By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The Big Boss: Resistance 2 sold about 1/4 of what Gears has sold in the week

darthdevidem01 said:
@cueil

in fact I have just recently decided to skip Resistance 2 for Killzone 2....get Mirror's Edge instead.

And many PS3 owners in NA will skip R2 to buy COD5.

Around the Network

@Wiistation360

I share your confusion....

BTW PES 09 when Japan will be added should be the 4th best (that is after Resistance 2 is counted)

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

@shanbcn

exactly....check out squilliam's thread.....he's made a really good analysis on why Resistance won't reach Resistance 1's LTD....competition!

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

That's very good for NA only. It will easily break 1 million worldwide.

hotrodx said:
If the figures are correct, by itself R2's opening is impressive.

I think it's just the inevitable comparison with the initial sales of Gears 2 that gives the feeling of that it "lost". But 400k is not bad on anyone's book.

Maybe it should be a lesson for everyone (360, PS3, Wii owners alike) not to make the "Game X will pulverize Game Y" kind of predictions. Eventually, someone will lose and be taken down by it, rather than just enjoying the game, which we all should be doing.

My sentiments exactly. Certain games receive so much hype, expectations get blown out of proportion. It's blowback plain and simple. Yet people will still continue to over hype games unfortunately. Even in this thread people can't help themselves from doing so.

Around the Network
darthdevidem01 said:
If anything DESERVES TO BE CALLED "BOMBED"

its Motorstorm : Pacific Rift....this year.

there NO EXCUSE for it to sell so low....NO EXCUSE AT ALL!

It sold below Haze's & Too Human's 1st weeks..

The problem with Motorstorm 2 and Resistance 2 is that people are expecting sales like the originals did.  The originals were good games that benefitted hugely by being launch titles.  The best launch titles dominate early sales and get boosts because of that. Only occasionally does a launch title sequel do nearly as well. Were talking Mario and Halo type titles.  Look at PGR for the Xbox, PGR2 didnt do nearly as well 2 years later (just like Motorstorm 2) although it was the better game and had Xbox Live support.

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

Those numbers are good,but I expected a bit more.
Also I think in Europe the opening week will be smaller,but it will sell more there(lifetime).

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

thx1139 said:

The problem with Motorstorm 2 and Resistance 2 is that people are expecting sales like the originals did.  The originals were good games that benefitted hugely by being launch titles.  The best launch titles dominate early sales and get boosts because of that. Only occasionally does a launch title sequel do nearly as well. Were talking Mario and Halo type titles.  Look at PGR for the Xbox, PGR2 didnt do nearly as well 2 years later (just like Motorstorm 2) although it was the better game and had Xbox Live support.

It also has to do with the fact that launch titles don't have much competition.

Also in R2 and MS:PR's case,they were bundled.

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

so confirmed even multiplatform titles can have better sales than R2

not tat good considering R2 wil not have long leg, KZ2 is around the corner.

Gear will have long leg.

dejelek said:
so confirmed even multiplatform titles can have better sales than R2 (what are the two best selling game of this gen on Xbox/PS3?)

not that good considering R2 will not have long legs, KZ2 is around the corner.

Gears will have long legs.

When was the last time 3 months was called a corner? Anyway, they can co-exist and even with KZ 2 "around the corner" the holiday will be over, and the game should have sold several million by then anyway