By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - On Sony closing the gap in 2009....

PS3 being sold because of BR? Failure.

Though I do agree that the gap will not be closed in 2009. Microsoft threw a huge curveball with the double EU price cut this year, and the firesale/price cut KOMBOBREAKER in America, and stronger than usual JP sales. Looks like PS3 may not overtake it to 2010 at the earliest. That is unless next year PS3 does the same KOMBO BREAKER and do price cuts around the globe and get some games pronto...

So who knows.

Around the Network

i agree with everyone else who commented on Bluray being the only reason for PS3 sales - fail.

if MS maintains their aggressive pricing along with releasing quality titles and timed third party exclusives then they might hold Sony off until MS releases their next console (not to be confused with the life time of the 360 which is apparently going to be one day after Sony's PS3).

Sony has to join the band wagon and cut their price a bit more and get GT5 and GoW3 (and any other AAA exclusive) out the damn door!

I think it's never going to happen. From riches to rags.

Sardauk said:

On the games figures !!!!!!! Read for heaven's sake !!

... I give up.

Wise. (No point reasoning with certain people that don't want to hear it)

Anyway, I think PS3 game sales are fine, when they push out more consoles, I'm sure they'll sell more games.

I think the only thing Sony should be concerned about right now is pushing consoles out the door (even if it is at a loss). It's more important that they have an install base then turning a profit, because what's carried them for the past 2 generations is people buying the console, their friends/family/randoms enjoying it aswell, and then they buy it so that a) they can enjoy it aswell or b) share controllers/games.

If Sony doesn't prioritise unit numbers over profit figures, they'll definitively lose that natural progression (buying the new console from the same company. You know it happens, that'd explain diehard fanboys). They've got CELL (which I assume can be upgraded and carried over) and Blu-ray for the PS4, and that's what they should be focusing on: what the PS3's strategy is doing to that console's (PS4's) chances.

Went a bit off-topic, but it leads into my original point, they sell more consoles, they'll sell more games. Look at the Wii, it's attach rate isn't huge (at least not 360 big) but it's definitely got the higher selling games (thanks to the 14+ million more Wii's out there).

Just to get a few facts in.

2008 sales so far.

Ps3: 52.9M

X360: 72M

Average console userbase (not really, I took in the middle of current and start)

Ps3: 12.9M

X360: 19.25M

Average games pr console:

Ps3: 4.1

X360: 3.75 games

Conclusion: People are buying X360s to use them as HD-DVDs only.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

Around the Network
CAL4M1TY said:

Went a bit off-topic, but it leads into my original point, they sell more consoles, they'll sell more games. Look at the Wii, it's attach rate isn't huge (at least not 360 big) but it's definitely got the higher selling games (thanks to the 14+ million more Wii's out there).

Just a little side note about the Wii's attach rate, at two years in it's at 5.09 so just a bit higher than 360.

Signature goes here!

Why are you taking an average console userbase? If you are using the total 2008 game sales, you have to use the total 2008 console sales:

Using your game figures:

Ps3: 52.9M
X360: 72M

And the 2008 console sales:
PS3: 7,976,128
X360: 6,835,100

So the average games per console sold for 2008:
PS3: 6.6
X360: 10.5

Now obviously that shows a bit skewed since the 360 has a larger user base, so we'd have to use lifetime sales of both games and consoles and the new average games per console sold is:
PS3: ~5.4
X360: ~8.1

And since each new multi-plat game sells better on the 360 than the PS3 and a plethora of exclusives coming for each in 2009 (of which 360 exclusives sell better than PS3 exclusives as seen from the past), I find that this ratio gap will not be closing anytime soon.

kowenicki said:
damndl0ser said:

I bought my PS3 mainly for the Blu-ray.  I am a gamer at heart so I thought it was a no brainer to go ahead and pay a little more for the PS3.  The problem being I have never bought a game for the PS3 yet.  I have rented all of the top ones but none have cooersed me into a purchase.  And I think it is mainly due to the fact that around 10 of my real life friends own a 360 and I get on live with them every night for a few hours.  

IMO live is the real reason the PS3 will never overtake the 360.  

I am in exactly the same position and would say exactly the same.

This.

haxxiy said:
http://www.vgchartz.com/weekly.php?date=39404&console=&maker=&boxartz=1

X360 attach ratio as of 11/16/07: 5.05
PS3 attach ratio as of 11/08/08: 5.04

:D

Oh lookie here! A couple weeks worth of PS3 date erases history!

Same situation for me as well.  I'm a PS360 owner, but all my PS3 does is gather dust or play Blu-Rays every now and then, which may stop with my new Netflix subscription and Xbox update.  Hopefully Killzone 2 may change that.