By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - On Sony closing the gap in 2009....

MikeB said:

@ Darc Requiem

The 360's lead over the PS3 was 5.5 million when the PS3 launched and now its 5.9 million.

Regarding known sales figures (financial sales data) the gap by Dec 2006 was 8.72 million units (before the PS3 launched in Europe), so just before the PS3's European launch it was probably near 9 million.

By September 2008 the gap was 5.66 million, but the PS3 is still to officially launch in various countries where the 360 has already been on the market since years ago.

The 360 is now being sold here for only 149 Euro together with a game and memory card, certainly the entry price cannot drop much further and all important XBox games have already seen 360 sequels, so the pool of remaining upgrading XBox fans will likely be very thin for next year.

The PS3 launched November 11, 2006. As of that date the 360 had sold 5.53 million consoles. I looked it up before I made my initial post. Here is the link below.

http://vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=&reg1=------&cons2=&reg2=------&cons3=X360&reg3=All&start=38662&end=39033&weekly=1

The PS3 is currently 5.9 million units behind the 360 as of the current numbers on the front page. It's farther behind now than when it launched. You're cherry picking to try and make the PS3's situation look better than it is.

Around the Network

Well, by definition of "many" it can mean dozens, or hundreds, or thousands, or millions, given the context. From my use, I would probably say thousands to hundreds of thousands, with many, many more left to jump ship as they realize that the 360 has the best games and the lowest price tag.

And unlike this generation, most Xbox owners last generation did not own a PS3 or Gamecube. Last generation, most people chose 1 and stuck with it. This generation is where most people are making decisions and deciding to go with 2 consoles. I myself have a PS360, I had a PSWii60, but since there was NOTHING to play on the Wii past the few early games, I sold it. Now, I just don't buy the PS3 games. I rent to big exclusives, but so far none of those have even lasted more than a week in my PS3. All the multi-plat games, I get the 360 version, as does the majority of HD gamers. I am looking forward to Killzone 2 to give me something good from a PS3 online multiplayer experience, and I may pick up LBP at some point when I am not being stampeded by great games for the 360.

Everyone seems to forget that this generation has only cracked about 1/3 of the total gamers from last generation. And with the new price point, the 360 is appealing to many of those that had not made the switch yet and do not want to wait for the PS3 to drop down to $200 (in another 2 years =p).

Darc Requiem said:
MikeB said:

@ Darc Requiem

The 360's lead over the PS3 was 5.5 million when the PS3 launched and now its 5.9 million.

Regarding known sales figures (financial sales data) the gap by Dec 2006 was 8.72 million units (before the PS3 launched in Europe), so just before the PS3's European launch it was probably near 9 million.

By September 2008 the gap was 5.66 million, but the PS3 is still to officially launch in various countries where the 360 has already been on the market since years ago.

The 360 is now being sold here for only 149 Euro together with a game and memory card, certainly the entry price cannot drop much further and all important XBox games have already seen 360 sequels, so the pool of remaining upgrading XBox fans will likely be very thin for next year.

The PS3 launched November 11, 2006. As of that date the 360 had sold 5.53 million consoles. I looked it up before I made my initial post. Here is the link below.

http://vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=®1=------&cons2=®2=------&cons3=X360®3=All&start=38662&end=39033&weekly=1

The PS3 is currently 5.9 million units behind the 360 as of the current numbers on the front page. It's farther behind now than when it launched. You're cherry picking to try and make the PS3's situation look better than it is.

then the Ps3 is doing just as good as the Ps2 in its same point in lifetime.

Max King of the Wild said:
Darc Requiem said:
MikeB said:

@ Darc Requiem

http://vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=®1=------&cons2=®2=------&cons3=X360®3=All&start=38662&end=39033&weekly=1

Actually PS3 is now 6.04 million behind 360. Soon to 6.19 mill with next weeks numbers.

Darc Requiem said:
MikeB said:

@ Darc Requiem

haha a console 2x the price is behind 400k since launch? lol good console there :D since 360 pricecut it has outsold the ps3 by 400k.

Around the Network
Darc Requiem said:
MikeB said:

@ Darc Requiem

Wahh? Ps2 was released in Japan April, October in NA, November Others

00 sales: 5.9M

Ps3 launched in November WW, and sold

06: 1.36M

Okay, we'll ignore that. This gives a decent advantage to the Ps3. This outdoes the late Others launch (which isn't as big a case anyway, as Ps3 almost gained it all up in launch week).

01 sales: 16534K

07 sales: 7929K

02 sales (as far in as Ps3 is now): 13344K

08 sales (this far): 8033K

This is just as big a difference as Wii vs X360 (well, Wii vs 360 or Ps3 is actually slightly bigger).

And no, giving that graph that causes all these misconceptions isn't going to help

PS: If my way of doing this is flawed, please tell me so I won't do it again.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

This gen is a roller coaster XD.
I Say patience...

Patience?

.......MEtal gear?

SNAKE SNAKE SNAAAAAKE!

Aldro going from first to last is not doing well. Sony fans need to accept reality and enjoy their console. As long as you enjoy the games on the console you own, how well it sells shouldn't matter to you. The SNES era was the last time my favorite console took first place. It hasn't stopped me from enjoying gaming.

The Playstation division is one of the most important parts of Sony. It isn't going anywhere anytime soon. You are going to get software on the PS3 platform for another three and possibly four years. This isn't a Dreamcast situation.

Guys! Guys! Guys!

It doesn't matter if the PS3 beats the 360 or the 360 beats the PS3.

Your both losers either way.

Wow... can't believe no one picked up on what I said yet....