By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is it to late for Nintendo to win back the core gamer

retroking1981 said:

Wii Music - Supposedly poor mans Guitar Hero

Regardless of whether you like the concept or not, that is a very poor, and incorrect description of Wii Music.

the2bears - the indie shmup blog
Around the Network

One word: Zelda

LOL

What colour is the xbox?? grey right? So why does it look white in the new aussie commercials?

I think MS knows all its got is hardcore run and gun fans and is looking to poach "casuals" which actually means every other genre fan asides from action / shooters.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

No, its not to late for them to win back core gamers. Next month they will be releasing Rygar. This game won't get much core gamers but it is a start. They will gain a lot of attention from core gamers next year with the releases of Sin and Punishment 2, No More Heroes 2, Punch Out, and the Conduit. So 2009 is when the hardcore fanbase on the Wii will see an increase.

TO GOD BE THE GLORY

Around the Network

2009 is looking better...

Most of us have already bought another console to compensate for Wii's lack of compelling software anyway.
I don't understand how anyone can get by with just a Wii. How long do they expect us to keep playing Mario Kart and Brawl?

If games come out on the Wii that the 'core gamer' wants they'll get them and get a Wii too if they havn't already, but I suspect a large chuck already
has.
IE: It's never too late for the core. Look at xbox last gen.

How could it ever be "too late?" The gamers aren't going anywhere. As long as the games are made, the gamers will buy it. Unless you're expecting all the releases next year to flop, it'll be fine.

The Wii itself brought about a huge change to the industry. It just takes time for the third parties to get their shit together. Remember the DS? The flood of great titles didn't come until after its second year. For reference, Final Fantasy III released on its second birthday. The Wii isn't even two years old yet!

Well, it's never too late to pick up the core gamer.
A lot of core gamers need say 5 games in order to make a system worthwhile. Wii offers a totally unique gaming experience that a lot of core gamers will like. Besides Wii60 or PSWii gives you a very good combination to play almost everything there is.

For example: I know someone that will buy a Wii because House of the Dead: Overkill will be released. Lightgun shooters is a typical core genre that can't be enjoyed on other platforms. Same for point & click. Next year will also see some 7 niche JRPGs that will make lovers of that genre buy a Wii.

I think the only group that won't really be persuaded is the FPS-gamers. Cause those that love better controls play them on a PC.

No, it's not happening.

Nintendo has to want it; they're going to have to actually spend some money on the correct software and more money marketing the Wii to the core gamer. Nintendo is not going to do that, or it would have been done by now. Even if they did, they're not in a realistic position to compete with 360 and PS3 in that regard.

The Wii will never be a viable platform for hardcore gamers, and Nintendo doesn't intend on it being that anyways. I don't know why fans are having so much trouble seeing that.