By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will the PS3 hit 11 mil consoles sold by year's end?

Oh man this threads make me tired.

Around the Network

Sony has one crucial factor in its favor this thread hasn't mentioned: HDTV. Sales and affordability of the latter are finally getting close to the mass consumer level. It's one of those seemingly small things which is going to get bigger and bigger every single month, from here on out. Expect lots of bundling from the big retailers this holiday season - rebates on LCD screens when you buy a PS3, things like that. This, combined with all the great games coming out for the PS3, will kick up sales considerably.

mitsuhide said:
@Soriku:
Have you seen Killzone2? Have you seen GT5(i wouldnt say they are real as real life though thats far)? Do you even know what 4d is?

Please tell me that was a joke ... 4D ...!  

SlorgNet said:
Sony has one crucial factor in its favor this thread hasn't mentioned: HDTV. Sales and affordability of the latter are finally getting close to the mass consumer level. It's one of those seemingly small things which is going to get bigger and bigger every single month, from here on out. Expect lots of bundling from the big retailers this holiday season - rebates on LCD screens when you buy a PS3, things like that. This, combined with all the great games coming out for the PS3, will kick up sales considerably.

That bundling strategy is usually used to take something inexpensive and high in demand to sell something that is expensive that is low in demand ... The strategy would typically bundle a $250 Wii to sell a $2000 TV rather than take a $2000 TV to sell a $500 PS3

Around the Network

Taking a median between the known anti-sony and pro-sony people here, I'm going to say between 9-10 million by end of fiscal 07.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

No. It won't. My Sig is best case, I think.

superchunk said:
No. It won't. My Sig is best case, I think.

Unless a miracle happens and every single ps3 is sold out world wide we wont be seeing 10millionps3's sold, though 8million is likely.

mM

4-D graphics (specifically, vertex4[insert type here]) exist in the OpenGL specifications. The PS3 uses OpenGL. Thus, the PS3 has 4d graphics. Although I am not versed in DirectX, I feel I can say with a reasonable degree of confidence that an analogous call exists in it. Can anyone more versed than I am (that is, versed at all) in DirectX [10] confirm or deny this?

In any case, the PS3 does have 4d graphics, and can we *please* stop using this bit of marketing fluff to make arguments either for or against any console?

Please, PLEASE do NOT feed the trolls.
fksumot tag: "Sheik had to become a man to be useful. Or less useful. Might depend if you're bi."

--Predictions--
1) WiiFit will outsell the pokemans.
  Current Status: 2009.01.10 70k till PKMN Yellow (Passed: Emerald, Crystal, FR/LG)

I don't think it will.