By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is it to late for Nintendo to win back the core gamer

Yes that is a much better argument Rol

Around the Network

apologies for using the term 'core',  maybe a better phrase to use would have been 'traditional gamer'. The gamer who grew up playing NES > SNES/MD > PS/N64.

puffy said:
Well I think that the impression that people will have of the Wii when all is said and done will be decided in 2009 and 2010..

Next year needs to see some major games and 2010 has to back that up for people to look back on the Wii as one of Nintendo's greatest consoles..

We need a Punchout!! that is an excellent experience, we need a Kid Icarus that s worthy of being a flagship IP, Perhaps that Kirby platformer we keep hearing about? That'd really boost the Wii in Japan.. We need an AWESOME Zelda experience that is not possible on any other platform.. that'll be for 2010 tho ;)

And third parties HAVE TO step up, and I don't see why they wouldn't.. We need The Conduit to kick start a major 3rd party revival, I can see the broad marketing campaign, here in Australia, Mario & Sonic is advertised more than most games out there and SEGA knows how to market a game.. A massive mainstream marketing campaign will cement the FPS genre into the consumers minds by The Conduit followed up by Red Steel 2 and CoD6..

I do believe that if all this happens and I think it will, the Wii will be seen as the true follow up to the PS2 - The console for everyone

If this doesn't happen, if we get another 2008.. I can see the Wii being known as the gimped Nintendo console with waggle..

anyway i think the above is true and maybe should have been my original question in this post. Im getting the feeling it'll be seen as the latter which would be a shame because I think the wii could offer a lot to 'traditional gamers'.

I don't see why the real core gamers would've left in the first place. As my sig shows there are plenty of core games on Wii already and with Punch Out arriving next year (and rumors of Pikmin 3 & Kirby Wii) along with 3rd party titles such as Sin & Punishment 2, MadWorld & The Conduit the Wii is a solid choice for the core gamer.

Manchester United 2008-09 Season - Trophies & Records

Barclays Premier League 2008-09: 1st // UEFA Champions League 2008-09: Finals (Yet To Play) // FIFA Club World Cup: Winners // UEFA Super Cup: Runners-up // FA Cup: Semi-Finals // League (Carling) Cup: Winners // FA (Charity) Community Shield: Winners
Records: First British Team To Win FIFA Club World Cup, New Record for No. Of Consecutive Clean Sheets In Premier League, New English & British League Records for Minutes Without Conceding, New Record For Going Undeafeated In Champions League (25 games ongoing), First British Team To Beat FC Porto In Portugal, First Club To Defeat Arsenal At The Emirates In European Competition, First Team In English League Football History To Win 3 Titles Back To Back On Two Seperate Ocassions

All it takes is good marketing...and a lot of it (and of course a couple of the right types of game).

Problem is 3rd parties are not marketing much on Wii...certainly not in regards to Wii exclusive titles....and Nintendo have focused 95% of their ad budget on casual games...so others are likely to follow what Nintendo do.

If Nintendo wanted to reach out then the obvious thing to do would be agree to put money towards advertising of Sega's mature 09 content.

Release a Black Wii around Feb/March , do a "come to the darkside/paint it black" campaign...and heavily market House of the Dead, Madworld and The Conduit along with it (and when I say heavily I mean throw as much money behind that as they have the likes of Mario Kart and Wii Fit).

The only core gamers who've abandoned the Wii at this point are the ones who don't even bother looking for games. If you're too busy crying that "all Nintendo has for the holidays is Animal Crossing," then you've wasted time you could've spent on Call of Duty: WaW, Deadly Creatures, Monster Lab, Tales of Symphonia, de Blob, World of Goo, Rock Band, Guitar Hero: WT, etc. Keeping in mind that The Conduit and MadWorld are looming close on the horizon. Sin & Punishment 2 and Punch-Out are both coming.

This should really be a dead topic by now. How many times does the argument have to be shown that Nintendo has not actually abandoned anyone?

Around the Network

the problem i see with your thread is that u failed to name any games coming out. ToS2, deadly creatures and monster lab do look to be quite good exclusives although they cant match the hD consoles. looking to 2009 there seems to be more awesome thurdparty exclusives then the the previous 2 years combined. and thats just the ones announced. Plus there are those 10 or so conference games that people seem to ignore. im betting that we see S&P2, trace memory and punch out (go nintendo) to supplement house of the dead, sonic and madworld (go sega!) and possibly fragile and rune factory (yay namco/MMV) and also some gamecube remakes (go coreising the casuals).for the rest of the year we are gunna see great support from these 4 companies as well as others.

PS remember that theres also this little studio called nintendo EAD. its quite good at making games and im betting we see more than just wii sports resort in 2009

and to those expecting wiiseries sequels i really thing resort will be the last one.

nintendo fanboy, but the good kind

proud soldier of nintopia

Whatever term you choose to use for the gamer you're talking about, I don't think it's too late. Nintendo will continue to release their big franchises as they have over the last two years. We will see the franchises we grew up with playing NES, SNES, N64 and GC. And as the Wii continues to sell tremendously, we will see more 3rd party support.

I'll come up with something better eventually...

IMO its too late. At least for me. I am definatly buying Little King's story and Pikmin 3, but unless there is magically a flood of games that is 10 times greater than this years games, my primary console is staying 360 this gen.

never!

it's not too late, yet. but it might be soon. thankfully we have MadWorld, The Conduit and Dead Rising coming early next year, to name a few.