By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is it to late for Nintendo to win back the core gamer

Im a multi format owner and have had fun playing all the consoles so far in this gen.

Nintendo have done a great job at gaining a new audience and have still managed to release some excellent core games along the way. Most of their Wii updates i think are far superior to the GameCube prequels, Mario Galaxy, Kart, Smash, Zelda and Metroid are some of the best games ive played this gen.

However its very obvious that the wii is having an awful holiday season for core gamers like myself. Currently there are 10 wii games in the top 50 for the week ending 31st October. They are:

1. Wii Sports - Bundled with the console
  2. Wii Fit - Cool exercise software but not a typical game
  3. Guitar Hero: World Tour - Multi format casual game
  4. Mario Kart Wii - Good game but over 6 months old
  5. Wii Play - Harmless fun, good freebie with your additional wiimote
  6. Wii Music - Supposedly poor mans Guitar Hero
  7. Super Smash Bros Brawl - Good game but over 6 months old
  8. Super Mario Galaxy - AMAZING GAME but over 12 months old
  9. Carnival Games - A poor party game, scares me to think this might over take Warioware in sales
  10. FIFA 09 - Decent football game but multi format and prob inferior to the HD versions
I think only 4 of these (4, 7, 8 & 10), can be considered core games 3 of which are far from new releases and with the current release schedule it isnt gonna change this side of new years.

Personally it doesn't effect me much, like i said im a multi format owner and can happily play Gears 2, Little Big Planet etc whilst i wait for the new Punch Out. But what about others?

Is it to late for Nintendo to win back the core gamer? Or have they given up and moved on?

Around the Network

yes because gears 2 came out...

^^ and resistance 2

It's too late :/ S&P 2 and punch out! won't safe the day :p

He said core gamers, not them hardcore players who need to kill someone every thirty seconds in a game or they lose interest. 8D

Around the Network

No, it is not too late. We are already aware of some games that are going to be released in 2009. Don't forget Nintendo's strategy of announcing games only a few months before release. Who knows what we could get next year.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

retroking1981 said:

However its very obvious that the wii is having an awful holiday season for core gamers like myself. Currently there are 10 wii games in the top 50 for the week ending 31st October. They are:

Is it to late for Nintendo to win back the core gamer? Or have they given up and moved on?

No, beucase you used core wrong. Core means the main consumers of your line. So Nintendo fans are Nintendo's core buyers, just as PS fans are Sony's core buyers.

With this in mind, Nintendo doesn't have to win them over. Smash Bros and Mario Kart already released and Animal Crossing is on the way.

Many gamers have cried fowl, but those who are upset are the same ones who have always been. They see Nintendo winning and are mad; they continue to be becuase Nintendo's value's are different then Sony's and Microsoft's. The core gamers should be pleased. It's the "hardcore" who aren't.

In 2010 there will be good news for core gamers concerning 1st party games.
But you won't have to wait that much for 3rd party games, since there's quite a few coming in 2009.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Is it too late for me to not see this exact same thread every day?

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

It's not too late, but I think it's probably too late to ensure that the Wii is the core gamer's only system.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."