By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The Sony brand loyalty arguement: give it a rest.

A_C_E said:
SHMUPGurus said:
dharh said:
Console Brand loyalty is crap. Game loyalty though isn't. Game loyalty is what defined (as in minus the new casual Wii crowd) a majority of who bought which console first.

Thank god you're here! I only wished there were more people that think like us here... >_>

IMO, I think Sony has more dedicated fans  than Nintendo or Microsoft. Microsoft could've gained more than Sony but the RROD issue cut into that. The Wii isn't really pulling any dedicated gamers in, the only hardcore gamers buying the Wii are the ones that would buy the next Nintendo console anyways, although there are 'some' hardcore gamers that still buy all nex-gen consoles.

But seriously, I didn't buy a Sony PlayStation 3 for the name, I especially bought it for Metal Gear Solid 4. It turned out that I found some new love with Uncharted, and I'm sure LittleBigPlanet and Resistance 2 will be the same when I get them both this Christmas. This ''only made possible on PlayStation 3'' or ''only on Xbox Live'' crap is just stupid and needs to stop.

Random game thought :
Why is Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 getting so much hate? We finally get a real game and they're not even satisfied... I'm starting to hate the gaming community so f****** much...

Watch my insane gameplay videos on my YouTube page!

Around the Network
Snarf Barf said:
You always hear people say: "I can't believe Sony is losing this gen even with all the brand name recognition/loyalty they have/had"....... Some things I'd like to point out: For starters, Sony has a bad rap just as much as they have a good rap as far as quality electronics go....... Second, gamers by and large are not all that loyal. Nintendo took over from Atari and dominated the early 80's and early 90's. Then Genesis (Mega Drive) cut sharply into the SNES in the US. Most gamers didn't care about being "loyal" to Nintendo when it was PS1 Vs. N64 or PS2 Vs. Gamecube. And where did brand name get Sega? And what about Microsoft? That's a pretty damn big name if you ask me. Microsoft is worth like 6X what Sony is and yet for the money they spend they did not win last gen and they will not win this gen either.The Wii is currently dominating for one main reason: It distinguished itself from the competition. Nintendo is back on top because they had a different strategy going in. It has nothing to do with Nintendo "loyalists". Sony's console is selling well considering its price. Some may be shocked that a $600 PS3 didn't sell as well as a $250 Wii while competing with the 360 which had a year head start. I'm not shocked though because I know that no console company has been #1 more then 2 gens in a row and I would make no assumptions about which company will will the next generation battle.

brand loyalty is real, i don't see how you can deny it.  Sure fans won't follow everything the company does no matter what but there is no other way you can explain how PS3 has even gotten as far as it has.  How come sales in Europe for PS3 are so different from NA when 360 has most of the same games and is half the price?  How come the PS2 took off before it even had many good games?  It has to do with history, the playstation brand has made it huge in europe, while in NA you can still see the effects of Nintendo dominating the first 2 gens.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

SHMUPGurus said:
A_C_E said:
SHMUPGurus said:
dharh said:
Console Brand loyalty is crap. Game loyalty though isn't. Game loyalty is what defined (as in minus the new casual Wii crowd) a majority of who bought which console first.

Thank god you're here! I only wished there were more people that think like us here... >_>

IMO, I think Sony has more dedicated fans  than Nintendo or Microsoft. Microsoft could've gained more than Sony but the RROD issue cut into that. The Wii isn't really pulling any dedicated gamers in, the only hardcore gamers buying the Wii are the ones that would buy the next Nintendo console anyways, although there are 'some' hardcore gamers that still buy all nex-gen consoles.

But seriously, I didn't buy a Sony PlayStation 3 for the name, I especially bought it for Metal Gear Solid 4. It turned out that I found some new love with Uncharted, and I'm sure LittleBigPlanet and Resistance 2 will be the same when I get them both this Christmas. This ''only made possible on PlayStation 3'' or ''only on Xbox Live'' crap is just stupid and needs to stop.

But you know that system will output great games and have great media functionalities. I bet that if people had to pick which console they had to own before this generation started with no info on the consoles yet then they would most likely go with Playstation. But that's just an obvious guess.

Sony brand loyalty is still EXTREMELY strong

That is how u explain the good PS3 sales despite the price

no need to say more

Time to Work !

A_C_E said:
SHMUPGurus said:
dharh said:

That has nothing to do with the real issue. Microsoft is an American company, which is the first rule of bias in the videogame world. Second of all comes their bad monopolistic reputation (Not like Sony doesn't have one either...but heh, they're Japanese). Microsoft is damned by the Sony loyalist for doing the exact same Sony did, as if it were a crime. RROD has very little do with why they don't have loyalists. That issue of RROD has everything to do why they don't have as many buyers as we speak, but nothing to do with loyalty. Many people who have a 360 exclusively know very well what they are dealing with in Microsoft. Sony used the videogame industry (Thanks to Kutaragi) to save their asses from falling into obscurity from competitors in the electronics world and gather marketshare. Microsoft went into the videogame industry strong and already a borderline monopoly. Sony and Microsoft are no different in their undying quest to monopolize everything they touch despite competition. No doubt logically Microsoft is the stronger company and monitarily. You just cannot give them time to regroup and think of a plan. The difference between Sony and Microsoft is that Sony demands loyalty when they don't deserve it and Microsoft is newer to the game so they are more willing to shellout cash to get games on their side. They are also more willing to acquire devs.

Around the Network

well, as far as brand loyalty goes... both me and my wife look for and (usually) buy sony products. last night we went to circuit city and bought a new 46 inch sony lcd hdtv. this is even though we already have a sony lcd hdtv, that one is 40 inch. oh, plus the salesman tried so much to sell us a samasung. to be honest, so many of our electronics are sony. we have never had a problem with any sony product. also, we have never even purchased an extended warranty, always been fortunate with sony. i do know my 360 elite is a noisy a$$, monster. actually it has pretty much been that way from day one. our ps3 is super quiet and runs real smooth. I could only imagine if we gave our 360 the same amount of attention, we'd probably have some sort of problem such as the rrod, or whatever. although, sony does rely on their brand name a bit too much, we find all of their products both reliable and a sound investment.

The RROD did take away from possible Xbox loyalists, imo. It's all about image and 360 doesn't have a good one lol. The 360 is an awesome machine and I enjoy every minute on it. What I don't get is why the 360 can't just rape the PS3 in sales, I mean sure MS is an american company but it's got all these great awesome games and better online and better controller and better multiplatform games and for much much cheaper as well. Guess what, it's gonna get outsold this year by the PS3, why? Because it's a 'playstation'.

monsterone said:
well, as far as brand loyalty goes... both me and my wife look for and (usually) buy sony products. last night we went to circuit city and bought a new 46 inch sony lcd hdtv. this is even though we already have a sony lcd hdtv, that one is 40 inch. oh, plus the salesman tried so much to sell us a samasung. to be honest, so many of our electronics are sony. we have never had a problem with any sony product. also, we have never even purchased an extended warranty, always been fortunate with sony. i do know my 360 elite is a noisy a$$, monster. actually it has pretty much been that way from day one. our ps3 is super quiet and runs real smooth. I could only imagine if we gave our 360 the same amount of attention, we'd probably have some sort of problem such as the rrod, or whatever. although, sony does rely on their brand name a bit too much, we find all of their products both reliable and a sound investment.

Actually...Samsung is superior to Sony in the electronics department. Everything from Cell phones to TV's actually.

A_C_E said:
The RROD did take away from possible Xbox loyalists, imo. It's all about image and 360 doesn't have a good one lol. The 360 is an awesome machine and I enjoy every minute on it. What I don't get is why the 360 can't just rape the PS3 in sales, I mean sure MS is an american company but it's got all these great awesome games and better online and better controller and better multiplatform games and for much much cheaper as well. Guess what, it's gonna get outsold this year by the PS3, why? Because it's a 'playstation'.

Microsoft isn't a true electronics company. It's a software company so expectations should never be as high for a hardware from Microsoft compared to Sony. No one would know that technologically the Xbox was superior to the PS2 as far as hardware and quality, but that didn't matter did it? No. It was Sony and they had monopolized all of the 3rd party titles. Microsoft can't do it either. They must find their own games. This has nothing to do with quality. It has everything to do with the fact that people cant see an American company surviving in the Japanese dominated videogame world. That is the truth.

actually, i am aware of samsungs recent standards in technology. they are doing great for themselves. i am a sony loyalist because of my history with them. no problems ever! i have bought many high-end to low-end sony products, and i have never been disapointed. actually