By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - On Sony closing the gap in 2009....

Max King of the Wild said:
auxerre said:

though I don't know if you cant download while watching a movie (never tried to but I know you can while playing a game and I dont see the difference) I will say the installs are for people who arent connected to the internet. It's a feature not a negative.

I don't have to be connected to the internet or signed in to play the game demos I download, and they don't have to be installed to do it. So yes, it is a negative.

i have a feeling you didnt know what i was talking about which gives me the feeling you dont know what you are talking about when address the psn.

Explain what you were talking about then.

You have to be connected to the internet to download a demo off of PSN. You can then be offline to play it. That's the same situation as Live, except you don't need to install the game at any point with Live. It's playable as soon as its downloaded, online or off.

I owned a PS3 for three months and I've used PSN extensively. It's a great service for an even better price, but it's no Xbox Live.

LEFT 4 DEAD - November 17th

Around the Network
auxerre said:
auxerre said:

though I don't know if you cant download while watching a movie (never tried to but I know you can while playing a game and I dont see the difference) I will say the installs are for people who arent connected to the internet. It's a feature not a negative.

I don't have to be connected to the internet or signed in to play the game demos I download, and they don't have to be installed to do it. So yes, it is a negative.

i have a feeling you didnt know what i was talking about which gives me the feeling you dont know what you are talking about when address the psn.

Explain what you were talking about then.

You have to be connected to the internet to download a demo off of PSN. You can then be offline to play it. That's the same situation as Live, except you don't need to install the game at any point with Live. It's playable as soon as its downloaded, online or off.

I owned a PS3 for three months and I've used PSN extensively. It's a great service for an even better price, but it's no Xbox Live.

I'm talking about transfering files.

400,000 now. The gap from the 2nd half of the quarter just jumped by 100k.

Tease.

Honestly the fact that fanboys have to keep pushing back the date that "the PS3 will pass the 360" should clue them in on the fact that is not going to happen. The 360's lead over the PS3 was 5.5 million when the PS3 launched and now its 5.9 million. The PS3 has actually lost ground and the longer it stays behind the less time they have to catch the 360.

@ Darc Requiem

The 360's lead over the PS3 was 5.5 million when the PS3 launched and now its 5.9 million.

Regarding known sales figures (financial sales data) the gap by Dec 2006 was 8.72 million units (before the PS3 launched in Europe), so just before the PS3's European launch it was probably near 9 million.

By September 2008 the gap was 5.66 million, but the PS3 is still to officially launch in various countries where the 360 has already been on the market since years ago.

The 360 is now being sold here for only 149 Euro together with a game and memory card, certainly the entry price cannot drop much further and all important XBox games have already seen 360 sequels, so the pool of remaining upgrading XBox fans will likely be very thin for next year.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Around the Network
MikeB said:
@ Darc Requiem

The 360's lead over the PS3 was 5.5 million when the PS3 launched and now its 5.9 million.

Regarding known sales figures (financial sales data) the gap by Dec 2006 was 8.72 million units before the PS3 launched in Europe, just before the PS3's launch it probably was around 9 million.

By September 2008 the gap was 5.66 million, but the PS3 is still to officially launch in various countries where the 360 has already been on the market years ago.

The 360 is now being sold here for 149 Euro together with a game and memory card, certainly the entry price cannot drop much further and all important XBox games have already seen 360 sequels, so the pool of remaining upgrading XBox fans will likely be very thin for next year.

Why do you assume most people who buy 360's are previous xbox owners?  Not all Wii buyers were GC owners. 

Additionally, the larger a console library gets, the less important new releases are to overall sales.  I have a friend who just bought a 360 with Halo 3, which is pretty old.

MikeB said:

@ Darc Requiem

Regarding known sales figures (financial sales data) the gap by Dec 2006 was 8.72 million units (before the PS3 launched in Europe), so just before the PS3's European launch it was probably near 9 million.

By September 2008 the gap was 5.66 million, but the PS3 is still to officially launch in various countries where the 360 has already been on the market since years ago.

The 360 is now being sold here for only 149 Euro together with a game and memory card, certainly the entry price cannot drop much further and all important XBox games have already seen 360 sequels, so the pool of remaining upgrading XBox fans will likely be very thin for next year.

Mikey.. don't forget to tell that the € 149 price is only in the Netherlands and Belgium.. and for a limited time only.. We have a special cashback action.. in the rest of Europe they don't have the cashback action.. So certainly the entry price can drop in the rest of europe..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

@ Ender

Why do you assume people who buy 360's are previous xbox owners?

Not all but probably a vast majority, all XBox games which sold well have seen 360 sequels and the 360 is selling at a similar entry pricing the original XBox sold before leaving the market. Yet the 360 is still to overtake the XBox install base of the last generation despite it was killed off quite suddenly and has seen very little support for 3 years now. Why shouldn't XBox fans upgrade?

Not all Wii buyers were GC owners.

New style of gaming, XBox gaming has largely remained traditional.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

More of this Mike? Many PS2 owners are jumping ship to the 360, many Gamecube owners who were scorned by lack of good games, and then realized the Wii followed suit, jumped ship to the 360. Until such time that the sales change, we can only speculate, which is all you are doing, Mike. The 360 still can drop by $50 USD before it reaches the end pricing of the original Xbox.

Plus, it has many games, it has the factor of "Hey my friend has that, so I'll get one too!", it has the low price factor, it has the social LAN factor. It has many things that the PS3 doesn't. With limited exclusives coming out to the PS3 anytime soon, plus considering that PS3 exclusives have sold very poorly compared with 360 exclusives, I think it is clear that the PS3 will not be catching up when viewing the market as it is right now.

If things happen in the future to change that, they happen then and can be addressed then. Until that day, it's undeniable that the 360 will have the higher selling power for quite a while.

@ nightsurge

More of this Mike? Many PS2 owners are jumping ship to the 360

Many? What do you call many? The PS2 sold 28 million units the last 2 reported fiscal years alone (and a much huger total install base), that's well more than the total 360 install base after its first 3 years on the market.

Of course most XBox owners owned a PS2 as well, maybe many 360 fans will buy a PS3 eventually as well, who knows.

PS3 vs 360 sales