By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - On Sony closing the gap in 2009....

nightsurge said:
Oyvoyvoyv, you only argued points that I already mentioned. What you were using for your attach rate, was very off, though. That is all I was trying to show. The correct attach rate when comparing the first 1-2 years of either console shows:
PS3: 5.3
X360: 6.6

And those are the official estimates. I'd assume they are much more reliable and accurate than your briefly thought out, flawed concept numbers you had.

May I have a link? Would be interesting to see if VGChartz was really undertracking X360's first 2 year of software by 19M. I doubt you are correct, but still, please provide a link to your claims.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

Around the Network
Sardauk said:

A lot of PS3 users have an opinion on how Sony could close the gap on the install base (...ok nice), but nothing on the poor sales figures for the games and online content.

ps3 doesnt have poor sales figures at all, you are lieing............

when you look at EU where install bases are similar, u will find ps3 has shifted more software in a shorter time, its just ps3 owners buying trends are different to 360 buying trends.

for example, im thinking of buying socom on 28th instead of resistance 2, il pick R2 up next year. <--------- thats a good example of a different buying trend compared to 360, where most 360 owners would just buy gears 2 strait away full stop, if u know what i mean.

360 total EU to date: 1,377,993 30,257,578 3.54
PS3 total EU to date: 1,151,512 31,863,158 4.03

^although table is only rough estimate, it shows that ps3 doesnt have poor software sales, as u are trying to bubble out.

regarding online content, well im happy with the psn online content theres much to choose from, 360 has more content but with 16 months head start its bound to have.

bottom line is, if it wasnt for drastic 360 price cuts, 360 would have sagged behind big-time, and i would have guess mid-2009 ps3 would have caught up(was my original prediction). but since price cuts on 360 it will be much harder for ps3 now.

its almost amazing that ps3 is tracking very strongly currently at its current price point, would 360 be selling this much if it was at ps3`s price point? no way it would be impossible i dont think 360 would have even hit 100k total worldwide weekly. what that tells me is gamer demand is for ps3 and not 360.

i predict before mid-2009 ps3 will have major price cuts, a £249 ps3 will outsell a £129-£169-£199 360. and if final fantasy 13 and gran turismo make it out in 2009, then fall 2009, i can picture ps3 level with 360. if not then certainly edged ahead.

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

I would like to congratulate some of you for being more than fanboys! If i didn't know better I would swear you were employed by either Sony or M$. Cheers! Since you guys work for either of those 2 and are obviously paid well you can buy the drinks. :D

"If you've got them by the balls their hearts and minds will follow."

Quote by- The Imortal John Wayne, the original BADASS!

@ Sardauk

but nothing on the poor sales figures for the games and online content.

Could we talk about that for a change ??????

That's a misconception, overall PS3 owners buy just as many games for the PS3 as 360 owners buy games for the 360 per user per month.

The average PS3 owner owns his PS3 for a shorter period of time than a 360 owner. Just take note of the enormous year over year hardware sales increases the PS3 enjoyed. In addition to full price PS3 games I bought many more PSN games as well as a few PS2 games, so this may well be the case for others as well and in addition there are more budget games available for the 360 for a now much longer period of time.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Oyvoyvoyv said:
nightsurge said:
Oyvoyvoyv, you only argued points that I already mentioned. What you were using for your attach rate, was very off, though. That is all I was trying to show. The correct attach rate when comparing the first 1-2 years of either console shows:
PS3: 5.3
X360: 6.6

And those are the official estimates. I'd assume they are much more reliable and accurate than your briefly thought out, flawed concept numbers you had.

May I have a link? Would be interesting to see if VGChartz was really undertracking X360's first 2 year of software by 19M. I doubt you are correct, but still, please provide a link to your claims.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/153419/software_attach_rates_for_xbox_360_ps3_wii_calculated.html

From the article:
"If you think raw software sales trump all, Microsoft has around 126 million total in the U.S. versus 96 million for the Wii so far this year."

So your sales numbers for this year alone are way off.

There ya go.  Now good day.

Around the Network

IMO the ps3 will never outsale xbox360 as long as there are no 8th gen xbox coming out

Proud owner of a Wii, a Xbox360 and a PS3 (...two PS3's...)

My main brawl characters

Now playing:

wii:Super smash bros. brawl, The Legend Of Zelda: Twilight Princess
ps3: Guitar hero 3,4,5. Rock Band 1,2. Resistance 2
Xbox360:Nhl2k9, Mass Effect, MW2, Halo 3.

MontanaHatchet said:

"I would say that the sales of the PS3 are still driven by the BR users... not the players."

Oh my goodness, isn't this cliche dead yet? This link alone shows that you can buy a Blu-ray player for half the price of a PS3, so why would anyone searching for a player pay twice as much? That is, unless they wanted to play games on it as well.

The perfect HD experience as they promote it now my dear..

so refrain your statement, thanks!

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

DMeisterJ said:
gebx said:
Oh, I see how this works...

The Blu Ray is the PS3's biggest features... but its not a reason for why its selling.

So all the "PS3 is of better value cause of the Blu Ray" threads/statements/replies are all BS.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying its the ONLY reason. I'm saying its the only thing that differentiates the PS3 from the 360 other then the price.

Good Reverse troll, but you can do better.

Is LBP so boring that you spend your whole time stalking me on these forums?

My point is that the only reason why the PS3 is selling so well at such a high cost is BECAUSE of the added value Blu Ray player. No one would spend $400 on a console that plays the same games as the $199 console.

PS - You're a Fanboy!

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

kirby007 said:
MontanaHatchet said:

"I would say that the sales of the PS3 are still driven by the BR users... not the players."

Oh my goodness, isn't this cliche dead yet? This link alone shows that you can buy a Blu-ray player for half the price of a PS3, so why would anyone searching for a player pay twice as much? That is, unless they wanted to play games on it as well.

The perfect HD experience as they promote it now my dear..

so refrain your statement, thanks!

...What?

kowenicki said:
damndl0ser said:

I bought my PS3 mainly for the Blu-ray.  I am a gamer at heart so I thought it was a no brainer to go ahead and pay a little more for the PS3.  The problem being I have never bought a game for the PS3 yet.  I have rented all of the top ones but none have cooersed me into a purchase.  And I think it is mainly due to the fact that around 10 of my real life friends own a 360 and I get on live with them every night for a few hours.  

IMO live is the real reason the PS3 will never overtake the 360.  

I am in exactly the same position and would say exactly the same.

Honestly wow, WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN XBOX LIVE AND PLAYSTATION NETWORK.

GIVE ME ONE

mM