By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is it to late for Nintendo to win back the core gamer

See, this holiday is fine for me, because Ims till backlogged on games to get -

Bully, SMG, SSBB, MK Wii, ro just name a few I have yet to get. The slowdown for the holiday launch gives me a chance to get these games =)

Around the Network

It's never too late to capture the core gamers - they will follow the games.

Also, this must mean "all the core gamers that aren't Nintendo fans" because most of us are already on board! Sometimes I'm tempted to buy another system but it's not really due to the supposed lack of games: Wii gives me more than I can handle. I just want something new and fancy.

Core gamers?

Based on numbers Nintendo already has them

Core gamers?  Already have, there selling more software so they ovousily have a core audiance.

Whiney nerds on the internet?  Now thats the battle....they don't care for.

back?

Around the Network

well, I think, as do a lot of people, that the definition of a core gamer changes

for example, you could be a core Mario gamer, you know, just be really intense about getting every star of whatever the hell people collect in that game,

or, you could be casual about it and just kinda play it 15 min a day

but, when it comes to me, yes, nintendo has lost me as a core gamer EXCEPT on the handheld front where I still really love Fire Emblem/Advanced Wars

Well I think that the impression that people will have of the Wii when all is said and done will be decided in 2009 and 2010..

Next year needs to see some major games and 2010 has to back that up for people to look back on the Wii as one of Nintendo's greatest consoles..

We need a Punchout!! that is an excellent experience, we need a Kid Icarus that s worthy of being a flagship IP, Perhaps that Kirby platformer we keep hearing about? That'd really boost the Wii in Japan.. We need an AWESOME Zelda experience that is not possible on any other platform.. that'll be for 2010 tho ;)

And third parties HAVE TO step up, and I don't see why they wouldn't.. We need The Conduit to kick start a major 3rd party revival, I can see the broad marketing campaign, here in Australia, Mario & Sonic is advertised more than most games out there and SEGA knows how to market a game.. A massive mainstream marketing campaign will cement the FPS genre into the consumers minds by The Conduit followed up by Red Steel 2 and CoD6..

I do believe that if all this happens and I think it will, the Wii will be seen as the true follow up to the PS2 - The console for everyone

If this doesn't happen, if we get another 2008.. I can see the Wii being known as the gimped Nintendo console with waggle..

Obviously next year will hopefully kill the 'waggle' mentality too if developers take advantage of Wii MotionPlus properly.. This may be why KI hasn't been announced yet, or it could be that one year just isn't enough time for Factor 5 :P

Anyway, 2009 will be one of the Wii's defining years.. It's gotten its mass market image into the consumers minds and is sky rocketing towards 100 million units rather quickly..

We'll still see plenty of casual games and the Wii series will continue, most likely with sequels now although I wouldn't mind seeing a Wii World game that is kinda Wii's version of Home but I guess more of an Animal crossing or Sims experience..

So ask the question again at the end of next year and I'll give you your answer

Factor 5 doing killer instinct? Thats a new one on me. Would make sense though.

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

@ peachbuggy

KI = Kid Icarus

Sorry for the confusion

EDIT: @ Rol

What you just said is completely.. OK I don't know when you're beong sarcastic and when you are not so I'll just mention that PS2 had many casual gamers so that argument is null and void..

RolStoppable said:
If you assume that Nintendo fails to attract core gamers with the Wii, you must also assume that Sony and Microsoft fail to attract core gamers with their systems as well, because the PS3 and 360 sell slower than PS2, Xbox and GC combined did.

ooooooooooh snap!