN"

lmao i couldnt resist.

Can we still use the 'Sony brand overpromises' excuse? 'Cause I still hear people say that when developers finally tap in to the full potential of the PS3, the graphics will be indistinguishable from real life.

Proud member of the Mega Mario Movement

Warrior of Light

Games are where it's at. The PS3 has some great games.....(now). But while I was on the fence, the PS3 just didnt have the price or games I wanted. It had nothing to do with brand loyalty, I love(d) my PS2. But MS did a lot of things right this gen and has won me over, hands down. That may change next gen, we shall see.

Around the Network

Pffftt... Brand Loyalty didn't help the N64 and GameCube rise to spot number 1...

4 ≈ One

Phoenix_Wiight said:

Call me crazy, but I'm pretty sure that Sony has some first party games.  I could be wrong though, who knows.  S

Phoenix_Wiight said:

Call me crazy, but I'm pretty sure that Sony has some first party games.  I could be wrong though, who knows.  Sony could have ridden the wave of good feelings toward Sony, but they screwed up the most important thing: Price.  If the next Nintendo console debuts at 600 bucks, I'd love to see this super loyal Ninty fanbase show up.  Marios not that important.

Phoenix_Wiight said:

Sorrry for double post.

NYANKS said:
Phoenix_Wiight said:

Call me crazy, but I'm pretty sure that Sony has some first party games.  I could be wrong though, who knows.  Sony could have ridden the wave of good feelings toward Sony, but they screwed up the most important thing: Price.  If the next Nintendo console debuts at 600 bucks, I'd love to see this super loyal Ninty fanbase show up.  Marios not that important.

ya, price was a huge factor. i'd struggle to buy my nintendo console for that much money... I'm a little fuzzy on the definiton of first party games anyway. I meant games that could only and would only be on a Nintendo console.